What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Time to buy a new radio.  My other one officially lasted 14 months. It was bluetooth which was key factor at initial purchase. It sounds horrible now and looks disgusting. Don't think it was made for a shop lol. So i went ahead and bought the bosch pb306c. If i investment in cordless tools i figured bosch would be a good brand plus I'd have a system ready to go with those future cordless tools lol. 

20170122_200531.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Allow me refer you to Figure A that I posted in a different thread.

58855d339d216_2017-01-2217_31_47.png.b82478fd64828d45e0ccd181c702f4bf.png

If I'm going to hate my life anyway, might as well be productive doing it. ?.

That took an unexpected biblical turn right at the end there.  "Verily I say unto thee, Thou knowst thy work like unto the way of the flesh; yet goeth thou still."  Stercorians 1:22.

• Like 5

Okay, I have to ask.  I just priced that Bosch jobsite radio and it's $200 at Amazon.  I've never really understood why purpose-designed jobsite radios exist.  They're big, heavy, and expensive.  What's the advantage over a smaller, lighter $20 boom box in the corner?  This is not criticism, it's genuine curiosity; I would really like to know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

Okay, I have to ask.  I just priced that Bosch jobsite radio and it's $200 at Amazon.  I've never really understood why purpose-designed jobsite radios exist.  They're big, heavy, and expensive.  What's the advantage over a smaller, lighter $20 boom box in the corner?  This is not criticism, it's genuine curiosity; I would really like to know.

I'm not sure aside from for instance my Bosch, it charges batteries, runs of or tool batteries (Bosch in both cases), acts as a power distributor with four outlets, is weather resistant etc. Though I have the older 360S and my Wofe just bought me a Sony BT speaker which I use in the shop now and it is awesome.

I just bought a really old Millers Falls skew block plane with removable side body panel as well as a Mills Falls No. 14 jack plane. Both are really old, older than me by quite a few years, and both will be restored prior to use. This will be a total of four new planes en route to the shop. Once the shop is ready to go I'll get to work getting these old chaps up to snuff for some serious work. I am still hoping to do a giveaway with one of the no 14 jack planes :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

I'm not sure aside from for instance my Bosch, it charges batteries, runs of or tool batteries (Bosch in both cases), acts as a power distributor with four outlets, is weather resistant etc. 

Yeah, I read further in the Amazon listing and saw some of those things.  Do they all do that kind of thing, or are most of them just radios?

I guess I've never really looked into it because I tend not to like music playing when I work.  That's funny because I've been a lifelong music lover, all genres; I have a huge collection of recorded music that I enjoy frequently.  But when I'm working, I tend not to put on music because it's too distracting - unless it's mindless work like cleaning the garage or washing the car.  So a job radio has never drawn my interest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Yeah, I read further in the Amazon listing and saw some of those things.  Do they all do that kind of thing, or are most of them just radios?

I guess I've never really looked into it because I tend not to like music playing when I work.  That's funny because I've been a lifelong music lover, all genres; I have a huge collection of recorded music that I enjoy frequently.  But when I'm working, I tend not to put on music because it's too distracting - unless it's mindless work like cleaning the garage or washing the car.  So a job radio has never drawn my interest.

Most of them have similiar features when they are brand specific but not all charge tool batteries though that is changing. I have had the older Milwaukee M18 (the first one that came out with the M18 lineup when it was first released and the o,d white Makita and did not like either. I got the Bosch before I even had any 18v tools from Bosch and now it's the only 18v tool I have from Bosch it's the older one without blue tooth but it is super clear and I used to use the ac adaptor until I got the iPhone 7+ (though I still can) and not I just use that little tiny Sony. But the Bosch is weather resistant and has been out in the rain with me on dozens of time while working outdoors.

