What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

9 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I'm not sure what the original color was. I'm sure there is a manual and catalog over at vintage machinery. I would probably do the same type of color but with some type of effect either metallic or hammer type finish.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's got most of the original paint, though it's in rough shape. Looks like a greyish hammertone. 

1 hour ago, SetBuilder said:

I picked up a PC 890 with 3 router bits for 120.00 on CL. It looks like it was used one or twice, not even any scratches on the base. 

IMG_5282.JPG

I have this exact same set... the plunge base slowly stopped gripping and it din't help tightening up the handle because it locked by spring force against movement, looked into it but eventually only use the fixed base now..

I kept wondering why my bit wasn't cutting as deep on quarter round and ogee bits but after looking at it  and not getting anywhere, i stopped using it.

Perhaps if i spent some serious time digging into and figuring out the mechanics of it, i'll have it figured out..

But mine is much dirtier ha

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I have this exact same set... the plunge base slowly stopped gripping and it din't help tightening up the handle because it locked by spring force against movement, looked into it but eventually only use the fixed base now..

I kept wondering why my bit wasn't cutting as deep on quarter round and ogee bits but after looking at it  and not getting anywhere, i stopped using it.

Perhaps if i spent some serious time digging into and figuring out the mechanics of it, i'll have it figured out..

But mine is much dirtier ha

I hope it will work out, I have been looking for a plunge router and this deal seamed too good to pass up. I already have a PC 690 and 7839 so this is a nice in between size.  I sold my Bench Dog router table yesterday so I had to do something with the money. :)

Ordered a set of 3" Kreg Automaxx clamps. 2 of them on eBay for $34, basically buy one get one free. I can't help it, I just like these clamps. I've always used quick release C-Clamps, so this will be a real relief.

IMG_6921.JPG.365fb92e807d1719ee6a3d232d0a8271.JPG

Changed it up a little bit today. Half the kids PS4, Xbox, and movie disc are scratched to hell. Part of me wants to tell them tough shit and motivate them to take better care of their stuff, but part of me understands they are still little and aren't going to. Soooo, I ordered a JFJ Easy Pro and Eyecon combo. The Eyecon works for resurfacing Blu-Ray based discs and Easy Pro works for pretty much anything else. They get great reviews and some of the YouTube demos are pretty impressive. Got both for $229. It will pay for itself the first day if it works half as well as the YouTuber's claim. 

There goes the Dewalt Biscuit Joiner I was eyeing ☹️

IMG_6922.thumb.JPG.75d60fc705cdbb2d782d5dd48fdee17a.JPG

• Like 4

Another big splurge:

IMG_20170306_085659.thumb.jpg.ff8186b13cfbdc57f4f74cbba55eff3a.jpg

I've been doing a lot of painting recently and I'm told that cutting in by hand is easier with a stiffer brush, so I bought this to complement my other two Purdy brushes.  They give a good finish but they have very soft bristles:

IMG_20170228_084626.thumb.jpg.4b787b34a776b52ff74b784b8f4aa8f0.jpg

I've been using those two brushes for over 20 years.  I know most paintbrushes die of neglect, but here's proof that they'll last and last if you take care of them well.

• Like 3

Speaking of Purdy paintbrushes.  

I posted this pic already:

That brush runs $12.99 at Amazon and $13.48 at Lowe's.  But if you search "Purdy paint brushes" at Amazon, a lot of sponsored results come up for this Chinese knockoff:

81jRlVN0c6L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.e87e4830b0802164c170853764a384f7.jpg58bdb111910c5_81eIRUVGjL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.18383059c14e9d97971f076893aa6823.jpg

That's the clearest case of copycat packaging and design I've ever seen.  I'm amazed Purdy hasn't sued to stop them.  You get an 8-pack of these for $32.99, so roughly a third the price of the real thing.  The thing that irks me the most is the little US flag under the words "DESIGNED FOR USA," which of course means it wasn't designed in USA, let alone made here like the Purdy.

The Amazon user reviews are pretty positive; the general opinion seems to be "almost as good as a Purdy."  There are pros buying them because they're cheap enough to throw away at the end of a job.

Does this bug you as much as it bugs me? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

nice I seen this braand at Menards. Is it a good brand? Good quality?

