6ah and 9ah battery coming!!!

Trident167

Just now, Daniel Julian said:

It doesn't looked balanced well. Seems like it would be too heavy in the back.

I don't know - the motor is probably pretty heavy and up front and you have the knob up top.  My complaint would be that the handle looks a bit thick.  The grip area of the M18 OMT is huge in comparison to the Dewalt 20v and just a lot harder to hold on to if you don't have gigantic hands.

23 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

So the 9.0 won't work on the Sawzall? Hmmm sounds like a gen 2 maybe be in the works

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it will work.  There's no reason not to.  If I had to guess I'd say it's about which tools have the electronics and motor to deliver more power, but the stand light is in there so it's probably just marketing wank.

I'm sure it will work.  There's no reason not to.  If I had to guess I'd say it's about which tools have the electronics and motor to deliver more power, but the stand light is in there so it's probably just marketing wank.

Just wondering if they did something with the battery where only certain tools will accept it, with the actually connector.

16 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Just wondering if they did something with the battery where only certain tools will accept it, with the actually connector.

That would mean that they would need to come out with an entire new charger, which would make people even less likely to adapt to the new batteries. If some tools can connect to current and the new batteries, then it would also mean the new batteries don't have anything new in them so that they would be compatible. Most likely they figured the weight would make them less likely to be used. I know with the circular saw, you can only have a battery of a cetain height, otherwise the battery would either hit the shoe or hang lower than the shoe, which just won't work.

I can say with 100% certainty though that new Fuel and One Key impact driver/hammer drill kits have cases that will fit tools with batteries far bigger than the 5.0 they currently come with.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

So the 9.0 won't work on the Sawzall? Hmmm sounds like a gen 2 maybe be in the works

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that chart is showing you which tools you'll see a significant benefit.  The sawzall doesn't eat batteries for lunch such that a super high cap battery will change your experience significantly.  The SDS-MAX+ or the stand light go through batteries like crazy, so the higher cap battery is worth the expense / weight.  I'm sure you could stick the 9.0 on the M18 LED light or the USB charger and it would work, but those tools already last so long, it's not going to be worth the effort.  I also suspect that the 9.0 will really be best paired with the rapid charger.  The legacy charger will just take forever to fill it up.

That would mean that they would need to come out with an entire new charger, which would make people even less likely to adapt to the new batteries. If some tools can connect to current and the new batteries, then it would also mean the new batteries don't have anything new in them so that they would be compatible. Most likely they figured the weight would make them less likely to be used. I know with the circular saw, you can only have a battery of a cetain height, otherwise the battery would either hit the shoe or hang lower than the shoe, which just won't work.

I can say with 100% certainty though that new Fuel and One Key impact driver/hammer drill kits have cases that will fit tools with batteries far bigger than the 5.0 they currently come with.

Would just be a different tab like Makita did with their packs with electronics in it, just a physical tab.

2 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Would just be a different tab like Makita did with their packs with electronics in it, just a physical tab.

But wouldn't those tools already out have to already have the provisions for that extra tab? if they do I haven't seen mention of it anywhere.

More than likely, my thinking is the tools that they consider high capacity or heavy duty have heavier gauge wiring and electronics in them (and possibly motors as well) to take advantage of the higher current pack capability.

My other thought is that they are just labeling them that way so what when they are selling the tool as a kit, they only will put the 9.0 batteries in certain kits labeled heavy duty, rather than try to explain why they aren't including the 9.0 batteries in all kits or more kits.

But wouldn't those tools already out have to already have the provisions for that extra tab? if they do I haven't seen mention of it anywhere.

More than likely, my thinking is the tools that they consider high capacity or heavy duty have heavier gauge wiring and electronics in them (and possibly motors as well) to take advantage of the higher current pack capability.

My other thought is that they are just labeling them that way so what when they are selling the tool as a kit, they only will put the 9.0 batteries in certain kits labeled heavy duty, rather than try to explain why they aren't including the 9.0 batteries in all kits or more kits.

