Kobalt gearless ratchets now in three drive sizes

NicholasShetley

While browsing the hand tools at lowes the other day I came across these gearless ratchets in three drive sizes, not just 3/8. What's odd is the 3/8 set with the ratchet and some universal sockets was only $19.99. I wound up getting the 1/4 inch one and used it on some interior work and it worked great but you do have to hold the ratchet close to perpendicular to the anvil otherwise it sort of locks up. If you keep that in mind it works fine though. If you need a ratchet for tight spaces I would recommend these. I'm not sure how much torque these will hold up to but if you happen to break it, they do have a lifetime warranty.

How does the 3-in-1 work?  It looks like 1/4 & 1/2 drive.  I don't see the 3/8.  Do the smaller drives collapse to allow the 1/2 socket to fully attach?

Like Jimbo said, the 3/8" is on one side. The 1/4" is on top of the 1/2", permanently, nothing collapses.

It's not a good ratchet, stay away. It's not made very well, the switch sucks, the head is massive and the space it takes up to use is just ridiculous. There's a reason they have a set that comes in a box with sockets/3-in-1 ratchet that is about the same cost as the stand-alone ratchet(actually I think it's cheaper).

I've never bought into the stupid stocking stuffers tools from Sears, why? ...because you can try them in the store, you see how crappy it is and gtfo out there. Lowe's gets me sometimes, I buy it because of the discount price after black friday. Open them, see how crappy it is and return it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While browsing the hand tools at lowes the other day I came across these gearless ratchets in three drive sizes, not just 3/8. What's odd is the 3/8 set with the ratchet and some universal sockets was only $19.99. I wound up getting the 1/4 inch one and used it on some interior work and it worked great but you do have to hold the ratchet close to perpendicular to the anvil otherwise it sort of locks up. If you keep that in mind it works fine though. If you need a ratchet for tight spaces I would recommend these. I'm not sure how much torque these will hold up to but if you happen to break it, they do have a lifetime warranty.

I have a question for you:

How many Nm (Newton meter) do you need?

You may ask sales man about the warranty condition for the ratchet.

I stay away from all kobalt tools, every single thing I have bought of theirs falls apart in a couple weeks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is so true, I had hoped I wasn't the only one. Had bad experience with all their items i've got so far, so i'm not touching Kobalt again. Guy I work with got a pair of Kobalt 10" pipe wrenches, they are the clumsiest, loosest, most awkward to tighten/loosen, never grip right pieces of junk, ughh, i hate those things. 

I have a question for you:

How many Nm (Newton meter) do you need?

You may ask sales man about the warranty condition for the ratchet.

I bought the 1/4 inch ratchet for interior work which is maybe a Mac of 20 ft lbs max. I'm not sure what that is in ft lbs.