What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

16 minutes ago, jtkendall said:

I looked at the Lie-Nielsen shoulder planes online and something about the lever cap just made me go "I don't think it would be comfortable". Granted I have to get used to using a shoulder plane in general but the LN also looks like I could easily break the lever cap because of how thin it is compared to the Veritas. It could be unbreakable for all I know but it just comes off as fragile for lack of a better word.

In general I like the overall appearance of Veritas planes better and for $14 more in this case I get PM-V11. Some of LN's planes are more expensive then their Veritas counterparts which is also a big factor in my decision making and that's even when I figure in the guild discount.

I’m kind of on the opposite side whereas I prefer LN but the shoulder plane was a big deal to me. Also, I have the Veritas bullnose and that is a great plane too. I actually tried the LN shoulder plane at a LN event and it feels solid but the Veritas is much more “tuneable” in my opinion. I am not a real fan of the Veritas bench planes because of the lever caps and adjustments where I really like the old Stanley bedrock style

• Like 2

I’m kind of on the opposite side whereas I prefer LN but the shoulder plane was a big deal to me. Also, I have the Veritas bullnose and that is a great plane too. I actually tried the LN shoulder plane at a LN event and it feels solid but the Veritas is much more “tuneable” in my opinion. I am not a real fan of the Veritas bench planes because of the lever caps and adjustments where I really like the old Stanley bedrock style
Looks like@chrisk and I are in agreement [emoji1]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are a couple LN planes that I will probably pick up if I find a need for the particular plane. The #7 and the #8 since Veritas doesn't have them, unless I can find a Millers Falls equivalent before then in decent condition and at reasonable price, but eBay sellers seem to think that ones in absolutely terrible condition should be the same price as a new LN. The little #102 bronze block plane is also kind of calling my name. I have the Veritas apron plane, but still the LN is bronze which means it's heavier and better for some work. I think LN has a better chance of getting my other hand tool business because I do like the look of their saws.

• Like 1

There are a couple LN planes that I will probably pick up if I find a need for the particular plane. The #7 and the #8 since Veritas doesn't have them, unless I can find a Millers Falls equivalent before then in decent condition and at reasonable price, but eBay sellers seem to think that ones in absolutely terrible condition should be the same price as a new LN. The little #102 bronze block plane is also kind of calling my name. I have the Veritas apron plane, but still the LN is bronze which means it's heavier and better for some work. I think LN has a better chance of getting my other hand tool business because I do like the look of their saws.
Unless you plan to do a lot of hand work I don't see a reason to get a #7 and #8 unless it's a full blown "want" item. Veritas makes a low angle #7.

I actually prefer the grip of the veritas saws over the LN. The LN's hump is too big or just not in the right spot. My friend agrees with me when we went to the LN hand tool event. He preferred the veritas as well.

Got tired of my empire combo square not keeping a grip on the ruler. Trying out a PEC second from Taylor tools. Made in USA. Seems good so far. The knob could be bigger. A little hard to get tight. But it does stay tight 9870ded39a24c3c2396a92fba4f032c0.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I guess M12 is my latest battery line and Packout the newest addition to my storage...pulled the trigger on Home Depot's Special Buy of the Day M12 ratchet after first seeing it on Very Cool Guy's YouTube channel, watching the 2011 review of it on TIA's channel, and reading the post on ToolGuyd.  Generally, I'm disinterested in such online deals, preferring hit or miss in-store clearance deals, but after replacing my brake booster and master cylinder recently, and with additional brake work and suspension work in the near future I couldn't resist.  I miss the days when I could simply use my air ratchet (since stolen, though I have a new replacement somewhere).  I was seriously considering this ratchet when I bought my DCS577 a few weeks ago.  Glad I did, but now I'll probably be picking up the M12 Fuel Hackzall with free 6.0Ah battery soon, unless that promo ends before I can.