7 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I'm not sure aside from for instance my Bosch, it charges batteries, runs of or tool batteries (Bosch in both cases), acts as a power distributor with four outlets, is weather resistant etc. Though I have the older 360S and my Wofe just bought me a Sony BT speaker which I use in the shop now and it is awesome.

when im working alone on a job i always have my radio on, i have always had a big ass stereo at home,(thats what we called them then}. so im always looking for something that can play loud with great sound. right now im using the newer dewalt tough system radio.i feel it has the best sound going right now, i have a love-hate relationship with it, love the sound, hate the lack of features. i still feel the bosch is king with good sound, and awsome features.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Only reason i bought it was because it has features of the100 dollar bluetooth speakers. Plus the built in charger. Last one didn't last with the dust so hopefully this one does. 

@mohawkdec, I also find the ToughSystem Music lacking feature-wise, and the menu is lacking due to so few buttons but like you said; the sound is amazing. My favorite radio sound wise.

@dwasifar I bought my Bosch PB360C for $170 CAD. I work alone in a 3000 sq ft spray booth doing repetitive work with no earbuds allowed. If I had to listen to the sound of airtools everyday I'd go squirrelly. This radio is a nice all-in-one solution for me. Loud, 360* sound, charges my phone, has Bluetooth for the rare instance CBC talk radio isn't entertaining enough :lol:. Really my only qualm with it is the media bay was designed with 2008 phones in mind and not 2016+ phones lol. 

• Like 2

I just bough the M18 fuel braking grinder kit with free battery and got 10% using their promo code I got in the mail. Needed it for my upcoming I-Beam job pretty excited to get it.

d6186dfd-4c4a-4111-8614-fc1114c5d535_100
Also considering buying a table saw with flesh detection any recommendations.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

I have that grinder as well, it's a nice unit!

as for flesh detection you really only have two options, no? I'd go with Bosch. There were power complaints early on but a firmware update fixed it. It doesn't wreck a blade when you have contact. 

I guess your right only 2 brands to choose from but what about the cartridges.

55 minutes ago, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

I cannot speak to the Reaxx but I've been running my sawstop for over a year and it's beautifully made and rock solid. The contractor version looks to be better designed but the truth of the matter is, if my cartridge goes off I'm out of a blade and a brake. Ultimately though...who cares. I haven't set it off yet and I'll be more concerned with the cost of another pair of Levi 569's if it happens as opposed to buying another blade and brake.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

The Bosch has 2 shots to a cartridge versus one for the SawStop, I think it is $100 versus $65, but the Bosch just drops the blade and the SawStop embeds it in the brake. I don't know how available the Bosch will be, there is the lawsuit against them by SawStop for patent infringement.

• Like 1

Chris, I have put it off for a long time but I am told my build techniques will forever change with this one purchase. 

So I ordered a DF 500 Qset and a systainer full of dominos. I did not realize the tenon assortment kit included 5 cutters or I would not have ordered a set of them.  I just knew that the the DF500 just had one size.

24 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Chris, I have put it off for a long time but I am told my build techniques will forever change with this one purchase. 

So I ordered a DF 500 Qset and a systainer full of dominos. I did not realize the tenon assortment kit included 5 cutters or I would not have ordered a set of them.  I just knew that the the DF500 just had one size.

I've got the 500 bro :) It is.....well it's....it's......oh heck, it's the best tool on the planet. Maybe the 700 is better but the 500 is fantastic. Also, two pieces of advice. Never use without dust collection and never by your Dominos here, you can get them on Amazon UK or DE for a huge savings!

26 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Oh and one more thing! Sell those extra cutters on eBay! People see Festool on eBay and they pay twice what a typical craftsman, woodworker would pay. Also the sellers seem to know this because you can buy used Festools for more than new ones. And there are morons that will buy them!

Yea thanks for the info. I think I read that without the dust extraction the bit clogs and misbehaves.

So you buy your domino's on amazon abroad and have them shipped to the states?

I am sure the 700 has its place but its generally too big for me. At most I am guessing there is only 10% of the time I could use it over the 500.

I just like the thought of precision assembling things with ease. Be nice to dry fit a big project and then pop it apart and glue and clamp. Less messing around with lining things up.

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Oh and one more thing! Sell those extra cutters on eBay! People see Festool on eBay and they pay twice what a typical craftsman, woodworker would pay. Also the sellers seem to know this because you can buy used Festools for more than new ones. And there are morons that will buy them!

I dont mind keeping them around. Its just 4 of them.