DCF887 review/comparison

JimboS1ice

So I got some hands on time with my new Dewalt impact, the 887 and gotta say it's awesome. So much more power than the 886. Side by side it looks the same except the chuck and is a little bit stouter, other than that you couldn't really tell the difference if you didn't know better.

Going from the 886 to the 887, you get three speeds and 325 more pounds per square inch totaling out at 1825. This thing rocks, speed three is at 3250 rpms, speed 2 is 2800 and speed 1 (precision mode) is at 1000 rpms.

Speed 1 is nice, very slow, feels like using a cordless screw driver. Speed 2 is where most work gets done, pretty much the speed and torque of the 886. Speed 3 takes some getting used to, high rpm, easy to strip out on Philips. Great power though.

Overall this thing is awesome, right up there with the gen 2 Fuel. Lacks a self tapping mode and I like the push button as opposed to the slider for speed select. Unit has a good feel to it and never felt under powered.

Posted some pictures of it compared to the 886, 887 is on the left.

a0d3f9045b5ee44a56914ad3a0ac1f3d.jpg

d63acd3ed32ff6ddccfdbdc3614af448.jpg

3e7e1f5ed59eaf147fc045bba022889b.jpg

0b95f8830a577113a76da46e491ea05d.jpg

78789ae9114b9bfca2472b753f87b617.jpg

c921f35ca24a1e999ee87e3df468d6b4.jpg

The new style chuck is easier to grab.

a9c42edc6a0728dcb9842ab8f42b8402.jpg

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sill can't figure out why Dewalt hasn't released compact brushless impact's yet. All they really do is add a different anvil.

The only thing about this one is that the housing seems slightly smaller, which wouldn't be hard to machine the anvil down a hair, but hard to say until you open it up.

Jimbo

• 4 weeks later...

Nice comparison.....

But I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another impact driver waiting in the wings...

Look at the new body styling of the dcd791 drill/driver and dcd796 combi drill....?

Very often the impact drivers share body styles of that of their drill cousins

Nice comparison.....

But I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another impact driver waiting in the wings...

Look at the new body styling of the dcd791 drill/driver and dcd796 combi drill....?

Very often the impact drivers share body styles of that of their drill cousins

This impact released with the new 791 and 796 drills, the new xr kits are shipping with this impact.

Jimbo

Out of interest how long does it take a dewalt charger to charge the 4 or 5 ah batteries ?

Good hour and a half on a 5.0, at least Milwaukee has a rapid charger hopefully Dewalt will introduce one this year.

Jimbo

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, overanalyze said:

Hope it is ok to put this here...does this seem excessive? I used this for the first time yesterday and noticed it when driving in some 3" screws.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

That doesn't look good. I thought you were referring to run out but that ain't run out! I don't have a Dewalt impact but my Bosch doesn't do that. 

Yeah neither did my Bosch nor do the other 2 Milwaukee ones my partner has nor does my older 18v ones. Hopefully it is just a fluke and not "within tolerance".

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1