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Got tired of my empire combo square not keeping a grip on the ruler. Trying out a PEC second from Taylor tools. Made in USA. Seems good so far. The knob could be bigger. A little hard to get tight. But it does stay tight 9870ded39a24c3c2396a92fba4f032c0.jpg

I’ve got the super short one and love it. I think it’s 4 inches? I kee[ it in my occidental clip pouch. Really nice square, got it on eBay as a factory second about three years ago.

I’ve got the super short one and love it. I think it’s 4 inches? I kee[ it in my occidental clip pouch. Really nice square, got it on eBay as a factory second about three years ago.
Good to hear. A 4” one is next on my list if this one works out.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:43 PM, rfwjr said:

I picked up the new carbon fiber shaft Ego trimmer. I told myself my gas trimmer was going bad. I blame Eric and his review on the web site for pushing me over the edge. 

20180602_174158.thumb.jpg.ed7ee2a6e7f141695e42d780352f6f39.jpg

I picked one up too. Used my birthday as an excuse. $179 for the trimmer and battery is a pretty good deal considering...plus I had $69.** on a gift card I got using CC points.

I bought it because of the head, In feeling the one in store, I think I like the balance of that one better...but carbon fiber! 😍

• Like 2

Well it’s been a while since I confessed. After NPS18 I thought about what I have, what I’d like to have, and what I want to achieve with my tools. I came up with a loose plan to continue buying into systems organized into tasks basically.

I’m well into the process of selling a bunch of stuff off, and have ditched my 2755B compact impact wrench, 2720 Sawzall and 2520 Hackzall. 

Ive also started the process of upgrading lol. Bought a 2719 M18 Fuel Hackzall today, and have a pair of 20v Max compact 3.0s ordered. I’ve preordered the new M18 Fuel Super Sawzall.

• Like 2

That’s an awesome looking plane. 

On another note, I’m on a bit of a spree I guess. Ordered the 20v Max XR die grinder last night after toying around with it in store yesterday. Some thoughtful improvements over the old Makita and the (dud) M18. 

I bought the DeWalt rolling table saw stand for the FV saw, it should make moving the saw around much more convenient.  Started the day by getting the Ryobi pin nailer, deciding to buy the narrow crown stapler another time.  

I also did something I only rarely do: stop into a pawn shop.  Inside was a NIB Ryobi brad nailer for $69, which despite my plans to just use the pneumatic DeWalt, was too good a deal to pass up.  So now I'm just procrastinating about packing stuff up, having mounted the table saw earlier.

• Like 1

I got some of this from Menards. Going to try and use it to removes some wood stain and finish from a bookcase I want to refinish. Hopefully it will mean less sanding. Supposedly you leave it set for a bit then you scrape it off with a dull putty knife so you don't gouge the wood.

IMG_0737.thumb.JPG.cda20afefaadadbcaee78a71525fe408.JPG

• Like 1

Very jealous of that snag @ChrisK, that’s an awesome tool! I’ve been waiting on a killer deal on one myself.

I ordered the M18 Gen2 Fuel blower today. It flies in the face of my “one system per task” mantra but it was by far the best value. If the FlexVolt came with 2x 9.0 or the Makita X2 had promos in Canada to match the US it would be different but the Fuel outperforms the FlexVolt and comes with a rapid charger and a second 9.0 rather than the Dewalt trickle charger lol.

For reference, going rate online and in store here equate to 293 USD for Fuel, rapid charger and 2x 9.0, 268 USD for FlexVolt, slow charger and 1x 9.0, or 

307 USD for the X2 Makita, double charger and a pair of 3.0s lol.

I wouldn’t keep the batteries or chargers from any of these kits and the Milwaukee gets me the most resale value for the cheapest bare tool possible.

This wasn’t a purchase but a gift. My uncle came across some planes at a yard sale. Two firsts, my first Stanley and my first transitional plane. It’s a No. 27 which means it was made between 1870 and 1918 so it’s between 100 and  148 years old.

