What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Just picked up this little jewel a few days ago while at Lowes.  I've been looking for a small portable air compressor that would not wake the dead.  After much deliberation and research I decided to try the Kobalt Quiet Tech out.  It looks like a clone of the California Air Tools brand and I think Husky has one almost identical.  I wasn't real sure about it until I heard it running.  All I can say is IMPRESSIVE!  Extremely quiet when compared to a traditional portable oil less compressor.  I purchased the extended warranty because I had a bad experience with a Kobalt compressor a few years ago.  I down loaded a noise app to do a side by side comparison and there was about a 10 decibel difference.  The Quiet Tech came in at 63 decibels with the traditional compressor coming in at 74.  That's a pretty sizable difference when your after quiet.  By the way after some testing I discovered a typical hair dryer runs at 70 decibels, shop Vac was 80.  The app is not a calibrated instrument but it gives a good idea of how loud your tools are.  As you can see it fit perfectly in my newly renovated mobile tool cart. 

kobalt air compresor.jpeg

I have the same air compressor and love it. Hope it last. I use it a lot and so far it has been good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Mrs. Conductor bought lots of shit. We fill up her car every year, but this year was the worst yet. She rode home with a shop vac on her lap and I literally had to stuff the last couple of bags in the window ?

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

You have a keeper there. My wife is the same way she goes nuts in a tool store and gun store.  She is always asking me do we have one of those? When I say no she tells me we need one.  What more could a guy want?

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, metaljunkie said:

You have a keeper there. My wife is the same way she goes nuts in a tool store and gun store.  She is always asking me do we have one of those? When I say no she tells me we need one.  What more could a guy want?

Wow, sounds like a keeper!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SevenOddosFence said:

Picked this is for $89 with Lowes 10 off

lost 10lbs from sweating putting it together - there instructions might as well be in another language 

IMG_0402.JPG

The instructions were terrible! Assembly wasn't hard at all, but figuring out which bolts to use was a real guessing game at first.

• Like 4

So, long story short...10" sliding miter with free miter stand, and $10 set of drill bits. Drill bits I have enough of, but ten bucks for 30 bits is too good to pass up. I have a set of black oxide Ryobi bits that have served me well for a long time, figured these can't be too bad. The miter saw was a wish-list thing...always wanted a slider and couldn't pass up Home Depot Black Friday deal...$169 for the saw and they toss in a free stand. Can't pass up free and the saw will get used enough to justify the purchase.

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

• Like 8

So, long story short...10" sliding miter with free miter stand, and $10 set of drill bits. Drill bits I have enough of, but ten bucks for 30 bits is too good to pass up. I have a set of black oxide Ryobi bits that have served me well for a long time, figured these can't be too bad. The miter saw was a wish-list thing...always wanted a slider and couldn't pass up Home Depot Black Friday deal...$169 for the saw and they toss in a free stand. Can't pass up free and the saw will get used enough to justify the purchase.

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

I have a set of ryobi titanium bits that actually were my main bits for a long time, they are really good for what I paid for them

• Like 1

I have a set of Dewalt bits, actually two sets, and a few bits in each set broke the first time I used them. Broke a 1/4" into three pieces drilling soft metal, bent the 1/4" in the other set, and bent the 3/16" in both sets doing the same. I have a set of Ryobi bits that I've had for a long time, probably around 15 years, that are perfect, I haven't even bent the tiniest bits in that set. I figure for 10 bucks if these suck it was ten bucks, but if they last me a long time then I made out like a bandit. Heck, for that price I should go buy a couple more sets, just to have them...

• Like 3

I have a set of Dewalt bits, actually two sets, and a few bits in each set broke the first time I used them. Broke a 1/4" into three pieces drilling soft metal, bent the 1/4" in the other set, and bent the 3/16" in both sets doing the same. I have a set of Ryobi bits that I've had for a long time, probably around 15 years, that are perfect, I haven't even bent the tiniest bits in that set. I figure for 10 bucks if these suck it was ten bucks, but if they last me a long time then I made out like a bandit. Heck, for that price I should go buy a couple more sets, just to have them...

I've had mine about 2 years and I think I paid 20, they've outlast a lot of other bits I've used eh hem Milwaukee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kato said:

IMG_1559.JPG

Just check the centering of tips on those.  I've had some with the tip about two thirds of the way to one side which means pretty oversized nasty holes.  That's not a problem if you can re-grind them and don't need precision holes, or for that price get two sets and trash the bad bits.

• Like 1

I have to agree on the cheap sale rack DeWalt bits being trash. Any of my drills could have snapped those in a hurry and did. The "black oxide" ones seemed harder and would cut better but snapped instantly. The "gold oxide" ones seemed to like getting dull halfway through a hole if they are big enough to not break.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, comp56 said:

not technically a tool per say but it is for me as I use aPC in my shop for designing ect ect

so for a clean crisp picture I went for a Samsung 32" LED 1080P Monitor

444.jpg

Very nice - if you don't mind me asking where did you get it and did you get a good deal ? I'm looking for new pc monitor myself. 

• Like 1