Milwaukee palm sander 6020-21

Conductor562

I've got lots of Milwaukee tools and I can honestly say I never had a serious gripe about any of them....until I bought their 1/4 sheet palm sander. All things considered it's a good tool. It's 3 amps where most are either 2 or 2.5 and it's built like an armored truck, by far the most powerful I've used. It's great for smoothing out a rough surface or shaping corners but in finer detail applications it almost has too much power. My only complaint is with the paper clamp system. It is awful! If it were 1/1000th of a degree harder to change it would require 2 people. It's like a Ferrari with 4 flat tires. I've noticed they've gotten pretty hard to find and when you do find them they're usually refurbished. Anyone heard of or seen an updated model? Am I off base in thinking that's likely the reason for the unavailability?

28459_6020-21.jpg

I don't think the Mirca is cheap. Dan has one and loves it. I don't know much about sanders, but the one thing I don't like about the Mirca is the power box you have to plug into. Not sure if they are all like that, but the one Dan has does have this box. Basically you plug a cord from the wall into this box, then a cord goes from the box to the sander. I am sure there is a major reason for the box, but just doesn't seem as mobile. Everyone raves about them.

Good to know about the Milwaukee. I have been eyeing the sander for some time and wanted to try it out. I am not sure what's up with Milwaukee and sanders. When I visit their site, they really don't offer much. Wondering if they are getting away from that area of tools.

The website I found listed at $495 but I believe it was in a non-USD currency. I'm going to guess it's primarily a european tool and the US models employ a converter box rather than a tool designed solely for US distribution. I may be way the hell off, but that's the most logical explanation I can conjure.

Hi Tool Boy,

You guys would love it over here lol.Our household supply in the U.K is 240 volts and a 100 amps, yet on building sites its reduced down to 110v using transformers, so we can buy most tools in both voltages.

So tools from the U.S will not work over here.

Most of Europe is on different voltage to us too, and the plug on the end of the cable in the U.K that goes in the wall socket has 3 prongs, Live, Neutral and Earth, yet many other countries in Europe only have 2.

Where it gets real fun is on cordless tools because they all come with 240v chargers over here, but very few come with chargers that will run on 110v for site work, and these you have to buy on they're own.

I,don't know if changing the plug on a U.S tool would mean it would run on our 110v site supply, because I think that you guys are on a different amp rating to us too.

Our tape measures are fun too, we have old U.K feet and inches down one side, and Millimeters and meters down the other because there are older guys like me who span the time when we changed over from imperial measurement to decimal. :)

Hi Tool Boy,

I have a makita palm sander, I ran in a supplier because my old one had been stolen and I needed on in a hurry and the Makita was the only one in stock.So I grabbed it and it has been a very good tool.But on a lot of jobs the paper gets clogged and dust can be a real problem.

So i may look at one of these dustless machines for any larger jobs in the future.

Every place I've looked has the Milwaukee for sale. Local HD has them for $50.

My favorite sander is the Porter Cable 330 Speed Bloc. Built like a tank. I do have one of their more recent models (342R) for overhead work, the paper change is dead simple on this one, although it is a little weak for holding multiple sheets well.

Re: Mirca Ceros = $495 @ http://www.woodcraft.com/ the only place I've seen them for sale.

Re:UK 110v @ 50 Hz vs US 110v @ 60 Hz This would mean that your tool would run slower than designed and I would think, burn out quicker. I would think if a charger would work at all the 50 Hz wouldn't make much diference in a solid state device, especially since there is some electrickery going on to convert it to the batteries DC.

CPO Milwaukee carries refurbished models but never have more than 2 or 3 in stock. Ohio Power Tool doesn't carry them. Tool Barn, Tool King, or Tools Plus doesn't have them, and Ace Tool has them sometimes (at their typically rediculious prices). None of the 3 HD's in my area carry them. You can usually find the 6021-21 orbital, but rarely a 6020-21. You can find them, but you have to hunt for them. They just don't seem as available as the rest.