What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Obviously without db read outs it's a subjective question. But also obviously I'm hoping that the jc10 is quite a bit less noise.. Lol.
How long have you had the jc 10? Do you have any other rol-air compressors? How's your experience been with it (them) in general?
Thanks for an input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Plenty of free decibel meter apps for the smartphone.

FWIW, the Flexvolt vacuum is 85 Db measured from a foot away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, reddawg60 said:

True and I have one, but doesn't do me any good when I don't have the rol-air compressor to compare it to the dewalt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

https://www.rolair.com/products/air-compressors/hand-carry/jc10plus

https://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressor-contractor-grade/3-5-hp-air-compressor/cat-1p1060s/

Picked up the Bosch 6" ROS65VC. HD had it as a deal of the day for $159 regularly $229. Amazon had it the same price plus the $20 off over $100 purchase. I've been wanting this sander for a long time. Tried it out today and holy crap is it powerful. Such a difference over my 5" festool and Bosch. The larger disc is nice but the power alone will make Sanding jobs go faster. Now I just need pads. It only came with one 120 grit. 5b70bbd6de11ab06157c31ace771b31e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Picked up the Bosch 6" ROS65VC. HD had it as a deal of the day for $159 regularly $229. Amazon had it the same price plus the $20 off over $100 purchase. I've been wanting this sander for a long time. Tried it out today and holy crap is it powerful. Such a difference over my 5" festool and Bosch. The larger disc is nice but the power alone will make Sanding jobs go faster. Now I just need pads. It only came with one 120 grit. 5b70bbd6de11ab06157c31ace771b31e.jpg

You’ll lovely, I  love mine. DC is on par with my Festools when used with a vac. I recommend the mesh Mirka pads Ryan, they are cost effective and allow for great dust collection. The dust canister actually works quite well on its own. I have the 5&6” pads with mine.

You’ll lovely, I  love mine. DC is on par with my Festools when used with a vac. I recommend the mesh Mirka pads Ryan, they are cost effective and allow for great dust collection. The dust canister actually works quite well on its own. I have the 5&6” pads with mine.
Thanks. I know I will enjoy using it. I have the mirka pads in the 5" and planned to get them again as I can get them locally. I thought of trying out klingspor paper.

I recieved the other day a $100 visa card from the Festool promotion they did last year and bought some tools. I bought a 4 pack of limited edition Stabila levels for around $80. If you are interested I would buy as soon as possible. I got them from Acme Tools. I also bought a 10 pack of the updated Multi Jetstream 2 sandpaper. I just need to buy one of the new pads now haha.

If there are any manufacturing flaws to a tool that I buy and really like, sometimes OCD will kick in and I'll buy another one in an effort to finally get one without flaws (especially with drills).

Anyway, a few months back I bought a Bosch 18V DDS183 compact drill. It's easily the best drill I've ever used and it has the smoothest motor on a power tool that I've ever used. By far smoother than anything I've tried and nothing comes close. It's amazing really. Problem: very bad chuck run-out 😒.

So I purchases another from Amazon, thinking that all DDS183's have smooth motors. Problem: it's rough, nowhere near as smooth but actually has a perfect chuck.

So I figure maybe I got a flawed model, so I purchase another from Ebay. Problem: rough running again but another perfect chuck.

Finally I purchase ANOTHER from old stock at a local tool store that was on clearance (Australian model GSR 18V, same as the DDS183). Problem: still not as smooth as the first one, but better than the other 2, with only very small run-out. The Australian model has soft start, whereas all 3 of the DDS183's do not.

What I have found consistent is the rest of the tool; no flaws in rubber grips or clam shells whatsoever on all 4.

A silly thing to do, but I was after the perfect DDS183. Now I have to decide which one to keep or sell (I won't buy any more).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D W said:

...sometimes OCD will kick in and I'll buy another one in an effort to finally get one without flaws (especially with drills).

Anyway, a few months back I bought a Bosch 18V DDS183 compact drill. It's easily the best drill I've ever used and it has the smoothest motor on a power tool that I've ever used. By far smoother than anything I've tried and nothing comes close. It's amazing really. Problem: very bad chuck run-out 😒.

So I purchases another from Amazon, thinking that all DDS183's have smooth motors. Problem: it's rough, nowhere near as smooth but actually has a perfect chuck.

