what 18v line would u consider best?? Carpenter

jackfinzo

Loaded question beckoning a BUNCH of loaded answers. ;)

Hope your wearing boots ;)

Seriously. It's up to you. What do you want your tools to do? What do you do? Do you work in the trades? If so are you in mechanical or carpentry? Are you a woodworker?

I have a ton of different brands but Dewalt, Bosch and Makita are my favorites. They all fall behind my Festool tools.

Jason mentioned Coptools article. I just read it and it was really informative..

Also welcome to the forum.

I agree with Chris, (loaded question) it's just like what do Plumbers prefer? Ridgid or Rothenberger? Electricians for Klein or Greenlee? What do you need your Brand to do? All are great tools, I believe it comes down to preference. I love Hilti, love Makita, love Bosch, used to love Porter Cable, always loved Milwaukee, loved Dewalt for a short time. And I still love my Paslode nailers..

And a lot of time it depends on your budget.

There are a lot of great cordless tools coming down the Pike and I like many others here are keeping my eyes and ears open for the new releases... Good luck in your choices Jack

• Like 2

I'm on the path to recovery dude. Admission of the problem is the path to healing ;)

No Chris, you are on a path to having the baddest basement workshop around...recovery, not so much!

I'm in the Makita, Bosch and Ryobi cordless platforms. I used to be pretty evenly distributed by brand until Dan and Eric were kind enough to increase my Bosch lineup! I have to say I am really impressed with Bosch. They have a lot of solid tools. I am not in the trades, just an avid DIYer but my needs tend to gravitate toward woodworking. Between the Bosch and Makita cordless tools I have or have access to everything I need. Honestly there isn't a wrong choice out of everything mentioned so far. It blows my mind how many great brands are out there for us that we can argue minutia as to which brand is better. We are some lucky junkies!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

See what you started? Just kidding lol

In all seriousness whether you go Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee your not going to go wrong. I have no experience with Hilti but I've never heard anything bad about them. Myself I have Dewalt 20v and Milwaukee m12. Just recently I bought into the m18 line for saws.

Chrisk mentioned it, look at your needs and what can you get out of a battery platform, don't get caught up trying to have the biggest bad ass drill on the market because you'll go broke every year when each companies have their torque pissing contest. All brands are great and just one 18v platform may not do it, don't be afraid to dip into another line, so what you have two different chargers.

I know kruton has a few different 18v brands and he enjoys them.

So go to the store, pick up some tools and see what you like, who cares if the Dewalt impact has 25 more torques than the Milwaukee. So don't stress and go have fun buying some power tools!!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Your wrong Fazzman. It's a community of sick bastards who crave a constant fix for the tool addictions with no support network resulting in a continuous downwards circle into complete and utter tool destruction. How the heck am I supposed to eat cereal with an impact gun???????

. Chrisk! BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! It's sooooo true!!!!
  • Like 5

. Chrisk! BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! It's sooooo true!!!![emoji48][emoji12][emoji12][emoji15][emoji15]. I'm a hardcore DIY guy in the beginning stages of wood working and I also do a lot of mechanic work here at the house and at the shop I work at and milwaukee covers me in the impact wrench and right angel impact category but I'm mostly invested into the Dewalt 20v line which has been great to me I need to catch up with there cordless nailer line plus there's been sightings of there new brushless planer that shouldn't be to far behind, I'm like chrisk and many others on here who own multiple brands and enjoy it, it's like owning the best of all worlds. Good luck in making a tough decision and Welcome to this super crazy group of tool junkies that we call the TIA crew!!

Couldn't be said better, don't feel like you need to be tied to one brand.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I should hope not, the hilti stuff is already 3 years old. My brushed drill has 1060 inch pounds of torque, the newest Milwaukee and makita "BRUSHLESS" stuff is only 1090.

Hilti makes great stuff that lasts.

That said, I know from experience having owned a full set of Milwaukee m18 fuel tools, that they are quite decent, but a little shy of the marketing hype.

It just seems that makita and Dewalt are more carpenter friendly!

