Credit Card Fraud

Poisonfangs85

Let me start by saying I have nothing against Cabelas. They are always quick to catch the fraud and issue me a new card immediately.

I have had my Cabelas visa credit card number used fraudulently 3 times in the past 2 years. Like I said Cabelas is quick to notify me within an hour of the transactions and stop any further damage. It seems like credit card fraud is just a rampant problem no one can solve. Sure it had a chip in the card, but what does that do other than take extra time at checkout. It's all a false sense of security that they feed us on a spoon. It really sucks that it happened today. I will get a card in the next day or so, but now I have to do all of my automatic payments all over again. Grrrr

Oh and to the scumbag that stopped at the Walgreens and Speedway in Southern Wisconsin a short time ago...Merry Christmas ya filthy animal!

Thanks for letting me vent.

One of my close friends keeps getting his and his wife's credit card info stolen...on brand new cards, envelops come looking like they were tampered with. They're mailbox has a lock so it's in their postal system but it seems that USPS doesn't care and won't do anything to stop it...even though it's a federal offense.

It's one of those things at this point that we just have to live with, we need multiple cards and every once in a while you're going to get your card number stolen. The only thing the chips do is put the liability on the business swiping the card...but people that steal card numbers often print their own cards so checking ID doesn't work and the chip doesn't do anything if someone prints a card that can swipe, in my opinion it's just a money grab to get businesses to buy the machines that read the chips in the cards.

Sorry Jason. That sucks dude. Funny enough I was at Walmart tonight. I hate Walmart. I mean I REALLY hate Walmart. Anyways the girl in front of me was wearing pajamas. Seriously. What the heck is it with pajamas? She was trying to scam the register operator into letting her go to another line white her bags after her card didn't allow her to purchase.. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to get involved in it but my Wife was chuckling afterwards. She's like, if she had any idea who you were. I was like....I'm a woodworker. I'd throw a chisel at her before I put handcuffs on the fat pajama wearing heroin addict douche bag.

• Like 1

Sorry Jason. That sucks dude. Funny enough I was at Walmart tonight. I hate Walmart. I mean I REALLY hate Walmart. Anyways the girl in front of me was wearing pajamas. Seriously. What the heck is it with pajamas? She was trying to scam the register operator into letting her go to another line white her bags after her card didn't allow her to purchase.. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to get involved in it but my Wife was chuckling afterwards. She's like, if she had any idea who you were. I was like....I'm a woodworker. I'd throw a chisel at her before I put handcuffs on the fat pajama wearing heroin addict douche bag.

Thanks for the laugh Chris! I share your sentiment for Wally World, it's like walking through the back lot of a deranged hillbilly stereotype comedy movie...EXCEPT ITS REAL LIFE!

• Like 1

That sucks. We just went through a similar scenario over Thanksgiving. Had to close out the accounts and start from scratch.

Like you said this is becoming all too common. It's more surprising to find someone that hasn't been a victim of fraud.

My wife and I have taken measures to limit electronic payments and pay cash whenever we can but still manage to be victimized.

my world, it is all over the place.....wife was at one of our 3 walmarts just tonight as well and when she was getting to her van a young girl near the back of her van was standing with a full cart of groceries and 3 guys came running out from the store yelling at her........and screaming call 9-1-1 I guess she didn't pay for some or all of her stuff.....wife got in her van and sped off

Sorry to hear about situation Poison especially with being so close to the holidays, I hate to hear about these scum out there taking away from our hard working people and Wal Mart?!? Don't even get me started on that damn place!! I Hate that place that's why I go to Target it's so calm there no crazies running around.

• Like 1

After reading all of this I'm glad I only have a debit card.

Actually, you are much better off using a credit card rather than a debit card. Besides limiting your liability to $50, you aren't out any money directly while the credit card companies figure out what was going on, issue a new card, etc. The problem with debit cards is that it your money that is in the bank which is being stolen. So while your bank should eventually reimburse you if you lose money out of your account due to fraud (depending on how soon you identify and report the fraud), for the time it takes them to get it straightened out you may not have enough money in your account to pay your bills that are due, which just brings on more headaches.
  • Like 1

I got my bank card skimmed at the ATM a couple years ago. It is absolutely amazing the amount of effort they put into the process. For those who don't know they make a physical replica of a specific make and model of ATM that sticks onto the front of the banks actual machine. As you slide your card into the fake faceplate and it reads the card right before it slides into the actual machine to get your account info so the crooks can make a duplicate bank card later on. To get your pin they have a camera with cell phone radio imbedded into one of those mirrors stuck on the top to video your fingers tapping the pin in. Crazy sophisticated and they make so much money they never have to return to get all the hardware and risk getting caught, hence the cellphone radio to relay all the video and data back home. The beauty of this scam is the victims use the machine and get their money so they go about their business as if nothing was wrong, they attack the account later on.

If you google atm skimmers you can see how perfect they make the replica faceplates. I'm a technophile and I didn't think twice about it being phony. Now when I go to the ATM I grab the machine where the cards go in and shake it just to be sure and people think I'm a nut lol.

That's a good idea to pull on it and shake it a little to see if it's legit. I think the banks should be the ones going out to check on a daily basis to see if all is right.  It's the banks property and their customers. They may well be doing this I don't know. Lets hope they are at least trying .

Good old purple rubber band lol. Why is it the best quality rubber bands are used on vegetables

isn't that the truth, I had one last about 4 years.......nothing more embarrassing than to whip out your money with a new band....lol

You wanna know what is fraud? When you have awesome credit, but a credit card company is charging you 19.9% interest, I think that is fraud. So lets say you charge 5,000 dollars to say a card with an interest rate like that, unless you are rolling in the benjamines, and I mean a lot of them, you aint ever going to pay it off, cause the interests will bleed you dry. Again, hence, FRAUD!

the only thing wrong with what you are thinking is people know what they charge for interest before they rack up the bills, so in actuality it is not fraud it is crazy they can charge that much interest but not fraud......

and you are right, credit card companies want you to fail, or at the least get in so you can only afford minimum payments. I have had credit cards for many years and hardly use them and I'm constantly getting letters to up my limit....

I guess they are hoping one day I snap and charge everything in sight......