New Day New project.....

comp56

Well today picked out some wood for a project I'm doing....going to be making a wood sheath and matching handle for one of my son's 6 swords. This one is a Bastard Sword or also known as a Hand and a Half.

the wood used will be Padauk also known as Vermillion with Juglans Nigra also known as Dark Walnut

20151214_151635.jpg

thanks guys

@Mikeyb ya I have a local guy that usually has pretty much anything I can afford...lol some of this wood is crazy expensive.....looking at Santo Rosewood .....not bad at $44 a board foot..........

anyways here is what I got so far.....have all measurements cut into 3 and marked off for angle cuts. the sheath will have walnut on an angle at top and bottom 

20151214_193948.jpg

20151214_194009.jpg

ok so it's back to square one....(no pun intended) let's say back to a solid piece of wood again......only difference is now the blade fits perfectly in the square well not really a square.....planed it down to S4S then will sand once I cut out top groove for blade handle and shape bottom end.....

2_25.jpg

3_20.jpg

4_14.jpg

ok so the scabbard for the sword is complete, from the top to the bottom I tapered it by 1/8" to a rounded point. here it is after 280/600 grit sanding.....handle is next.......

4_15.jpg

1_25.jpg

3_19.jpg

2_26.jpg