What circular saw do you suggest

WeldfabNeil

My vote would be for a Skilsaw as well. My corded backup is an older, made in the USA Skil 5155 that used to belong to my Mom before she passed away. She used the snot out of it as she was the handy person around the house (pretty sure it had to do with growing up on a farm as all four of her younger brothers are great woodworkers and/or car restoration guys) and it still works today.

I have an old Ryobi corded that I inherited that has always worked when I needed it...but I've never heard this question asked and not have Skilsaw win by a large margin, like Coca-cola versus RC Cola margin.

Hey BMack, I bet that older saw is still running good? My Dad gave me his old Craftsman 7-1/4" saw which I replaced the cord on and it is still going strong!

Hey BMack, I bet that older saw is still running good? My Dad gave me his old Craftsman 7-1/4" saw which I replaced the cord on and it is still going strong!

I have a 15 amp craftsman professional circ that's actually a pretty nice saw, eventually I want a skilsaw but for now it works very nice. Has some bright LEDs and a decent laser.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need a new corded circular saw. I have a millwakee fuel cordless but gotta replace my corded.

Lotsa recommendations for stuff he didn't ask for...

I've been using the GF's son's old Skil on the few times I've needed a portable circular saw, but at some point I'm gonna pick up a couple (or more);

maybe the Ridgid Fuego 6-1/2";

maybe the DeWalt with brake, maybe the Makita sidewinder, maybe the Skil that Chris mentioned;

for a wormdrive the Makita Mg, Bosch and Skil Mag LT are all in the running.

Dewalt corded/ cordless saws are garbage for 6.5

This statement is garbage. The cordless dewalt saw is the best brushed unit around and still a very capable unit. Same with the Bosch.

The Dewalt lightweight (high-power) 7-1/4" circular saw is all anyone recommended around here for a while.

• Like 1

This statement is garbage. The cordless dewalt saw is the best brushed unit around and still a very capable unit. Same with the Bosch.

The Dewalt lightweight (high-power) 7-1/4" circular saw is all anyone recommended around here for a while.

Well to me and and coming from a production framing stand point where im making easily over 2000 cuts a day 5 to 6 days aweek that dewalt circ saws are garbage really only wormdrives can make the cut except for milwaukee and makita brushless saws and even them being blade left 6.5s we dont use no stupid saw horses we cut the wood off are feet we dont use miter saws or tracksaws we cut miters and bevels all with a wormdrive not ajusting the shoe just twisting the machine its self and i can say iv seen a lot of dewalt tools fail on the feild and i can say i know a lot of pro framers young and old who will say dewalt circ saws are junk sorry if this rubs you the wrong way but thats how it is

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

you can't get any better analysis other than from someone using a product 50-60 hours a week putting it through it's paces. I agree 100% if you are using a product that much you will soon find out what model will make the cut....(no pun intended) I'm sure an accountant can tell you which pencils are better than others too.....

Have you heard of the expression "the Real McCoy"

The expression associated with Elijah McCoy's oil-drip cup invention (patented in 1872).One theory is that railroad engineers looking to avoid inferior copies would request it by name, inquiring if a locomotive was fitted with 'the real McCoy system"

Just a stupid question, but here goes:

Here in Norway, the skil brand only sells the cheapest and worst kind of equipment. Sometimes even cheaper than other chinese no-brands. Skilsaw circular saw costs well under 50 bucks. And 90$ for their higher end shit.

But here at the forum, and in USA in general, it is regarded as a fairly good brand. Why? Do they have a very large price and quality span, and only ship the shit to europe? Or is it only their older stuff thats any good?

Or anything else? This has, frankly speaking, made me wonder a couple of times. :s

Whats going on here?! :P

All Brands whether its skil,makita,dewalt,milwaukee or whomever Has higher and lower end stuff we all know that. Before coming to this forum a coupole years ago I thought skil was lower end low quality stuff. Back in the day it wasnt so and I think they probably realized they messed up and started making improvements to get back where they once were.

Out in the world you always hear Circulars being called "skilsaws".  Afterall they did invent the style and the model 77 is considered the saw that built america being manufactured prior to WWII.  As for the models being presented to you European folks being lesser,Id imagine its because they probably couldnt compete with your brands there.

Just a stupid question, but here goes:

Here in Norway, the skil brand only sells the cheapest and worst kind of equipment. Sometimes even cheaper than other chinese no-brands. Skilsaw circular saw costs well under 50 bucks. And 90$ for their higher end shit.

But here at the forum, and in USA in general, it is regarded as a fairly good brand. Why? Do they have a very large price and quality span, and only ship the shit to europe? Or is it only their older stuff thats any good?

Or anything else? This has, frankly speaking, made me wonder a couple of times. :s

Whats going on here?! :P

There is Skil and Skilsaw now so your absolutely right there! Skilsaw has been rebranded pro grade and they are making high end circular saws not whereas you can get. Skil brand saw that might not be up to snuff! I don't buy Skil brand tools but the Skilsaw I have is a totally different story. I think I added the link, I'm not sure you can review it in your country but those saws are really super nice saws. Absolutely love my SPT77WM magnesium saw. Super nice cutter!
  • Like 1

Oh and @Andrull , not a stupid question. It really is quite confusing!

There is Skil and Skilsaw now so your absolutely right there! Skilsaw has been rebranded pro grade and they are making high end circular saws not whereas you can get. Skil brand saw that might not be up to snuff! I don't buy Skil brand tools but the Skilsaw I have is a totally different story. I think I added the link, I'm not sure you can review it in your country but those saws are really super nice saws. Absolutely love my SPT77WM magnesium saw. Super nice cutter!

Woha, thanks! That explaines a lot. :D The devil's in the detail. :P Did not occur to me that it was two different brands/branches at all. And yes, the saw's I was looking at was saw from Skil, not Skilsaw. ^^

• Like 1

Well to me and and coming from a production framing stand point where im making easily over 2000 cuts a day 5 to 6 days aweek that dewalt circ saws are garbage really only wormdrives can make the cut except for milwaukee and makita brushless saws and even them being blade left 6.5s we dont use no stupid saw horses we cut the wood off are feet we dont use miter saws or tracksaws we cut miters and bevels all with a wormdrive not ajusting the shoe just twisting the machine its self and i can say iv seen a lot of dewalt tools fail on the feild and i can say i know a lot of pro framers young and old who will say dewalt circ saws are junk sorry if this rubs you the wrong way but thats how it is

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

it doesn't rub me the wrong way, but 2000 cuts a day is not the intended use for a cordless circ saw, especially a brushed one. It sounds like its definitely the wrong tool for you, but the 20V Dewalt circ saw is a very decent cordless saw for many users.

The bottom line is it all boils down to the user. I have my Dads Black and decker Saw Cat and that thing has to be close to 45 years old and it is a good saw. I also have my two worm drive saws but, I don't use them much any more. My big framing days are over. The saw I use the most these days is my Milwaukee M18 7 1/4 

The worm drive is a nice saw, however, I think it is too heavy for just basic homeowner use. I mean are you just cutting a little lumber? Or cutting tails off your pitched roof? I think you could get into a DeWalt or Makita corded saw for arounf $100.00 that would suit you just fine. With that being said, if you are looking to make rips and use the saw all day long then maybe the Skil is the saw for you.

Thanks,

FB82