What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

I've been seeing a lot of requests recently in high end residential for outlets to be put down low in base boards. I was told the trend comes from New York, I wonder if anyone else is seeing this. I hate it lol

Here it's just a matter of how old your house is. Old? Baseboard outlets lol. 

7 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Check online first, some stores have it regular price some like mine were $5-9. Also it's limited stock and Lowe's has a real time stock tracer on their site. I could only pull it up by searching "Torin"

Hopefully picking up another two 1/2" rails tomorrow.

No luck here.

10 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I have never seen a Header with 2x4s in the flat like that. In the north east they were always on edge with plywood in between. Out here in CA the framers that did my house used 4x6s on doors with a 34in opening. 

Around here you see it this way in non-bearing partitions.  In this particular building, headers in bearing walls are 2x12s sandwiched with plywood as you describe:

100_0339.JPG

In this shot you can see three different headers; non-bearing at the far left, bearing next to it, and farther back you can see a big honkin' engineered piece that supports about a 15' span.

• Like 5

Suddenly I want a new level:

level.png

Actually I was looking at levels, that's how I found this.  But I can't justify why I should want a new one.  I have a perfectly serviceable USA-made Craftsman heavy duty 48" aluminum level, and an American Level 48" model made out of mahogany and brass.  Both of them seem totally accurate, as far as I can tell by casual testing.  The wooden one is a thing of beauty but I rarely use it, because the Craftsman is lighter.

But I might as well ask what kind you guys like.

• Like 4

level.png

Actually I was looking at levels, that's how I found this.  But I can't justify why I should want a new one.  I have a perfectly serviceable USA-made Craftsman heavy duty 48" aluminum level, and an American Level 48" model made out of mahogany and brass.  Both of them seem totally accurate, as far as I can tell by casual testing.  The wooden one is a thing of beauty but I rarely use it, because the Craftsman is lighter.

I posted this in a thread a few hours ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

level.png

I like Empire levels and Milwaukee, but only the torpedoes not the new Red Stick's, they're too expensive for me. I also just got two OX Tools levels to try out. They seem well made but I haven't used them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I used to carry a Benchmade auto knife daily at work but I sold it to a buddy of mine a few years back because he kept pestering me about it and I needed the cash. I'm getting permissions from Gerber for their new auto knife but it has to go through an approval process because they are controlled tools/weapons. I'm not a hundred percent sold though as I still have two Gerber assisted opening knives and both have failed springs. I figure I'll get the new one am done try it out because of a discounted price. Worst case, meh. Best case? I've got a tool I can use at work that'll serve me well like my Leatherman MUT. 

Carry a Benchmade griptilian at work everyday. Iove Benchmade knives. So solid with virtually no play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dwasifar said:

level.png

I have all empire 24, 48 and 72. They just seem like the best bang for the buck as I don't use a level every day. I also have a Bosch laser lever.

• Like 1

Well the reciprocating saw took a turn for the worse and the back up requires a allen key.... that's too much work I've decided. Plus i don't personally own one,  So i bought a new one.  Sticking with dewalt since they haven't wronged me yet.  And since I was in home depot and i can't resist.... I grabbed a klein 11-1 screwdriver since my old one grew legs. And a set of husky double ratcheting wrenches. Never bought husky wrenches before so I'll see how they work out. 

20170117_193216.jpg

20170117_193146.jpg

20170117_192914.jpg

• Like 6