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

The Milwaukee fuel 2 hammer drill has 1200 in lbs but yeah it's not that huge a difference. That all being said, even though it's too nice for the job, I was mixing mortar this afternoon with a big eggbeater type mixer with my new fuel 2 hammer to see how it would handle it and it almost ripped the 5 gallon pail out from my ankles ;)

Honesty these days so many tools are well made and if you stick with a name brand it's getting tough to find real stinkers. Find the tools you need in the price you want and see if you like how they feel because it's going in your hand in the end. I don't think you can really go wrong with Hilti, Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Rigid or even Ryobi has tools that can't be beat for the price in some cases. If there are a couple of must needed tools you need go by those and pick your platform from there....

im living in Ireland so there is no such thing as getting a feel for the tools!! i always buy all my tools from USA although it does mean high import and shipping charges its still cheaper than over here!! i do have experience with the dewalt 20v line as stated above!! and i must say i do like them but the circular saw blade is only 6.5 inches and there burshed units! thanks jack!

I'm in ireland also, is it not better to buy from Europe on ebay and not pay import charges. I buy all my makita stuff from a german seller.
  • Like 1

This is the exact reason I created a comparison spreadsheet, so you could pick what tools are most important to you and then let the maths do the rest.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/143rz-J-plq2kG9uCfXfkpTkd-zHgFpwc6KfcM1FbPwg/edit

To me, all the hammer drills produced by the main brands are excellent and will do a carpenter fine. Impact drivers are probably Makita then Milwaukee then Dewalt, but again, all great.

The jigsaws are probably all decent, with my vote going to bosch and makita.

I think you should focus on circular saw performance, and if you might be going to buy cordless nailers.

I pick Makita or Milwaukee as equal best overall for your overall needs. The drill, impact, jigsaw, circular saw are all excellent. with their saws you can get the 7.25" AND/OR the 6.5". You also have the option of getting a planer with these brands too.

If you are OK with having two brands, I would then add Dewalt for their nailers.

If other skins will sway you:

Multi-tool - Makita

SDS - Milwaukee / Dewalt

Compact Drill - Milwaukee / Dewalt

Grinder - Makita / Milwaukee

Recip - Milwaukee (maybe Makita when BL arrives)

Stapler - Makita

Holehawg - Milwaukee

• Like 1

I'm in ireland also, is it not better to buy from Europe on ebay and not pay import charges. I buy all my makita stuff from a german seller.

any chance you can give me that German sellers contact email or address??  I do buy Europe but when its a big purchase USA seems to win hands down!! Also for anyone in USA if ye have a go to seller who is very good on price that ye think will ship Nationwide please let me know!! once again thanks a mill and i really couldn't of gotten a better welcome to the site!! :D

Also another reason i think i should buy USA tools is that your arbour size is different to European! that may sound like a negative but really its a positive as your blades are so much cheaper! and also a better selection!! must say if i am big fan of the makita brushless 6.5 inch circular saw. just seems that it would be a bit too bulky at times!

Wow... thats alot of questions in 1 post m8 =)

Short answer: 

For carpenting / woodworking/ etc... ?  Makita

Long Answer:

Disclaimer: All of the big brands : Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Hilti make great tools

Circular saw - Either Milwaukee or Makita.  Both have a brushless saw out. Milwaukee's is somewhat bigger and heaver but with a 7/14 blade. Makita has a compact lightweight model with a smaller blade.  If you want the absolute top in power and speed then makita's 18X2 model has you covered. It's a beast.

Jigsaw - No doubt: Makita Brushless. Get the barrel grip one. Easily the best Cordless Jigsaw imo. ChrisK keeps raving about it ;)

Hammer drill- Milwaukee Gen 2 Fuel or Makita XPH07.   Both extremely powerfull Brushless drills. Makita's is heavier and bigger. Milwaukee's tend to have a bigger chance of chuck wobble ( which will be fixed under warranty ) and the handle design isn't up to par for the torque that this thing puts out. Reviews have mentioned the handle slipping of the tool when it binds up and rounding out the metal edges of the tool.

Impact driver - Milwaukee Gen 2 is close but nothing beats Makita's DTD148  3 speed Brushless model.  Smaller, lighter, and ALOT more rpm's.

sds plus - Milwaukee m18 fuel  --> Check out coptool website for a comparison reviews between the models.

three 5amp/hr batteries - Unfortunately there's no way to 'test' which batteries are the best. Nowadays all brands produce good batteries with the warranty to back them up.  All brands had their share of bad lion designs.  Makita's 3.0 amps.  Milwaukee V18 platform.  Bosch's older 2.6 amp batteries. All brands heave learned and nowadays they all feature an electronic package that keeps your tool and your batteries safe. 

charger - Makita. More important then you think,  because it's the speed of charging that will keep you working all day long on heavy Amp operations like SDS drilling / Grinding / etc...  Less time on the charger means more time working. Also kudos to both Makita and Milwaukee for Multiport chargers.

probably basic light -   I guess you mean a compact drill?  10.8V or a compact 18V to go with your Beast drill mentioned above? 