I plan on giving it a very light cleaning, maybe putting a protective finish over, and making it just a display piece.

A3381C9A-5F40-4339-B046-A2C192D3B594.thumb.jpeg.14a3fb21589cafbe1c043fe700066a7a.jpeg8F35D5F9-A3E5-47EB-903E-C3409AD42192.thumb.jpeg.7f2c3de3049915bb2420809eabbf2283.jpegD798FA72-5DD5-4A13-AB1B-A87E628F89E7.thumb.jpeg.ee0fd629ae43aaa77ca9e122ae1d921a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 5:27 PM, fm2176 said:

Well, I guess M12 is my latest battery line and Packout the newest addition to my storage...pulled the trigger on Home Depot's Special Buy of the Day M12 ratchet after first seeing it on Very Cool Guy's YouTube channel, watching the 2011 review of it on TIA's channel, and reading the post on ToolGuyd.  Generally, I'm disinterested in such online deals, preferring hit or miss in-store clearance deals, but after replacing my brake booster and master cylinder recently, and with additional brake work and suspension work in the near future I couldn't resist.  I miss the days when I could simply use my air ratchet (since stolen, though I have a new replacement somewhere).  I was seriously considering this ratchet when I bought my DCS577 a few weeks ago.  Glad I did, but now I'll probably be picking up the M12 Fuel Hackzall with free 6.0Ah battery soon, unless that promo ends before I can.

Well, the above deal fell through after an issue with the card.  Reentered the info but it never went through. So, no M12 for this guy as of yet.

I picked up a One Key Sawzall and a Gen 4X Ridgid recip saw a couple of days ago, though.  I'm back on the wagon, and sadly enough the two saws cost about the same amount I was spending in alcohol every couple of weeks, so I figured why not?

Even with the projects I have coming up, I have no need for so many saws, but I do like to destroy things.  Right now I'm thinking about just torturing the hell out of my redundant tools when I'm on retirement leave.  By that time they'll be overly obsolete anyway.  Maybe I'll get rid of a few, but I've already given away most of my one-off tool platforms and hate getting rid of stuff that is compatible with batteries I still own.

37 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Found a deal on a Surge. Had sort of rolled the idea of an impulse driver around for th past day lol...was leaning Makita but found the Milwaukee for about half what the Makita would cost me. Red it is.

I was debating grabbing the Ryobi Quiet Strike if it qualifies for the free tool with purchase of 3Ah starter kit promo.  To be honest, though, after comparing it to the Stealth Force and Surge I decided to go with one or both of the latter.  The Ryobi's specs seem decent, but it is bulky compared to the Surge.  Also, there's that little voice telling me not to start buying Ryobi fastening tools.  I have a couple of nailers, the pole saw, inflator, Devour sweeper, and glue gun.  Those all fill niches that more premium brands lack.  

An impulse driver is on my short list, though.  I was on the phone at a Home Depot a few days ago, with some employees reconfiguring some shelving using a Ridgid impact driver.  In the confines of the store, it seemed louder than normal and was extremely distracting.  A day or so earlier I was using my One Key impact driver at the in-laws'.  It was a quick job, replacing a broken slat on a bed I made last year, but I wish I'd have just used a drill instead of making all the noise.

• Like 1

Well, I got nothing for Father's Day, but found a Bosch 12v light for $9 yesterday morning and picked up a Craftsman T-Stak for $71 later in the day.

When I normalize myself from the thankfully over Drill Sergeant days, I'll probably keep my single L-BOXX with the 12v drill and radio it came with (and the new light) in the truck.  I'll probably keep a medium Ridgid box or the center T-Stak in there as well with the 2763 impact wrench and sockets.  I've been waiting for the 2860 mid-torque to drop to $.03 pricing.  The truck used to be clean and organized for emergencies, impromptu projects, and helping other motorists, but over the past two years I've neglected it at best. 

• Like 1