DCF887 review/comparison

JimboS1ice

I've heard some criticism about speed 1 causing a signifigant delay and then excessive feedback as the impacts roll in causing one to twist the drill. 

Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet and bought one. My old brushed dewalt 20v impact has finally toasted it's brushes so I'm in the market so I have a backup for the 887 with my daily driver 886. 

The 886 is still an awesome impact to boot. I am really digging the multi speed of my Bosch though. I think I'd jump on the 887 though as I'm thinking about streaming my shop to just Festool and Dewalt tools and off loading my 18v Bosch tools. Just having pulled the plug yet.....:unsure:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisK said:

The 886 is still an awesome impact to boot. I am really digging the multi speed of my Bosch though. I think I'd jump on the 887 though as I'm thinking about streaming my shop to just Festool and Dewalt tools and off loading my 18v Bosch tools. Just having pulled the plug yet.....:unsure:

It's kind of like dumping that girl that you like but know you don't have a future with. Dewalt is wifey material. Commit already.

As for the 886, I love it, but I don't feel comfortable just having one impact around, at times I need to have an assistant driving screws next to me. Also the speed boost of driving long decking screws is a great bonus, better efficiency as the daily driver makes me more money to spend on the wifey (ahem, Dewalt). 

• Like 1

I don't know how much Bosch you have but if you think about how much you could get for it, that better assists you on what to budget for in Dewalt's goodies. 

What exactly would you want in Dewalt if you converted tomorrow initially? 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't know how much Bosch you have but if you think about how much you could get for it, that better assists you on what to budget for in Dewalt's goodies. 

What exactly would you want in Dewalt if you converted tomorrow initially? 

I think that's the beauty of it dude, I'm very vested in my Festool lineup and ,y Bosch 12v line. I do have the 18v brushless impact driver/wrench (IDH182) and the brushless multi tool MXH 180BL with three wireless charging pads, a 4.0 wireless battery and two or three 2.0 wireless batteries. I'm actually limited in my Bosch lineup. 

For Dewalt I have two chargers, two 5.0s, the Framing nailer and finish nailer and soon to have the new 60v recip saw come August. 

Currently i I have the 18v HKC 55 and T18 drill for cordless Festools as well as the CXS. 

I am in the market for a hammer drill and may be getting the Festool PDC however a Dewalt 887 would fit nicely in the shop and a Rotary hammer would be helpful. I'd prefer the Dewalt over Festool as the Dewalt has hammer mode only without the drilling function and the Festool is two function. Also am looking to purchase the 20v OR 120v miter and the small contractor saw and the VSR drill.

• Like 1

All sounds good, as for the hammer drill in tool shootouts Dewalt wins every time in the hammer drilling department. Nobody that really does shootouts ever uses Festool so for comparisons sake you have nothing to go by. 

That said, if you think you're really going to use it that much, skip both and go for cordless SDS 60v that's coming out. The increase in impact energy going to SDS is nothing to underestimate. I love my hammerdrill (dcd995) and it does great, but it doesn't stand a chance against my Bulldog. And this new cordless SDS has even more power than that. 

Just something to consider. I go through a lot of tapcons, if I'm drilling more than 5 holes, the Bulldog is coming out. And I hate cords. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

All sounds good, as for the hammer drill in tool shootouts Dewalt wins every time in the hammer drilling department. Nobody that really does shootouts ever uses Festool so for comparisons sake you have nothing to go by. 

That said, if you think you're really going to use it that much, skip both and go for cordless SDS 60v that's coming out. The increase in impact energy going to SDS is nothing to underestimate. I love my hammerdrill (dcd995) and it does great, but it doesn't stand a chance against my Bulldog. And this new cordless SDS has even more power than that. 

Just something to consider. I go through a lot of tapcons, if I'm drilling more than 5 holes, the Bulldog is coming out. And I hate cords. 

I have given thought to the XR SDS Dewalt has but would probably keep it with the 20v. The tool seems to be at the top of the game and I could use the 60v batteries. I want to keep the number of batteries I have down to a limited number as they don't get used all that much. Also I forgot...I have the drywall gun in 20v. I absolutely love that guy!

2 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I have given thought to the XR SDS Dewalt has but would probably keep it with the 20v. The tool seems to be at the top of the game and I could use the 60v batteries. I want to keep the number of batteries I have down to a limited number as they don't get used all that much. Also I forgot...I have the drywall gun in 20v. I absolutely love that guy!

In that case get a Bulldog. Cheaper and a little more powerful than the 20v SDS. 

4 hours ago, overanalyze said:

Go sds for sure whether you do cordless or AC. Huge difference in performance between an sds and a regular hammer drill.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!

I've said it before, i'm pretty much done using hammer drill, love using the rotary hammer SDS Plus, it's an incredible difference, seriously, if you're on the fence about it, see if there is a way you can test drive an sds, first time I used one (Bulldog) i  got mad at the guy for not shoving it in my face from the get go LOL

On a side note, working in older CBS houses the block tends to explode from high impact energy making tapcons useless. For this, the Dewalt 995 comes out and tends to cause much less blowout making for a much higher success rate...so there is that. 

• Like 1