What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

13 hours ago, James kelly said:

I haven't bought anything today, But Was looking to buy a new orbital sander. Any suggestions on what to buy?

I have used Black and Decker, Bosch, DeWALT, Festool, and Skill branded sanders. My favorites were Festool followed by Bosch. The Black and Decker Was by far the worst sander I have ever used. I hope to never use one again. Festool corded 5 in random orbital for $205 is what I would recommend for a corded option. You can also get the bare tool cordless/corded for $225.The dust collection and vibration reduction are superb on the Festool sanders. Bosch makes a decent 5 in for around $100. DeWALT’s are also decent. I’m not sure on pricing. If you want rectangular or delta pad orbitals you will pay a bit more if going with Festool. I know DeWALT sells the rectangular pad sanders but it would be without hook and loop paper.

• Like 2

I bought Fusion 360 for one year yesterday for 40% off. I will probably utilize this tool to work on furniture plans and also use it for cnc work. I plan to get a Shaper Origin and will use it in conjunction with the origin.

I also got a pair of 15 foot quickloader ratchet straps. They are good straps. I can see advantages and disadvantages to the quick loader straps. They stay much neater than other straps and are built well. Sometimes, depending on the load, it is easiest to throw one end of the strap to the guy on the other side. It would be tricky to do so with a Quickloader. Otherwise I don’t foresee any other potential problem areas. I also replaced my mostly plastic and broken one gallon water jug with a genuine one gallon Yeti.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 6:45 AM, Jronman said:

I have used Black and Decker, Bosch, DeWALT, Festool, and Skill branded sanders. My favorites were Festool followed by Bosch. The Black and Decker Was by far the worst sander I have ever used. I hope to never use one again. Festool corded 5 in random orbital for $205 is what I would recommend for a corded option. You can also get the bare tool cordless/corded for $225.The dust collection and vibration reduction are superb on the Festool sanders. Bosch makes a decent 5 in for around $100. DeWALT’s are also decent. I’m not sure on pricing. If you want rectangular or delta pad orbitals you will pay a bit more if going with Festool. I know DeWALT sells the rectangular pad sanders but it would be without hook and loop paper.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I bought a DeWalt. 

1 hour ago, James kelly said:

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I bought a DeWalt. 

I have both the DeWalt 20v Max and Ridgid 18v ROS, both are very good, though the Ridgid sees more use (I also have their 1/4 sheet and belt sanders).

The absolute worst sander I've used is a corded Milwaukee 1/4 sheet I picked up at the Keller Flea Market outside of Savannah, GA.  I needed a sander and found the nearly new Milwaukee for around $30.  That thing wouldn't hold a sheet of sandpaper at all, so I left it in my former project house for the people who took it over.  I forget the model, but it was a newer one (circa 2014-ish?) that had already been replaced by an improved version when I got it.

As for recently purchased tools, my wife accompanied me to Home Depot a few nights ago for some luan and other materials for a flooring project.  She saw how tool costs can add up when I grabbed the only flooring roller in stock, which cost about $44.  Since then, she's been on my back to sell it now that the vinyl flooring is laid down.  🤕  To be honest, that little roller worked well and I told her I need it for another flooring project at my house in two years, but after using it for the 96" x 65" bathroom, I'm rethinking the possibility of using that.  I don't think I'll tell her when I order a $300+ 100-pound roller...

• Like 1

I got a shaper origin and workstation set ordered today from festool products. I also got a Woodpeckers slab flatening mill pro and an Amana bit to go with. I also got 4 extra rolls of shaper tape from Rockler. I probably won't receive any of it until the end of next week.

5 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Sweet.  Stink they never got back to you on the Shaper origin, but glad you got one.  Curious to see how you like it and your thoughts.

super excited to get it. My most expensive tool purchase yet (apart from my pickup truck)

16 hours ago, Jronman said:

super excited to get it. My most expensive tool purchase yet (apart from my pickup truck)

I know.  When it first showed on the site when they were trying to get rid of it, that was the first time I even knew about that tool.  After a little research, I couldn't believe how expensive it was.  Very cool, I want one.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up these DeWalt impacts. 

From the Left: 
DCF890 - 1/2"

DCF880 - 3/8" XR

DCF887 - 1/4" XR

DCF885 - 1/4" 

I like them so far as they are nice addition to the power tool set, wrenches and screw drivers that I already own. 

My question is on the DCF890. I like this 1/2" impact very much but I really like the XR editions. Does DeWalt make 1/2" impact XR in this small head form factor like my 3/8" XR that is show or is my only option to step up the the DCF894HB? 

Thanks

- Mike

IMG_20201029_104756.jpg

I almost exclusively invest in Bosch power tools. Adding this Jig Saw to my tool assortment was a no brainer. It's light, powerful and radius cutting is a breeze. The quick-change blade and dust blower features are awesome!
I would give it a perfect 5.0 score if two features were improved:
1. I wish that the LED light functioned only when the toll was actually cutting... it comes on the moment the tool is plugged in. I guess it was designed that way to let you know that the tool is energized???
2. This jig saw needs a trigger type switch... the sliding switch is cumbersome and shutting down the tool in a panic situation is difficult.