What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

19 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

On the flip sound how long does it really take to properly clean a brush I've wasted more time in the shitter than that ha ha

Well, let's say five minutes.  So you use the brush only 12 times, you've spent an hour cleaning it.  

2 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Well, let's say five minutes.  So you use the brush only 12 times, you've spent an hour cleaning it.  

Thinking about it more, because that's what I do without something better to occupy me.  The Purdy is $12, so if five minutes of your time is worth more than $12, then you should throw it away rather than cleaning it.  That extends out to $144/hr, and I'm pretty sure not many painters are pulling that down.  But the knockoff is $4, so if your time is worth more than $48/hr, then you should throw that one away rather than cleaning it.  And I can see where a pro might easily cross that threshold, especially if you're paying your crew for the time you spend cleaning brushes.

I would be surprised if the quality were actually as close to Purdy as the listings or the reviews indicate.  I suspect there is some unconscious bias taking place among the reviewers.  Everyone wants to think they got a deal, and maybe this is making them less critical of the brushes than if they'd paid more, thus more likely to rate them close in quality to the real thing.

On 3/6/2017 at 10:49 PM, pancing said:

Make sure to wear some ear plugs, that thing is loud as fuck. You'll be happy you went with that one, lots of people find it annoying that there isnt a static setting wheel but I find its easier to cut around drywall manually instead on one setting. Its also easier to turn off and on :D

I like the trigger setup but I wouldn't mind having the trigger lock be able to lock at various speeds.

Thinking about it more, because that's what I do without something better to occupy me.  The Purdy is $12, so if five minutes of your time is worth more than $12, then you should throw it away rather than cleaning it.  That extends out to $144/hr, and I'm pretty sure not many painters are pulling that down.  But the knockoff is $4, so if your time is worth more than $48/hr, then you should throw that one away rather than cleaning it.  And I can see where a pro might easily cross that threshold, especially if you're paying your crew for the time you spend cleaning brushes.

I would be surprised if the quality were actually as close to Purdy as the listings or the reviews indicate.  I suspect there is some unconscious bias taking place among the reviewers.  Everyone wants to think they got a deal, and maybe this is making them less critical of the brushes than if they'd paid more, thus more likely to rate them close in quality to the real thing.

Half of it is taking pride in yourself and your tools, it says a lot about a pro that takes care of his equipment will take care of the clients house, where a guy that just throws shit brushes out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've had Purdy paint brushes last for close to a year with proper cleaning after each use. Not a pro painter but cutting in takes a good brush. I do have some of the cheap HF brushes that I toss after one use but they are for small quick touch up jobs around the house.  

I haven't bought really anything recently because I'm saving up for the Flexvolt table saw and a 18g brad nailer. Not sure what brand nailer to get. I'm torn between waiting for the new gen of 18v Makita's to role out (just saw the new 23g Pinner on Instagram so I assume other gauges are coming), the pneumatic Makita AF505N, or going with Grex or Cadex so it's second on the list behind the saw. I did however receive an email from ShopYourWay saying I had points expiring soon, had $24 between regular points and surprise points so I've ordered the next three Witte Insulated Slotted Screwdrivers (53704, 53705, 53706) and a Gearwrench 1/4" Drive T-25 Bit Socket. Paid $7.42 which is pretty good since without the bit socket I would have paid $8.25 for the amount not covered by points and the shipping. Might as well save $0.83 and get the bit socket at that point.

58c2fbc654233_ScreenShot2017-03-10at2_16_59PM.thumb.png.62c8f1d0945800e8cfc7df790991f342.png

I need to remember to get a shot of the inside of my Klein backpack once these come in as it's filling up nicely. I also haven't been on here as often because Tapatalk has completely screwed up everything and I'm not getting notifications.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jtkendall said:

I need to remember to get a shot of the inside of my Klein backpack once these come in as it's filling up nicely. I also haven't been on here as often because Tapatalk has completely screwed up everything and I'm not getting notifications.

That's what's fun about SYW, you slowly add things that you probably wouldn't normally buy and next thing you know your drawers and bags are full. TBH, I'm running out of things to buy, last time I bought 24 feet of versatrack, I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Right now I have a coupon for $22 worth of points in tools on both accounts. Probably going to buy some doubles of Knipex or I'll just grab misc stuff.

just as i read your comments, i find out about Ridgid coming out with a new quiet compressor, twin tank, 200 psi... 
https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/air/compressors/ridgid-twin-tube-quiet-compressor/28443/
comp2-297x300.jpg

Workshop Addict is giving one of these away.

https://www.workshopaddict.com/tools/giveaway-ridgid-200-psi-4-5-gal-electric-quiet-compressor-model-of45200ss/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold some gymnastic mats on CL for 350 and as part of the deal I was to meet the guy 1/2 way to San Diego. Then I saw 2 Ridgid Boxes for 200 each in the same area. I offered him 350 for both and the deal was made :) Since my shop is in a car port I've wanted a better way to secure my tools. I'll Probably bolt them together and lag them to 8x8s.  

IMG_5341.JPG

• Like 6