What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

I’ve not been doing very well keeping up on these things, but here’s a pic of a Ryobi vacuum I got today. While I was previously thinking I’d bother getting a fancy-schmancy prosumer-grade unit (Makita X2, of course), ultimately I decided I don’t use my tools regularly enough as a DIY guy to justify all the bells and whistles for mere dust-clearing. Plus I have a project I have to hurry on and don’t want to have to order then wait for it to arrive, so I just grabbed what was in-stock.

Perhaps predictably none of the coupling was going to work. What’s up with having tons of “universal adapters” available that aren’t compatible with anything? “Universal” is supposed to actually MEAN something? Way too much latitude allowed in marketing these days I dunno.

Luckily I found a coupler in the plumbing section that fit the bill just fine. If anyone finds this useful. My previous vacuum couldn’t hook up to my tablesaw at all so this was a game-changer. Hooks up nicely to my miter saw too. My garage is actually cleaner now than it was before I started cutting.

69B0DF99-A3DC-41D0-A4FA-FE73A34A7C06.jpeg

968EC9C0-256B-4258-94E7-2935808C569E.jpeg

• Like 1

Also some sales prompted me to expand my 12V Makita line a little bit. These have been sitting around a couple weeks actually and I have yet to use them. The current project should allow me to mess around with them a bit though.

For the sake of comparison, here are pics of the 12V CXT brushless drill-driver next to Makita’s compact drill (left) and full size (right). This CXT is just diminutive. My plan is to use them for travel as my parents frequently have repair projects for me to do every time I visit them.

The jig saw is not terribly different in size from Makita’s brushless 18V, so I didn’t bother taking a comparison pic of it. I’ll be interested in seeing how much power it has. The 18V LXT has more than enough for my usual jigsaw purposes. This CXT costs less than half as much and is brushless, so if one isn’t bothered by the soft-start feature it’s probably a really good deal.

3A809F6F-56FC-4316-85FA-E44B76817F85.jpeg

A041B8F8-92F5-4378-990F-4BDD399A0525.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:21 PM, dwasifar said:

I bought a set of Kobalt metric combination wrenches for $18 on clearance:

kobalt_wrenches.jpg

Taiwan manufacture.  Very nice chrome, and each wrench is longer than the equivalent USA Craftsman I bought in the '90s:

craftsman_kobalt_wrenches.jpg

Lowes is blowing out a lot of Kobalt stuff at bargain prices to make room for all the SBD Craftsman they're bringing in.  Downside is it's not going to be as easy to get warranty replacements any more.  But for a set of wrenches this nice for only $18, I'll take the risk.

lol dont even start me on lowes clearance ! i went in to buy pencils for 3 bucks and walked out with 87.00 bucks worth of stuff from their clearance cart.  impact socket set from 49.00 to 12 bucks    got 2 because its what us guys do lol , 2 sets of pass through-through socket set, and other small drillbit/bits kits  it was a gold mine that day.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, JimboS1ice said:

c0c3300c716f0450124b31494ebe75e7.jpg
NICE!!!!  what instagram page was it?
Won a Rapid Drill on Instagram, pretty cool drilling jig, if you guys are interested I could create a thread with some more in depth pics and videos, basically attaches to your drill and is kind of like a mobile press, great for drilling through metal

This is the slim model they also have a pro with a larger capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

this is a nice tool. I really like using it.

Definitely agree. I didn't watch any reviews before buying, so I was surprised to find all the extra functionality once it arrived (blower, attachments on-board, 12V DC etc). It's also much more compact than I expected. Such a great tool!

$199 AUD with a free 4ah battery was a good deal as well.

Yesterday I ordered an excellent (by the reviews) gas grass trimmer on the internet. Its HUSQVARNA 967055801 and I just wonder if anyone here has experience in using this grass trimmer.

Now I'm very excited to get it in 2 days.

I actually just ordered a trimmer the other day too. I got the Ego commercial string trimmer, battery and charger. it is supposed to arrive on the 15th 

@Charlotte J. I have not used the Husqvarna but I have heard good things about the brand. I'm trying to move away from gas and go battery powered.

• Like 1

My Ego commercial trimmer arrived yesterday. It has exceeded my expectations. The torque is incredible. It doesn't feel powerful but when you do a task that would normally tax a gas trimmer the Ego maintained the same rpm. I couldn't even bog down the thing. The backpack battery took some getting used to but once I got the harness dialed in it wasn't that bad to use. It is built quite well. All metal trigger and all metal motor housing which most if not all gas units do not have. The carbon fiber shaft seems nice. Cut diameter is only 15 in which some say could be larger. I doubt I will switch back to 2-cycle equipment. The pros of the Ego outweigh the cons in my opinion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I got my sawstop I have been looking to get a new dado stack. My hardwood store started selling Everlast saw blades a while ago but clearances them out this past week. I got this 30th dado set for $80 originally $200. Made in USA. I believe they are more of an industrial supply company so don't have the retail name recognition of other companies. Haven't tried it out yet.

Also picked up the katz-moses stop block. It's really nice and should solve the problems of other stop blocks have with deflection. 7583bb85f160446c54e8b7e1378f897f.jpg7c2adb07401bdbcd73d2c3eec83bae4d.jpg4855a9026da410cc15f972d4760c5a0e.jpg887d63eae9d3760d91f5412d201746e3.jpg23de2c596609ecd4cac1504461adaba2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bought a Predator 52cc gas one person auger from Harbor Freight. Looked at a lot of the available options, read reviews, watched videos, etc. Paid $169 on sale. Ordered an extension from Amazon. Must have dug 1000s of post holes by hand over the years and decided that my aging body needs to accept that there are easier ways to do things. Lol. Just had a pool installed in the backyard and will be building a deck soon so looking forward to trying this out. Never thought I'd be frequenting Harbor Freight as often as the last few years but some of their products are fantastic for the price. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was going to let my small set of bosch tools die off but a couple good ebay deals and my addiction got the best of me.  I'm kind of impressed with how much smaller the bosch 8.0 is vs dewalt and m18 6.0. But I did find out with the old regular charger it takes 3.5 hrs to charge.  Once I drain it I'll see if the old fast charger does any better.  

20191004_220328.thumb.jpg.e29b2e0d23f81f87bc16f1837424dfe6.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, ToolBane said:

How many feet?

20 hours ago, reddawg60 said:

Lmao.... That's what I was just gonna ask!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Hahahahahaha dude sorry but what a funny cap. Did you run that poor guy over?

Err........ I'm gonna have to come clean and take this one squarely on the chin! I was using it with a dry diamond core cutter, approx 50mm diameter. She snagged and the top section just kinda rolled off. Took a fair while for that to happen, I've cored with it quite a few times. Lesson learnt though. 

New clamshell ordered, she'll be right as rain soon enough. 

• Like 1