Are Milwaukee measuring tapes good?

electromage

I just picked up their 25' "General Contractor", and it feels like good quality, much nicer to handle than the hard chrome Stanley. I got it home and started testing it out, and at some point it twisted backwards, as they do - but instead of just snapping back it actually ripped. I've seen Stanley and Lufkin snap a lot and never a tear like this, even with "standout competitions".

Is this something that's generally bad for any tape to do, is it a defect in my copy, or does Milwaukee make junk tapes?

HBoN2bxl.jpg

Basically I'm wondering if I should try to exchange it for a new one or just steer clear of their measuring tapes.

Wow. I've had mine for quite a while without problem. I'd be sure to return it for free replacement. My Stanley Bostitch FatMax is the bomb and I use my FastCaps constantly without problem. I like my Milwaukee but my biggest problem is its kind of heavy. Really rugged though. Make sure you contact their warranty service, Milwaukee takes the cake with that area. You'll have a new one in a couple of days.

I have one and it just twists really bad once it gets overly extended, never had one rip. These days I've been into the dewalt tape measure, that thing is awesome, no bells and whistles, it just works but it has the fractional measurements printed out for quick measurements.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been using my Milwaukee tape for about 2 weeks now. I am in commercial construction so it gets abused pretty good. I have had no breakage issues with it. You may have gotten a bunk tape. Haven't seen one do that right out of the gate before.

The only issue with mine is that the hook slips on the edge of metal studs pretty bad. That's a pretty big issue for me.

I've used a buddy's Mil tape and they seem okay, but none give me the natural feel of a FatMax. I've beat the ever-living piss out of mine and aside from some delamination on the underside of my tape in the first couple of feet (does nothing anyway), they take an amazing amount of abuse. I dropped my 35ft from a 4th story scaffold, expected it to explode before I even went to look, I let it lay there all day... and aside from chipping off a piece of the lock lever, no problems. That was a few years ago and It's still going like new. Love the predictability of the standout as well, I can always tell within a few inches if it's going to pop or not. 

I have used about 4 of their tapes, I prefer the straight 16'. I have one get a knick on the blade and after continued use it finally ripped off one day. That's the worst I've had happen. I love their finger saver thing under the tape. The older version tape. My next go to is a kobalt 16' its small and compact and easy to read with a similar fibre blade on it which is less reflective and easy to read.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

I don't know if its just me but every tape regardless of manufacturer when fully extended it will get stuck and not retract back in. So I stopped pulling it out all the way and just stop at 20 feet if it is a 25 foot tape and my tapes last much longer. Theirs brands I haven't tried yet like Klein and DeWalt but I have tried a lot of others and have had the same retraction problem.