What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 8/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, Jronman said:

I also ordered a 4 pack of Bessey KRE bar clamps the other day for over $100 off from Amazon. I think it was something like 44% off. The deal was too good to pass up. The deal is gone but you can still get them for 10% off.

The clamps I ordered did not arrive. They were sent to a town of the same name as mine but in a completely different state. I have gotten a refund from Amazon and will not be buying from that seller again. When the positive rating is 32% that should be indication they were up to no good. Not sure why Amazon chose this seller because you go to the listing now and it says sold by Amazon. Im not wondering if Amazon can automatically change who the product is sold from.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jronman said:

The clamps I ordered did not arrive. They were sent to a town of the same name as mine but in a completely different state. I have gotten a refund from Amazon and will not be buying from that seller again. When the positive rating is 32% that should be indication they were up to no good. Not sure why Amazon chose this seller because you go to the listing now and it says sold by Amazon. Im not wondering if Amazon can automatically change who the product is sold from.

Amazon must be off their game...we ordered a new cage for the hedgehog a few weeks ago and it never arrived.  We had the tracking info but the day it was supposed to be delivered the status got changed to delayed.  After a week my wife called to get a refund and I spent more for the same cage buying at the Petco in town.

I haven't bought any tools for a while, but now that I'm back in my house I need to get motivated to finished unpacking and to set up my shop.  I still have little used tools like my miter and table saws as well as new-in-box stuff like a sander/grinder, band saw, tile saw, and drill press.  I also have to set up the router table I finally got back after loaning it out for two years.

6 hours ago, Altan said:

I did buy a DeWALT cordless heat gun today and it looks like a little toy. It is  so small compared to the corded version. 

I've seen those.  How do you like it?  I have the Ridgid 18v that requires butane and it's a bit heavy but heats up and cools down nicely.

6 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I've seen those.  How do you like it?  I have the Ridgid 18v that requires butane and it's a bit heavy but heats up and cools down nicely.

It is good and the price is OK, I am not too happy that DeWALT makes it in China. Quality is OK it seems, but I will update after a bit of use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an assortment of blades for my carvex jigsaw and I got a sandpaper systainer that came with an assortment of sandpaper. I mostly got it for the box. It comes with a nice insert. The value for the assorted systainer sandpaper kits is better than average.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, Jronman said:

I bought an assortment of blades for my carvex jigsaw and I got a sandpaper systainer that came with an assortment of sandpaper. I mostly got it for the box. It comes with a nice insert. The value for the assorted systainer sandpaper kits is better than average.

The insert is amazing!

I ordered the Wera Advent Calendar. It was sold out from KC Tool but I found it in stock from Hoffmann Group which is another USA German tool retailer. I also ordered from KC Tool an 11 piece Metric Wera Joker wrench set. I got the model with the single direction ratcheting end. Wera makes a model where the ratcheting end has a directional switch but that was more expensive and looked to not be as compact. I will probably pick up the kit of the same wrenches but with inch measurements eventually but not right now. I am really liking the Wera stuff. I have a few of the non ratcheting wrenches I have gotten from tool Crates and Advent calendars. I like the feel of the brushed finish over most other companies smooth chrome finish. 

• 4 weeks later...

The calendar is awesome.  I never knew they had that.  When I first looked it up, I saw it on Amazon for $89 and it blew me away as I thought it had chocolate like what I had as a kid.  However after looking and seeing they have tools, that is awesome.  Never heard of this before.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the DeWALT 20v max power cleaner. I also bought a new 3 in 1 cold weather jacket. I looked at "work" brands for a new jacket and seemed like across the board the main zipper which is what would get the most wear and tear and arguably one of the most important features to last and be reliable had issues. Milwaukee and Truewerk both had zipper issues. I did not look at reviews on Carhart or Klim but not really a fan of how their stuff looks. I forgot to check DeWALT and a few other brands but I think what I chose will be a good option. I previously had a 3 in 1 Columbia and it lasted 10 years or more before the main zipper on the outer shell jacket would not work. The inside coat had it rough. One day many years ago it was resting on a saw horse and a coworker had to cut something with the circ saw. Somehow the coat got in the path of the blade while it was running and now there is a gash in the shoulder. I just attached the other shell and used it that way for years. Still kept me plenty warm while moving snow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lowes sale enticed me to buy another V20 tool for my Craftsman collection. I spent $99 dollars on the 18ga Brad nailer which is just a Porter Cable in red.

This thing is pretty damn good though. Been playing with it to see how it needs to be positioned for work and it is a capable tool. Makes me think the 23ga pin nailer should be my next pick up.

Not sure if I want the 16ga nailer, but I’ll consider the 21 degree framer once it comes down in price.

742BC429-D5BA-4AB9-91F6-A9F0D56AEC14.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finally bought a proper Ryobi charger yesterday.  Since I moved at the end of July I'd been unable to find one.  I've had at least eight of them but gave a bunch of stuff away and might have accidentally left myself without.  I do have one or two of the little slip on chargers, one which came with my Arctic Cove misting fan, but those are all but worthless.

