What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

I don't understand the joke but broken tools aren't too bad. It just means you get to buy more tools, and more tools is never bad.

Err........ I'm gonna have to come clean and take this one squarely on the chin! I was using it with a dry diamond core cutter, approx 50mm diameter. She snagged and the top section just kinda rolled off. Took a fair while for that to happen, I've cored with it quite a few times. Lesson learnt though. 

New clamshell ordered, she'll be right as rain soon enough. 
Nice set there.  Every time I look at dremel bits I want to buy some, but remember I already have pretty much every bit they make.  Those little diamond points can take care of some tough problems.
,d
Came close to buying one of the $100 M18 impact driver kits or a 2763 bare tool, but I just can't bring myself to buy anything for mysel this time of year. I ended up with a couple of LED replacement bulbs for the wall lights in the stairs. Yay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Jronman said:

I don't understand the joke but broken tools aren't too bad. It just means you get to buy more tools, and more tools is never bad.

It was user error, I pushed it too hard. In first gear it generates huge amounts of torque, enough to snap its own neck. 

I've also got two cordless rotary hammer drills waiting for repairs. 

• Like 1

I ordered a Router Raizer to instal on an old Porter Cable router my uncle gave me that is not compatible with standard router lifts. I also got a Gearwrench ratcheting oil filter pliers. I wanted a dedicated oil filter removal tool since I will be changing my own oil filters on the rider and push mowers.

Picked up two Commercial Electric wire strippers and a pair of electrician scissors for about $1.50 each.  Also, Milwaukee cold weather gear is back...Picked up the grey insulated fleece hat and thinking of getting a black one.  If I cut off the red Milwaukee label it's authorized for wear with my Army physical training uniform.

I may get a pair or two of the cold weather Milwaukee gloves.  They seem nice and I like the regular and demolition versions.

Bought the black Milwaukee heated hoodie and a black insulated cap, as well as the Wal-Mart Vaughan hammer to try out.  I think I have about twenty hammers now, so stop...Hammer Time!  At least I'll be warm when I destroy them all.

My Router Raizer arrived today. I wasn't expecting a 50 page manual to come with but it is understandable. It has directions and templates for each compatible router the Router Raizer works with. I don't know when I will get a chance to try it out on my old porter cable router. I hope it does what I want/need it to. I'm not sure how I feel about modifying my router but a regular lift was not compatible with my router.

I bought the single tool that nearly every adult in civilized nations (and far too many kids) use on a daily basis.  The tool that many of us here spend too much time on.  A new phone...

After previous phones failed to survive my (literal) abuse, I looked at rugged phones before deciding to go with the Blackview 9700.  Fairly impressive specs according to coworkers that know more than I do, IP68 rating, and drop proof from 1 meter.  I found a video on YouTube showing the company abusing the phone, and reviews appear decent.  

At $424 it's the most expensive phone I've owned, but I figure that some people spend twice that annually for the latest Apple nonsense.

Well, I went on a spree; the Milwaukee M12 promo got me, with the M12 Rocket lights on clearance for $120.  I bought two more of those with the free 2.0 batteries (bought another last weekend, so I have four total [plus two M18 tripod lights--the Rocket and the original] for hurricane season/off-the-grid work).  I also bought the M12 Fuel Gen 2 drill/impact driver combo in the Packout case for $162 w/discount.  I'm going to avoid the big box stores for a few weeks, as I've spent entirely too much in the past month. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:17 PM, fm2176 said:

Bought the black Milwaukee heated hoodie and a black insulated cap, as well as the Wal-Mart Vaughan hammer to try out.  I think I have about twenty hammers now, so stop...Hammer Time!  At least I'll be warm when I destroy them all.

Those Milwaukee heated hoodies are great. Mine is several years old (I'm guilty of babying it cuz it's so darn nice, and always wear something over it if working so I don't tear it up). Unbelievable how warm it gets. Looking to get the "fanny pack" looking thing that you can stick your hands in to keep them warm. I used to have a hammer addiction too, lol. A few years ago my wife bought me 3 different Stilettos (hammers, NOT ladies shoes, HA!) that I use for different tasks after hearing me hint for years about wanting one. Guys I work with ended up adopting almost all of my other hammers since. Most people think it's crazy to spend so much on a hammer. Occasionally I'll lend one out for a week and then they get it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brittanymarshel said:Looking these first four: https://www.geekwrapped.com/home/best-cordless-electric-screwdrivers

What do you recommend ?

It may have been better to start a separate thread for this one, but that’s okay.

Among the choices you have linked in the article, I would just try the first Black And Decker. It’s cheap and probably more than enough unless it breaks prematurely. It’s not a brand that’s likely to magically permanently disappear with any potentially unscrupulous students, and even if it did, you wouldn’t be out of much money for it.

The Dewalt is likely to be overkill for your purposes because it’s actually an impact driver which can mess up the threading and heads on your racks over time. Especially in the hands of large numbers of students over time, a nontrivial percentage of which won’t know how to handle tools and won’t see the pitfalls of overtightening small bolts etc and will compulsively overtighten needlessly.

Black And Decker and Dewalt are actually under shared ownership, with Dewalt being the higher-end line, and Dewalt has their own cordless screwdriver which I’ve seen in stock at most Home Depot’s, which I’m pretty sure is just a mildly upgraded version of the B&D screwdriver you have linked. But as the higher-end line, potential theft could be more of a concern.

The article you have is so dominated by Dewalt and B&D it’s hard not to see it as a paid ad masquerading as a review, and an amateurish one at that given how many products they have listed that are actually rather poor matches for simple screw driving, but at least they also happened to list a couple other good brands.

• Like 1

It depends on how much you want to spend as well. Black and Decker are fine for minimum use, however they do not have highs quality batteries in them and must be charged frequently. If you want something that will stay charged I would go with the DeWALT or find an M12 Milwaukee impact driver

M12 FUEL SURGE 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/4 in. Hex Impact Driver Compact Kit with Free 6.0 Ah Battery

https://www.homedepot.com/p/310729795

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Dewalt Atomic cordless multi oscillating tool. I have a Fein multi master which I love. I use it mainly to undercut door casings, for when we install hard surface flooring.

I wanted a cordless one for  convenience , when just doing a few doorways or the rare job where there is  no power.

i have a bunch of Milwaukee tools but didn’t care for the feel of their m.o.t. or the blade lock.

The Dewalt is great ...but  it would be awesome if it had a dial for the  variable speed instead of the v.s. trigger. It is impossible to keep the tool at a constant slower speed.

On my Fein I keep the speed at #2 and the blade last so much longer. High speed kills  the blades.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:44 AM, Don Monfils said:

I picked up the Dewalt Atomic cordless multi oscillating tool. I have a Fein multi master which I love. I use it mainly to undercut door casings, for when we install hard surface flooring.

I wanted a cordless one for  convenience , when just doing a few doorways or the rare job where there is  no power.

i have a bunch of Milwaukee tools but didn’t care for the feel of their m.o.t. or the blade lock.

The Dewalt is great ...but  it would be awesome if it had a dial for the  variable speed instead of the v.s. trigger. It is impossible to keep the tool at a constant slower speed.

On my Fein I keep the speed at #2 and the blade last so much longer. High speed kills  the blades.

The new premium DeWALT omt has both a variable speed trigger and a 3 speed switch