What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

11 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I'm getting there, some of those sizes are tricky to find at a respectable price

By the time you buy two or three It cost as much as a whole set.  My dad bought a 1 5/16 gear wrench for a harmonic balancer puller and I bet it cost more than the puller, it sure speeds it up a ton though

1 minute ago, NicholasShetley said:

By the time you buy two or three It cost as much as a whole set.  My dad bought a 1 5/16 gear wrench for a harmonic balancer puller and I bet it cost more than the puller, it sure speeds it up a ton though

If you watch eBay and amazon warehouse, you can usually get pretty sweet deals, and my new addiction to Shop Your Rewards as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

If you watch eBay and amazon warehouse, you can usually get pretty sweet deals, and my new addiction to Shop Your Rewards as well.

The 1" was my most expensive one, freaking $18...nearly half the cost of the set. Wish Sears had more sizes so I could have used more SYW points. Advance auto parts helped with a couple, with sales and coupons.

1 hour ago, kruton said:

I never find any tools worth buying at the pawn shop.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Luckily we have a ton in Tampa and with test instruments they really have no clue. I might go back to one pawn shop that had a Fluke 115 that had some serious issues, if I can get them to knock it down rather drastically because of it I can get a great deal. It might have issues just because of the leads but the meter comes with a case and about $120 worth of clips and a case that's about $30. Basically resistance was fluctuating really bad and it wasn't able to trigger the continuity beeper, could be the leads or a seriously F-ed up DMM. I'm definitely not going to bring in good leads to give them any leverage.

I also found a Matco tool cart with one drawer and a lockable top for only $52...might need to go back to grab that, wish it had more drawers but the price is killer.

55 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

The only decent thing I saw at any pawn shop was a lightly used fluke 87 for $150. If I remember right they are almost $400 new.

The 87V is, the 87 or 87III probably was but isn't worth a whole lot now. If it was the 87V(the meter I have) going rate is about $250 used with one set of good leads. The 87 is about $60-80, 87III is about $150.

If it's an early serial number 87V you might be able to get them to go a little lower with a trick. The early ones had an issue with GSM, so you can make a call (turn off 4G) and hold it to the left side of the meter and it will probably glitch and shut down.

Also, you need to check the screen on all the 8* series because they fade, which is easily fixable but you shouldn't pay a premium if the screen is fading.

Also on the 87V it should come with a wire style temperature probe, which can easily be broken. So check it if it includes the probe, retail is $45 for that guy.

14 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Yeah I think the 3/8" was a good choice you have the 1/2" beast. Oh and guess what I just got. 600930ef488095b5bb30fce43ec82561.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkemoji41.png

John, that is friggin awesome! Good for you dude now go and nail somebo.....some things!!!!

• Like 2

Scored my Gyro ... Just had to have it ...

it took a little to get used to, but really nice. Torque was good, better than I expected ... I asked a bit here before I bought it, info I received was spot on !!

#TIACREW !!!!

image.jpeg

• Like 8

I got this to hold misc. bits.  Not sure if this is the best option thou. How do you guys keep your bits that didn't come in a kit?  

I don't. .. this is a problem for me too, I need to get me a couple little boxes for such a purpose

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I don't. .. this is a problem for me too, I need to get me a couple little boxes for such a purpose

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The one I got is only $2 at HD. Just not sure if I sould get a few of them or there is a better method. 

I got this to hold misc. bits.  Not sure if this is the best option thou. How do you guys keep your bits that didn't come in a kit?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have various sizes of those I keep extra bits, sawzall blades, jig saw blades, router hits, cut one up for circ blades.

12 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

I have some bits in fishing storage boxes. Walmart is clearing out some of their Plano boxes for cheap , made in the USA really nice boxes. I bought like 8 of them, plenty left around here. Used some for bits. Some for test leads and a couple for prototyping kits.

The 3650 is $2.88 each. Amazon link 4 for $30: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Prolatch-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B015HQALNM

The 27350 is $3.84. Amazon link for $12: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-StowAway-Organizer-Adjustable-Compartments/dp/B007UTNREK

The redish clips are on sale the other versions are regular price.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

I have some bits in fishing storage boxes. Walmart is clearing out some of their Plano boxes for cheap , made in the USA really nice boxes. I bought like 8 of them, plenty left around here. Used some for bits. Some for test leads and a couple for prototyping kits.

The 3650 is $2.88 each. Amazon link 4 for $30: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Prolatch-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B015HQALNM

The 27350 is $3.84. Amazon link for $12: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-StowAway-Organizer-Adjustable-Compartments/dp/B007UTNREK

The redish clips are on sale the other versions are regular price.

Anyone know if the huskey one I got are any good?  They come in like 8 dif sizes like mine.  -- Looks like they come in 7", 9", 11", 14", etc and then around that 14"+ range you start to get a ton more options 

21 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

Anyone know if the huskey one I got are any good?  They come in like 8 dif sizes like mine.  -- Looks like they come in 7", 9", 11", 14", etc and then around that 14"+ range you start to get a ton more options 

I've looked at them and they are ok but I like the containers that are a little more pliable in case they fall. The Plano ones are also thicker plastic. They're better than the hard plastic ones that crack and have the lid break off within the first couple of weeks. The Plano ones are designed to be tossed around, you don't have to worry about them opening...tackle boxes need to be super durable.

$2 is a great price for that Husky IMO.

You can also pick up some of these(high quality, I think it's a steal at this price), they're similar to the hardware trays to find at ACE hardware: http://www.amazon.com/Durham-209-95-IND-Rolled-Individual-Compartment/dp/B006WQB3RK

• Like 2