So I figure maybe I got a flawed model, so I purchase another from Ebay. Problem: rough running again but another perfect chuck.

Finally I purchase ANOTHER from old stock at a local tool store that was on clearance (Australian model GSR 18V, same as the DDS183). Problem: still not as smooth as the first one, but better than the other 2, with only very small run-out...

That’s a lot of work trying to get that perfect tool and also a surprising amount of variance if they were all essentially the same model

I’m going to tell myself I’m lucky I haven’t happened to use multiples of any same model I presently own and am going to pretend I never read this

• Haha 1

HD had a right-angle impact driver and rotary hammer on pretty good sales. I don’t need either very often but every time I could have used one they would have been godsends and much fewer wasted hours of my life.

Issue was they were both 12V so I had to pick up some batteries and chargers. And the packages of the puny circular saw and itty bitty brushless impact with batteries and chargers basically made them free tools, so...

634F59D0-A765-4473-B47B-9B42F698C494.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ToolBane said:

That’s a lot of work trying to get that perfect tool and also a surprising amount of variance if they were all essentially the same model

I’m going to tell myself I’m lucky I haven’t happened to use multiples of any same model I presently own and am going to pretend I never read this

You could say it got out of control. The smooth Bosch is that good, it's hard to use another drill. There's practically no vibration from the motor at all. It's also quieter than all the others. I tried removing the chuck to replace it with another one but was unable to.

I was very surprised at the variance, especially being Bosch. One other notable difference is the trigger on the Australian model; it's the best of the lot and feels similar to the soft press optical triggers on Hitachi/Hikoki tools.

I've only ever done this once before with an Hitachi drill. I ended up with 2 drills that both had at least 1 annoying flaw, so essentially it just made the situation worse.

Bought some stuff for my rotex: updated multi jetstream 2 hard pad, protector pad for if I ever get net based sandpaper, the thiner interface pad, and the thicker interface pad. I am also going to make my own sandpaper systainer and router bit systainer. The Festool ones were pricey for what they were so I got a Tanos SYS III and a Kaizen foam insert that I will cut out for the sandpaper. I also got a Fein SYS I, a Kaizen Foam insert to cut out for the router bits, and a set of hollow punch bits to drill out the foam for the router bits.

Wife came home yesterday and asked if I could bring the groceries in. When I opened the back of the car, along with the grocery bags was Ridgid's new Octane hammer drill kit "just because". I call myself a "brand whore" because I have all brands of tools in my trailer. Since Ridgid first hit the shelves though they have  been my go to cordless line with which I'm deeply invested in, use daily, and totally happy with. I do have a large collection of the Milwaukee M12 tools as well which I pull out for small jobs. New Octane drill is a beast with a good amount of heft to it which is one of the reasons that I've always liked them. Didn't care for all of the other manufacturers trying to make tools overly light. Will be putting the Octane through it's paces tomorrow. Can't wait. 

• Like 2

3/4 of my Instagram giveaway came in today and I got more than I thought! I was supposed to get 2 24" and 2 48" clamps. I stead I got 4 of each! The other package of 48" clamps decided to stay in Chicago a little longer apparently. Thanks Jet and William Patrick Customs!!c6ebfe02d0f80949db451cd0b50637c8.jpg

• Like 3

I preordered the limited edition Festool clamping set from ToolNut. I don't have any dog holes on my bench yet but I planed on having dog holes eventually and wanted to buy a set like this. I figured since it was limited I should buy it before it went out of stock.

I preordered the limited edition Festool clamping set from ToolNut. I don't have any dog holes on my bench yet but I planed on having dog holes eventually and wanted to buy a set like this. I figured since it was limited I should buy it before it went out of stock.

I might be wrong but I think mft tables use a different size dog hole, 5/8" maybe, most are 3/4" dog holes. So keep that in mind if you make the dog holes in your bench.

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I might be wrong but I think mft tables use a different size dog hole, 5/8" maybe, most are 3/4" dog holes. So keep that in mind if you make the dog holes in your bench.

I was considering getting an mft with that cross cut thing for the track saw

9 hours ago, rrich1 said:

The MFT/3 holes are 20mm dia on 96mm centers.