Yes, but the tools showed under 9.0 are newer so that was my thought process maybe the 9.0s aren't compatable in older tools, that's what happened with Makita when they came out with their 4 and 5 ah their older tools don't have protection to handle the higher amp draw.

Just looking farther into it than what's there!

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yes, but the tools showed under 9.0 are newer so that was my thought process maybe the 9.0s aren't compatable in older tools, that's what happened with Makita when they came out with their 4 and 5 ah their older tools don't have protection to handle the higher amp draw.

Just looking farther into it than what's there!

Ok, well not sure what to make sense of this.

I pulled out the new impact I got and the new impact driver. Both of the 5.0 batteries have 5 slots with connections inside. The tools themselves have 4 phyisical tabs to connect to the batteries and do not use the middle tab. The charger however uses the first 4 tabs in the charge process but not the 5th tab to one side. So I'm thinking that the middle tab may be a secondary power tap? (for more power or faster charging) And that the newer tools have 5 tabs in the bottom and can take advantage of that middle battery tab.

Ok, well not sure what to make sense of this.

I pulled out the new impact I got and the new impact driver. Both of the 5.0 batteries have 5 slots with connections inside. The tools themselves have 4 phyisical tabs to connect to the batteries and do not use the middle tab. The charger however uses the first 4 tabs in the charge process but not the 5th tab to one side. So I'm thinking that the middle tab may be a secondary power tap? (for more power or faster charging) And that the newer tools have 5 tabs in the bottom and can take advantage of that middle battery tab.

Makita has a physical stop on tab on higher amp packs that prevent them from going in older tools. It's just a tab and the newer tools have a groove in them to accept the newer packs. Doesn't sound like Milwaukee is doing this to the 9.0

That's a significant list of tools that will see benefit Proto. I'm interested to see if these will be $199 or what price point they'll hit here in Canada. 

Jimbo, I can't see them being exclusive to specific tools. Milwaukee burned too many bridges with V18 to go down that road again.

2 minutes ago, Bremon said:

That's a significant list of tools that will see benefit Proto. I'm interested to see if these will be $199 or what price point they'll hit here in Canada. 

Jimbo, I can't see them being exclusive to specific tools. Milwaukee burned too many bridges with V18 to go down that road again.

Yea you guys are right, just over read into their diagram there

Oh I would say it's different. I didn't pay attention to the tool world at the time but from my understanding v18 was only around for a couple years, (maybe 2?) whereas if anything, dewalt's continued legacy support has at times seemed to hold them back.

Milwaukee made the change to electronics etc. like ripping off a bandaid, and hurt some feelings in the process.

Dewalt dominating the market at that point means ripping off the bandaid quickly hurts more people, so they've been slowly doing it one hair at a time, with continued legacy support and new adapters etc. 

From my understanding v18 batteries were temperamental and not particularly reliable. It's not that Milwaukee changed that gets mud slung in their direction, it's that they basically said "hey, what we told you was the latest and greatest last year sucks now, and we want a mulligan. Second times the charm, trust us".

11 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Thing is, its going to be a big battery, so it will be hard for Milwaukee to make a compact sized unit using a 9AH battery I think.

Exactly. Even now the 5.0 battery that comes with the impact driver actually seems and feels too big. I think it weighs as much as the tool and is as big as the top of the driver too. (actually bigger) The battery helps with the 1800 inch pound torque rating but you don't always need that much. I'm looking at getting a compact battery just so the driver seems easier to handle.

To help clarify the debate, or maybe just to add fuel to the fire, I took a picture of the battery slot on my 2604 next to the battery slot on the stand light. They are identical.

19eb990d22ff57f7375cfc085fabc39a.jpg

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't electronic differences to allow the stand light to take better advantage of a 9.0 battery or that it won't work better with a large pack, but mechanically they seem to be the same.