Some specials:

Dewalt has the cordless second fix nailer.  Something like this is not offered yet by the other brands

Makita has a few cordless carpenter specific tools:  Cordless Sander, Pin Nailer, Biscuit Joiner   and in januari / February there is a kick ass compact Cordless Mitre saw coming out. A cordless Mitre saw with LONG runtime and the same power as a corded model.

My 2 cents !

• Like 2

wow tool junkie thanks for such a detailed post! yes i have seen most of what you mentioned i do do strongly agree with it too! below is what i think ill be getting. still undecided between the 18v or 36v makita.  sorry as for light i actually mean torch rather than an extra drill! may consider another drill too tho ;) thanks lads!!

Makita XSH03 6-1/2″ Circular Saw OR Makita 36v XSH01Z Circular Saw
MAKITA 18V BRUSHLESS IMPACT DRIVER 18V LXT Quick-Shift Mode XDT09Z
Makita XPH07 / DHP481 Brushless 18V LXT Hammer Drill/Driver
Makita LXT Jigsaws - 18v Cordless Brushless D grip handle OR barrel grip
Makita 18V 15/16” XRH01Z  OR  Makita 36V 1” XRH05Z probably the lighter 18v one!
Makita basic 18v torch not fussy just something cheap
DEWALT DCN660 20V Max Brushless 16 Gauge Angled Finish Nailer - DCN660B / DCN660D1 with 2 batteries
also want 3-4  4amp/hr makita batteries and a rapid charger.

I think the above will have me sorted/covered for now!? :P

wow tool junkie thanks for such a detailed post! yes i have seen most of what you mentioned i do do strongly agree with it too! below is what i think ill be getting. still undecided between the 18v or 36v makita. sorry as for light i actually mean torch rather than an extra drill! may consider another drill too tho ;) thanks lads!!

Makita XSH03 6-1/2″ Circular Saw OR Makita 36v XSH01Z Circular Saw

MAKITA 18V BRUSHLESS IMPACT DRIVER 18V LXT Quick-Shift Mode XDT09Z

Makita XPH07 / DHP481 Brushless 18V LXT Hammer Drill/Driver

Makita LXT Jigsaws - 18v Cordless Brushless D grip handle OR barrel grip

Makita 18V 15/16” XRH01Z OR Makita 36V 1” XRH05Z probably the lighter 18v one!

Makita basic 18v torch not fussy just something cheap

DEWALT DCN660 20V Max Brushless 16 Gauge Angled Finish Nailer - DCN660B / DCN660D1 with 2 batteries

also want 3-4 4amp/hr makita batteries and a rapid charger.

I think the above will have me sorted/covered for now!? :P

Think of warranty when u buy outside of Europe. European repair centres probably won't touch U.S models so what your saving buying from there is only giving you unwarranted tools really unless your happy posting back to the U.S for repairs

Well rapid chargers are standard in each kit with Makita. Not something you have to buy 'extra '

And i musunderstood the 'light' part yes ^^

In all honesty: Do you need 65mm depth of cut?  then go for the dual 18v battery saw.  Can you get around with 52mm depth of cut?  Then go for the brushless single battery saw because it's such a powerfull but small compact piece of work.

depth of cut isn't an issue its more about blades!! not sure what its like over there but here blades are not only very expensive but iv limited choice!! as i previously mentioned the fact im most likely buying from USA it will be different arbour size anyway so ill get a load of blades while im at it! wouldn't i be right in saying 7 1/4 are both cheaper and more available? thanks jack.

exactly what i believe but on the second page of this discussion an Irish guy said he buys off a German salesman and reckons its well priced!! Unfortunately he hasn't commented since!!   hopefully he gets back. also i have realised a lot of ebay sellers are not as willing to mess around with the cost and shipping rated to try dodge import taxes!!!! last time i made a big purchase they were all willing and i managed to get a great bargain!!