What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

28 minutes ago, Eric - TIA said:

Someone scored some cool new tools.  Nice Bigmike.

Thanks Eric! Sucks it took me so long to get them back dang rat bastards stole my truck last year with about 2k of tools so I’m happy to almost be back at we’re i once was just sucks I could’ve spent on other new cool tools. 

1 hour ago, Eric - TIA said:

Yes, that does suck.  My buddy just had his van broken into and they took all his tools.  

Really sucks! They took everything inside clothes, stereo and tools plus they took my rims but it pisses me off that there job was probably easier with my 2763 1/2 Milwaukee impact 😡 learned my lesson about leaving tools in my truck... 

I picked up a Dremel 200 at HD.  One of my coworkers bought my Milwaukee M12 rotary tool basically for what I paid for it, so I pulled the trigger on the Dremel.

I dont use a Dremel all the time but it is a handy tool to have around, so I went with a corded one.  After I did the break in procedure, I did some light sanding and some tool sharpening with it and its a keeper.

• Like 1

This is one of those things you realize you need once you start carving skulls for the first time. You can only hold onto a Dremel for so long before the thing starts getting in your way and your fingers get tired. An rotary extension feels more like you are holding a pen and gives you more flexibility. There are only 6 items in this list, but I think this is a must for carving animal skulls. So i ordered a pair of it.

20161105_124742-1-1024x576.jpg

I scored two new to me tools this weekend.  The first is a Toledo No. 1 pipe vise from my wife's grandparents' shed.  It needs cleaning but should come in handy in the shop.

The second is a Jet DC-650 dust collector.  We got a heads up on some free cabinets, and the shop we picked them up at (they were new but had been sitting for five years) had both a radial arm saw and a dust collector sitting outside.  The shop had closed by the time we returned, and the RAS was gone (probably just moved out of the shop for the cleaning they were doing), but the dust collector was still there.  One of the co-owners was still there, so I asked about it and he told me I could take it.  No idea what, if anything, is wrong with it, but it was full of dust and needs to have the cord replaced.  The DC-650 doesn't have the best reviews but free can't be beat.

• Like 2

I ordered a second DeWALT dxst10000 shelving unit for my storage unit from Home Depot. I chose ship to store. It was much cheaper than ship to home. I also got a polishing pad for my Rotex 150 and a Surfix finish applicators set from Festoolproducts.com. I heard The Surfix system was being discontinued and wanted to give it a try before it was too late. I wanted to try to buff out finishes with my rotex and I think this kit will be a good start. I will more than likely fill the dispenser cartridges with my own finish once I use up the included Festool finish in them.

• Like 1

I bought the Space Mouse Enterprise 2 kit from 3D Connexion. I wanted a 3d mouse and wanted a new regular mouse for drafting. Everything in the kit is designed for the CAD professional. I was even able to special order the kit with the left hand variant of their CadMouse. I used their 3d mouse a few years ago and I felt it increased productivity.

I picked up two Packout 10" totes for $42 apiece.  The 15" tote is marked down to $42 but I have yet to find any in stock.  I'll probably transfer some of my electrical tools from one of the AWP totes to a Packout tote, and maybe use the other for plumbing stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Knipex 26 11 200 Snipe Nose Side Cutting Pliers (Stork Beak Pliers) They look like needle nose pliers to me but apparently they aren't. I'm using them like I would a pair of needle nose. I also picked up a Milwaukee Shockwave Red Helix twist drill bit set. I wanted something compatible with 1/4 hex chucks.

I picked up the roofing nailer/circular saw combo I posted about in the Hitachi/Metabo forum.  The saw has some neat features and seems powerful enough after using it for the first time.  One day I'll get around to comparing it to the other cordless saws I have, but it didn't bog down in wet lumber like my Ridgid has in the past.  Also, I used the cheap blade that came with the saw, while my other saws have Diablo 24 or 40 tooth blades.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, fm2176 said:

I picked up two Packout 10" totes for $42 apiece.  The 15" tote is marked down to $42 but I have yet to find any in stock.  I'll probably transfer some of my electrical tools from one of the AWP totes to a Packout tote, and maybe use the other for plumbing stuff.

Found another tote for $12.03 this morning.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, Eric - TIA said:

It's amazing how cheap you are finding those totes.  I haven't seen them that low.  That is awesome.

It really boils down to luck and having a good eye for clearance stickers.  The one I picked up for under $12 was at the first store I visited.  I stopped by three other stores and didn't even see a sticker.

Got a few recent additions over the last month. The compact Makita impact for general light auto while the Ryobi mid-torque is mostly for setting up camps at outdoor events. Gotta say, as overjoyed as I am that Ryobi finally released a brushless impact, the compact Makita is impressive in that it hits almost as hard. That Makita is basically the size of an impact driver.

The circular saw honestly I only got out of principle as I hardly ever have a need for just basic rough circular saw type tasks, but it was on sale for $150. Makita NEVER puts this model on sale, so I decided to go ahead and grab it. Blade-left, compact, I at least see being able to find occasional utility for it. It being on sale, gotta wonder if Makita is close to announcing a replacement.

But honestly I’m most excited about the CXT driver. It still isn’t available in the US technically, but a vendor in the UK was willing to send to me via Amazon. It will easily become my most frequently used CXT tool.

6E94EB98-3F39-4EA7-80BE-0768E1CB3C06.jpeg

• Like 1