There is a place near me that sells woodworking machinery. They have been in business for 40 years and all the brands are hand picked. Saw Stop, General, Fein, Festool etc. CMT is the only brand of router bits they sell.

I have been happy with their router  bits and blades for my Festool Vecturo Until... I tried to use one of their blades with the Vecturo plunge guide. The offset on the blade is off so it is about an 1/8 of an inch away from the magnet guide. CMT is out of Italy and I'm waiting to see how they will resolve this issue. I still have brand new blades in the package that I do not want to open.  So the jury is out on their customer service for now.

Speaking of Purdy paintbrushes.  

I posted this pic already:

That brush runs $12.99 at Amazon and $13.48 at Lowe's.  But if you search "Purdy paint brushes" at Amazon, a lot of sponsored results come up for this Chinese knockoff:

81jRlVN0c6L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.e87e4830b0802164c170853764a384f7.jpg58bdb111910c5_81eIRUVGjL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.18383059c14e9d97971f076893aa6823.jpg

That's the clearest case of copycat packaging and design I've ever seen.  I'm amazed Purdy hasn't sued to stop them.  You get an 8-pack of these for $32.99, so roughly a third the price of the real thing.  The thing that irks me the most is the little US flag under the words "DESIGNED FOR USA," which of course means it wasn't designed in USA, let alone made here like the Purdy.

The Amazon user reviews are pretty positive; the general opinion seems to be "almost as good as a Purdy."  There are pros buying them because they're cheap enough to throw away at the end of a job.

Does this bug you as much as it bugs me? 

Yea that's some bollocks there dude, I take great care of my brushes, the wife trashed a good set I had though, we had some words mostly one way, after that she doesn't touch my brushes unless I'm there to "supervise"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I yelled at my wife one time, good thing she didn't hear me...she feeds me I'm to old to have to figure out how to cook.....

It may have saved my future paint brushes just not my appetite for a week [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea that's some bollocks there dude, I take great care of my brushes, the wife trashed a good set I had though, we had some words mostly one way, after that she doesn't touch my brushes unless I'm there to "supervise"

I wouldn't buy the knockoffs on principle.  It feels like rewarding a cheater.  But it does make me think, am I spending too much effort maintaining paintbrushes?  Time is money, and if I were a pro painter and these were "good enough," it might be hard to justify continuing to spend time cleaning a Purdy or Wooster brush.  

If I were to total up the time I've spent cleaning those two old Purdy brushes, it would certainly come to many times their purchase price.  But you either maintain them or you don't; if you don't, you're not getting your money's worth out of them, and if you do, then you'll incrementally come to the point where you've spent more money maintaining them than they cost to buy.  You can't really strike a balance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

I wouldn't buy the knockoffs on principle.  It feels like rewarding a cheater.  But it does make me think, am I spending too much effort maintaining paintbrushes?  Time is money, and if I were a pro painter and these were "good enough," it might be hard to justify continuing to spend time cleaning a Purdy or Wooster brush.  

If I were to total up the time I've spent cleaning those two old Purdy brushes, it would certainly come to many times their purchase price.  But you either maintain them or you don't; if you don't, you're not getting your money's worth out of them, and if you do, then you'll incrementally come to the point where you've spent more money maintaining them than they cost to buy.  You can't really strike a balance.

A pro is gonna get the good brush because of how much better it paints over the cheap brush and will have better ways of cleaning the brush than the average person.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

Woo hoo entered the cordless OMT age. Gunnar have to find a new home for my corded one.

IMG_20170306_000655.jpg

Make sure to wear some ear plugs, that thing is loud as fuck. You'll be happy you went with that one, lots of people find it annoying that there isnt a static setting wheel but I find its easier to cut around drywall manually instead on one setting. Its also easier to turn off and on :D

• Like 1

On the flip sound how long does it really take to properly clean a brush I've wasted more time in the shitter than that ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Got some catching up to do!!

6f84a0f4d50a764e474ef29385e27695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Knipex hold punching pliers is a great tool, not something I use often but it does what it needs to very well.

Jealous of that Joker wrench, coincidentally I used two Gearwrench wrenches today a 3/4 and a 11/16...how weird is that? Was fixing my router and router table.

• Like 1