What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Bought a new pair a mowing shoes. I went back to Keen utility. I wasn’t impressed with the Kujo Yardwear shoes I got like I have been with my Keen’s. I went with the Flint II Sport. They have the new Keen Regen and new Konnectfit features which should be really nice for mowing.

5 hours ago, RT29 said:

Keen waterproof shoes, boots. Take it from a mailman. 😀

Agree.  My mailman wears Keen and also.  Funny, I am looking at your name and my mailman's name is also Dan.  He delivers mail in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I see you are in the suburbs of Chicago.  Could it be you or just a coincidence.

• Like 1

Ive made quite a few Ryobi purchases this week: corner cat sander, 18v brushless jig saw, 18v brushless circular saw, 18v fan and the 3-gallon 18v vacuum.

I was kind of underwelmed with my Milwaukee M12 jig saw (underpowered and no fan) and my M12 Fuel circular saw (lack of options in terms of blades), so I replaced them with tools that I think will be better.

I love the M12 line but Ive come to the conclusion that its probably a line that is much better in drills/impacts that it is maybe in bigger tools like jig saws or circular saws.

• Like 1

@Badgerstate it really depends on what product in the m12 line you get and the battery as well. The newer m12 products really perform quite well. If you have the old brushed tools you will find they are very much lacking in performance. I currently own the new 3/8 stubby impact wrench with a small battery. It does everything I need it to do including change tires on my class 4 utility trailer. I don't own any of the larger 6 cell batteries but every video I have seen about the larger batteries shows they have a very much noticeable performance increase when compared to the smaller 3 cell batteries.

I picked up the Ridgid 18v butane heat gun.  I justified it for use in a drywall project I started over the weekend, and of course like most of my purchases it was on clearance ($65 from $129 at Home Depot, though online it was showing an $89 regular price on some sites).  Using my discount brought the total for the heat gun, a bucket of joint compound, sanding sponge, three pairs of clearance Firm Grip duck canvas gloves, and a 500' roll of tape to just over $100.  

The heat gun is pretty nice, despite the need for butane in addition to a battery.  One thing I really like is the cool down feature, where the fan continues to circulate air for about 30 seconds after the heat is turned off.  This cools the tip down to where it can be touched with a finger (or tossed in a bag/box until the heat gun is needed again).  At a rated max temperature of 1100 degrees, this seems competitive with many corded models and it surpasses the rating of both the Milwaukee and the DeWalt.  Also, since butane is used for heating the battery life should be better than the Red and Yellow heat guns.  Of course, butane has to be purchased and kept on hand, so I'll see how I enjoy using this heat gun in the long run.  

3 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

I am a fan of their socks.  I believe they have Kevlar in them and they are suppose to not get holes in them.  While they lasted a long time, mine finally ended up getting hoes in them but worth every penny.

my wife mends my socks, what the tarnation is going on these days? how else you think I can afford all these tools?...lol

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:32 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Agree.  My mailman wears Keen and also.  Funny, I am looking at your name and my mailman's name is also Dan.  He delivers mail in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and I see you are in the suburbs of Chicago.  Could it be you or just a coincidence.

Just a coincidence, lol,  I'm in the west suburbs, but not northern.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jronman said:

@Badgerstate it really depends on what product in the m12 line you get and the battery as well. The newer m12 products really perform quite well. If you have the old brushed tools you will find they are very much lacking in performance. I currently own the new 3/8 stubby impact wrench with a small battery. It does everything I need it to do including change tires on my class 4 utility trailer. I don't own any of the larger 6 cell batteries but every video I have seen about the larger batteries shows they have a very much noticeable performance increase when compared to the smaller 3 cell batteries.

Yeah, after 1 day with those new Ryobi tools I talked about, Im back to my M12 Milwaukees and have a different opinion on them.

So, after buying those Ryobi tools I talked about, I decided that I didnt like them and returned them.  I then bought the Milwaukee M12 compact vac and a Milwaukee M18 leaf blower.

The overall design of the Ryobi brushless circ saw was just bad.  The saw itself actually works well but the shoe on mine was not straight (not bad but its going to bind if you use a rip fence or a track saw setup), the design of the shoe causes sawdust to build up on it and the guard design is just not good.  I used it to cut a couple boards and went back to my Milwaukee M12.