Anyway, a new 6-port charger is in the garage. I had one but my kids tell me the mountain cur got a surprise from it.  I guess she decided to pee on it while I was at work and got shocked.  Regardless of what happened, it stopped working and the cord had already been spliced due to becoming an impromptu chew toy when the cur was a puppy.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 2:37 PM, fm2176 said:

I did use it for shrinking and it works well and it is comfortable to use. But battery was gone very quickly. it seems battery is not a good source for heating and we will not be producing cordless tools for heating purposes in the future!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Altan said:

Got a Bosch 12V planer and it is amazing, it is so small but not too light as you expect from the volume compared to 20V planers, it is very solid and it is made in Hungary as their 12V cordless router is 

I've been feeling the cordless tool bug again, but have only been to Lowe's (largest Bosch distributor in the States) once since moving back in July.  I think I might get back into the Bosch 12v system.  I found a 12v drill and radio combo in an L-Boxx a few years ago but gave it to my daughter.

As for the heat gun, I think that the Ridgid butane/battery gun is pretty good.  It heats quickly and the battery lasts a while, especially if I put one of the larger Octane ones on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I've been feeling the cordless tool bug again, but have only been to Lowe's (largest Bosch distributor in the States) once since moving back in July.  I think I might get back into the Bosch 12v system.  I found a 12v drill and radio combo in an L-Boxx a few years ago but gave it to my daughter.

As for the heat gun, I think that the Ridgid butane/battery gun is pretty good.  It heats quickly and the battery lasts a while, especially if I put one of the larger Octane ones on it.

Yea, gas is a good source for heating and can last much longer.

Some tools are good in Bosch 12V platform, their planer and router are amazing, plus their flexiclick drill that comes with four different chucks and adapters and they have made a new attachment for it which turns it to a tiny SDS+ drill. so 5 different adapters you would have for the same drill.  I recently bought the DeWALT 12V SDS+ drill and it is like a toy, so small, and I actually liked it as most of the holes I make are only 6.5mm and this tool is absolutely fine for it. 

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment.jpg

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment 02.jpg

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment 03.jpg

14 hours ago, Altan said:

Yea, gas is a good source for heating and can last much longer.

Some tools are good in Bosch 12V platform, their planer and router are amazing, plus their flexiclick drill that comes with four different chucks and adapters and they have made a new attachment for it which turns it to a tiny SDS+ drill. so 5 different adapters you would have for the same drill.  I recently bought the DeWALT 12V SDS+ drill and it is like a toy, so small, and I actually liked it as most of the holes I make are only 6.5mm and this tool is absolutely fine for it. 

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment.jpg

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment 02.jpg

Bosch Flexiclick SDS+ Attachment 03.jpg

The Flexiclick is one of the Bosch 12v tools I've been considering for some time.  I have Milwaukee M12 and have thought about getting their installation driver, but I like the size and format of the Bosch.

15 hours ago, fm2176 said:

The Flexiclick is one of the Bosch 12v tools I've been considering for some time.  I have Milwaukee M12 and have thought about getting their installation driver, but I like the size and format of the Bosch.

It seems Flexiclick is made in Malaysia. Also another option is to get Mafell's 12V drill similar to this with different attachments, Mafell 12V batteries are compatible with a lot of other brands within CAS and the tool is made in Germany.  

2023 is going to be the year that I finally going to start the process of UnDeWALTisation. Already started by a Bosch 12V planer, followed by Bosch 12V rotary tool and just now I bought a new German made Fein Ampshare AMM 500 multi tool. I also bought a Bosch dual port charger (12V - 18V) which I can use my Fein batteries with and Bosch 12V batteries as well, so I can keep less charger around, from now any Chinese made DeWALT tool I have will be sold and replaced with non Chinese made tool from other brands if available. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Altan said:

2023 is going to be the year that I finally going to start the process of UnDeWALTisation. Already started by a Bosch 12V planer, followed by Bosch 12V rotary tool and just now I bought a new German made Fein Ampshare AMM 500 multi tool. I also bought a Bosch dual port charger (12V - 18V) which I can use my Fein batteries with and Bosch 12V batteries as well, so I can keep less charger around, from now any Chinese made DeWALT tool I have will be sold and replaced with non Chinese made tool from other brands if available. 

For better or worse, we Yankees don't really have many options.  Despite having a lot of tool brands over here, most have offshored production to China.  Many of the European brands you often write about are unavailable, or at least prohibitively expensive and inconvenient to import.  

Like many Americans, I like convenience and instant gratification.  This is why you hear stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, and sometime Menards brought up so often.  They are big boxes that stock, and quickly sell, a lot of "Big Name" tools (DeWalt, Milwaukee, heck, even Ryobi) for relatively cheap prices.  Lowe's used to sell Metabo (pre-HPT acquisition), and still sells Bosch and Flex, while Home Depot sells Makita, but every one of those brands' tools seem to be made in China, so we get different stuff over here.

For the foreseeable future, I'll be using and abusing my Asian-made power tools and enjoying the US-made Snap-On and other hand tools.  As evidenced by my recent TIA activity, I've been buying some decent Austrian, Turkish, and other tools recently, though admittedly my next tool is going to be Chinese--an early '90s Norinco SKS that takes AK mags.  It might get along with the Yugoslavian M56/66.

• Like 1