Channellock mini pliers

Conductor562

I have a thing for Channellock pliers. I have 21 different pairs of them. The only pliers I own that aren't Channellock brand are the mini pliers. I know they use to make them as I have a pair of 4" side cutters that best I can tell are model #41. I'd like to have a set of these mini pliers because the sea of blue on my peg board looks a little off with the kobalt set I have mixed in there. Anyone know anything about these? Do they still make them? Doesn't appear that they do. I've watched ebay to no avail. Anyone run across any anywhere?

Bahco are one of those brands that are frustratingly difficult to find here in the U.S. If it were not for the internet, I don't think I would ever have a chance to purchase them. They seem to have disappeared a few years ago, along with Sandvik. I think Bahco bought Sandvik, and then Bahco was bought by Snap-on. I don't think Snap-on is really all that interested in retail marketing, which might be why they are so hard to find here.

I have a lot of Channellocks spread throughout my tool collection, some in the shop, some in purpose built tool sets, and in every vehicles that I use.

I have a bunch of Knipex that I carry for daily use. I'm kind of a sucker for gimmicks in slip joint pliers and their Alligator and Cobra Pliers are really well made. Knipex has a tool they call the Pliers Wrench which is like a cross between an adjustable wrench and a pair of Channellocks, real handy for building out a minimalist tool kit.

Speaking of neat gimmicks, Snap on has that Thumb adjustable joint on some of their pliers, which seam to work really well.

http://buy1.snapon.c...ore&dir=catalog

When it come down to it though, simplest always wins in the end, especially when it come to getting down to work in the grease and mud.

I have 1 set of chanellock and the rest are Bahco the only 2 makers who I have not broken.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on which brands fail, and how. I can't imagine breaking many of them. Especially brands like Snap-on or Knipex, even brands Irwin and Craftsman seem pretty robust. Even really cheap stuff like those Robo-Grip pliers look like they would be hard to break.

I have come across some brands that are REALLY rare here in the states but you may be more familiar with, King Dick, and Usag, they both seem well made, but I only saw them briefly and didn't really get to check them out all that well. I think the Usag where an OEM set for a car.

Channellocks are, I believe, the industry standard, to the point that they have become the generic name for these type of tools. Hardly anyone calls them anything else. Kind of like Kleenex. Very seldom have I heard them called slip joint pliers, I have more often heard them called water pump pliers, but even then, this is fairly rare.

Over the years the quality of many tools seems to have gone down like a nackerd lift.

Snapon tools I bought at 15 years old still work exactly the same as always and I have hundreds of spanners of all kinds of makes and model in tool boxes all over the place.But pliers of all types and water pump pliers e.t.c have been a problem.

I have thrown more sets in the skip than I could count, where I have gripped full throttle and they have either bent, sheered off the pivot or just slipped open busting in bits.

I bought a set of Rothenberger grips and on the first use the handles touched and the pivot rounded off.

They were about as much use as an anvil to a drowning man.

I've got a couple pairs of Proto pliers and a set of Knipex t&g's and while they're good quality pliers, I wouldn't trade my Channellock pliers for them. The only complaint I have is that their bent needle nose model 386 (the only bent model they make) is a bit to bulky at the tips to be effective in many situations. The Proto equivilant that I have are much thinner and easier to manage in tight spots. The trade off is obviously durability as I'm on my 2nd pair of Proto's. Can't beat Channellock's, quality tools still made stateside in Meadville, PA

I've got a couple pairs of Proto pliers and a set of Knipex t&g's

Just a pedantic nit pick, but, Knipex do NOT make tongue and groove pliers. They call the joint they use for their adjustment a box joint.

Edited by PutnamEco
spelling

I don't know what the call it, but it looks like a 3/4 circle. They are nice pliers though. I carry them in my grip. Rarely have a need for them unless I run into a bad train line gasket or on the rare occasion I have a caboose and want to hook up my whistle.

I tried to post a pick but it doesn't look like it's working.

I don't see anything. :(

Had that problem the other day, trying to embed Youtube videos, it may take a while for them to show up. I could not see the videos until the next day. My armchair webmastering opinion would be that the database is not configured for user uploads. It should work if you define it yourself by inserting your own code.

First you will have to find an somewhere to host your image, then post it

Like this

[img=http://i.imgur.com/kNjht.jpg]

kNjht.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a thing for Channellock pliers. I have 21 different pairs of them. The only pliers I own that aren't Channellock brand are the mini pliers. I know they use to make them as I have a pair of 4" side cutters that best I can tell are model #41. I'd like to have a set of these mini pliers because the sea of blue on my peg board looks a little off with the kobalt set I have mixed in there. Anyone know anything about these? Do they still make them? Doesn't appear that they do. I've watched ebay to no avail. Anyone run across any anywhere?

I had to respond to this because I have a pair, and they're one of those tools I've had for about 20+ years now and would be pretty upset if I lost them. I actually have a few times but have found them again. They're ridiculously handy and when you need them, no other tool does the job better.

Here they are on Amazon: click

Yeah, I took a picture, so what? lol

908294e9.jpg

You just can't beat Channellock pliers!

Hey, I beat my Channellocks regularly and they keep coming back for more. :)

Channellocks have been some of the most durable tools I have ever worked with. I still have the first pair I purchased many years ago, if tools could talk, it would sure have some tales to tell. Their adjustable wrenches are very well made too.

• Like 1