With the jig saw, its a good saw but I didnt like the lack of a variable speed trigger and the rotary knob that controls the speed is just bad.  It is faster than my M12 because it has an orbital feature but turn that off and its really no faster than my M12 is.  Same as the circ saw, I cut one board with it and realized the Milwaukee is just better.  I still love Ryobi but I guess Im just spoiled by Milwaukee and Ive come to realize just how good the M12 line is.

Id considered going M18 but Im so invested in the M12 line and as someone who is just a homeowner/DIYer, the fact that the M12 stuff is a bit slower and less powerful isnt as much of a deal breaker as I thought it was.

Now Im just waiting until after Christmas to pick up the M18 trimmer. LOL

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, Badgerstate said:

So, after buying those Ryobi tools I talked about, I decided that I didnt like them and returned them.  I then bought the Milwaukee M12 compact vac and a Milwaukee M18 leaf blower.

The overall design of the Ryobi brushless circ saw was just bad.  The saw itself actually works well but the shoe on mine was not straight (not bad but its going to bind if you use a rip fence or a track saw setup), the design of the shoe causes sawdust to build up on it and the guard design is just not good.  I used it to cut a couple boards and went back to my Milwaukee M12.

With the jig saw, its a good saw but I didnt like the lack of a variable speed trigger and the rotary knob that controls the speed is just bad.  It is faster than my M12 because it has an orbital feature but turn that off and its really no faster than my M12 is.  Same as the circ saw, I cut one board with it and realized the Milwaukee is just better.  I still love Ryobi but I guess Im just spoiled by Milwaukee and Ive come to realize just how good the M12 line is.

Id considered going M18 but Im so invested in the M12 line and as someone who is just a homeowner/DIYer, the fact that the M12 stuff is a bit slower and less powerful isnt as much of a deal breaker as I thought it was.

Now Im just waiting until after Christmas to pick up the M18 trimmer. LOL

I would recommend getting the fuel version of a tool if it is available in m12. I don't know if you are still in need of higher demand tools but since you are in the m18 line now it might be worth looking at more m18 tools. The higher demand tools like the circular saw and jig saw might be the more enjoyable experience over the m12 variants. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, jrrod2004 said:

These came in today and the Flexvolt batteries came in last week but I have been super busy at work that I hadnt even moved them to the garage until today. 

IMG_20201204_132653 (1).jpg

IMG_20201211_133107.jpg

IMG_20201211_171220.jpg

sweet, Are there any flexvolt tools that you going to use the new batteries in?

23 hours ago, Jronman said:

I would recommend getting the fuel version of a tool if it is available in m12. I don't know if you are still in need of higher demand tools but since you are in the m18 line now it might be worth looking at more m18 tools. The higher demand tools like the circular saw and jig saw might be the more enjoyable experience over the m12 variants. 

Ive got the M12 Fuel circular saw and its pretty awesome for cutting 2x material.  Really the only limitation is the smaller blade that limits you if you want to cut angles in 2x material.  Ive also got the M12 Fuel hammer drill and its pretty awesome too.  Ive used it for drilling into brick and its a bit slow but it does the job.  I use it mostly for drilling and driving screws into wood and it works great for that.

I kind of wish they made an M12 Fuel jig saw but they dont.  Now that Im getting into the M18 line with the trimmer and the blower, I may look into transitioning more into M18 stuff but I really do like the M12 line because its so light, handy and easy to use.  Not to mention its a bit less expensive than the M18 tools are, which is never a bad thing when youre talking Milwaukee. LOL  I dont even want to know what Ive spent on tools over the last 4 months since we bought our house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jronman said:

sweet, Are there any flexvolt tools that you going to use the new batteries in?

Yeah, Already using the Flexvolt Advantage Drill/Driver (DCD999...I think). The Flexvolt Advantage saw is up next but I havent gotten the Flexvolt blower yet. I cant seem to find one (yet) that is tool only. I figure that I will look in the new year as I bought these today (Home Depot was running a deal that I really liked): 

Milwaukee Packout Stacks.jpg

• Like 1