Calling all electricians....

RickyMcGrath

I am very well versed and experienced in basic household electrical. I've replaced basic panels, wired outlets and I understand the ins and outs of residential electrical and some small commercial. Years ago, I bought a some transfer switches to hook up my 15Kw portable generator as we had frequent power outages. I did it quickly and didn't take a lot of time to make it look pretty. I'm getting ready to add two circuits in the garage and figured while I was at it, I would make these transfer switches look a lot more clean. I will also be hooking up an Eaton whole home surge protector.

How exactly does one work with a recessed panel into the drywall? I don't like all the wires and flex conduit just pulled through the drywall.

Thanks in advance.

1e85232e85c8d5c2ffb6f7583fd43d11.jpg

Not and Electrician up front just an FYI.  Do you want the wiring completely hidden that would require opening the wall with that you could just use regular wire and not deal with cnonduit. The other option would be is hard conduit it would look cleaner than the flex you have going right now.

I was thinking about that. The flex is what makes it look like crap to me. My only reservation is that down here, I've NEVER seen rigid conduit in residential. Everything is dry walled, no basements and we just don't use it. But I'm thinking that's the way to go.

I also need to do a run for my compressor eventually, or I'll go through the attic. Not sure.

• Like 1

They do have some panels now with manual transfer switches built in now, but I'm sure that's and expense and hassle you don't want to deal with :)

Don't need to right now. I got the transfer switches for free so I'm still trying to keep the costs as low as possible. [emoji16]

Reporting for duty sir!!! You really don't need a transfer switch for a portable gen only for automatic standby gens. I install a plug that matches the gen cable and back feed with a breaker. You just shut your main breaker off and than plug in your cable turn on the gen and the breaker and now the whole panel has power. For example if you have a 6/3 cord you install a 50 amp 4 prong outlet in a 1900 box with a 2 gang mud ring. Just cut a 4x4 hole in the wall next to a stud and put a small piece of 3/4 flex from the 1900 box to the panel inside the wall. Than just screw the box to the stud your left with the outlet flush with the wall just put the cover on and your done. You can do this for what ever size you need just match the breaker, wire and outlet size 20amp 30amp or 50amp. Don't waste your money on premade gen cords you can make your own as long as you want for a cheaper price. Just buy SOOW cord by the foot and buy what ever twist lock connector you need for the ends. If you want to keep the transfer switches do what Jason said, you might have to open the switches and drill a new hole in the back and move the connector to get all the flex in the wall.

• Like 5

Reporting for duty sir!!! You really don't need a transfer switch for a portable gen only for automatic standby gens. I install a plug that matches the gen cable and back feed with a breaker. You just shut your main breaker off and than plug in your cable turn on the gen and the breaker and now the whole panel has power. For example if you have a 6/3 cord you install a 50 amp 4 prong outlet in a 1900 box with a 2 gang mud ring. Just cut a 4x4 hole in the wall next to a stud and put a small piece of 3/4 flex from the 1900 box to the panel inside the wall. Than just screw the box to the stud your left with the outlet flush with the wall just put the cover on and your done. You can do this for what ever size you need just match the breaker, wire and outlet size 20amp 30amp or 50amp. Don't waste your money on premade gen cords you can make your own as long as you want for a cheaper price. Just buy SOOW cord by the foot and buy what ever twist lock connector you need for the ends. If you want to keep the transfer switches do what Jason said, you might have to open the switches and drill a new hole in the back and move the connector to get all the flex in the wall.

They actually sell a little interlock for your panel so that your technically meeting code. You can get in a lot of trouble if you accidentally back feed into the grid. Some people will do the suicide cord as they call them to back freed some power to home outlets.

They actually sell a little interlock for your panel so that your technically meeting code. You can get in a lot of trouble if you accidentally back feed into the grid. Some people will do the suicide cord as they call them to back freed some power to home outlets.

This.

Not worth the risk. The interlock prevents the possibility of forgetfulness and the inevitable boom.

Transfer switches are idiot proof and there is zero risk of frying stuff.

Interlocks are the least expensive solution.

http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

Good read, lol.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/stories/13-How-NOT-to-Connect-a-Portable-Generator.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I already have the switches and two 30' cords.

When I was younger, my dad fried the entire panel when he was back feeding through something like that. It was a terrible storm or something and was limited in parts and equipment so I'm sure it wasn't exactly correct.

I think I'm just going to get the recess trim kits and run everything behind the drywall so it's hidden and I can patch up the drywall below.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I already have the switches and two 30' cords.

When I was younger, my dad fried the entire panel when he was back feeding through something like that. It was a terrible storm or something and was limited in parts and equipment so I'm sure it wasn't exactly correct.

I think I'm just going to get the recess trim kits and run everything behind the drywall so it's hidden and I can patch up the drywall below.

How'd this turn out?

Where do you have your generator, garage or just set outside somewhere to vent the exhaust? Did you run large enough wire to handle your whole house load?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
How'd this turn out? Where do you have your generator, garage or just set outside somewhere to vent the exhaust? Did you run large enough wire to handle your whole house load?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My focus shifted to other things and I have up for the time being. I have to get some other things organized before I get to this corner of the garage.