Reason 426-a why not to buy at HF

JimboS1ice

Yeah. They are a cheapo store for the most part. I will go in there every so often and get some of their .50 cent paint brushes  that I use and throw away. Don't bother cleaning them. I do have a vice that I got at a good price that has held up pretty well.  

we have the Canadian version of this store called ToolTown same stuff pretty much, low price comes with low quality.....I hardly go there regardless of any sales ect ect I have learnt long ago you are better off paying for better stuff....I don't want 3000 zip ties of only 3 work...... 

They have a few things that are good values but easily twice as many items that are more hassle than the savings are worth. I was thinking of buying some of those Japanese razors that Dan and Eric made a video about, the price is pretty reasonable and I've had good luck with Japanese tools.

I'm not gonna lie b4 I found TIA I was shopping there a lot then found that man I spent my hard Erned money on crap!!! But like some have said not everything is bad we have some floor jacks at the shop from there and there awesome even the aluminum ones they have are sweet my buddy also has a set of there impact sockets that he's been using for the past year and half that haven't failed him yet.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna lie b4 I found TIA I was shopping there a lot then found that man I spent my hard Erned money on crap!!! But like some have said not everything is bad we have some floor jacks at the shop from there and there awesome even the aluminum ones they have are sweet my buddy also has a set of there impact sockets that he's been using for the past year and half that haven't failed him yet.

I have a set of impact reducers and adapters that are pretty good, i have a few other odds and ends, generally i don't buy anything with a cutting edge, a power tool, or really anything that can wear down, which covers 80 per cent of the store, lol, but their sockets aren't all that bad.

I have a set of impact reducers and adapters that are pretty good, i have a few other odds and ends, generally i don't buy anything with a cutting edge, a power tool, or really anything that can wear down, which covers 80 per cent of the store, lol, but their sockets aren't all that bad.

When you say impact reducers do you mean these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-69870.html

I have been thinking about them but so far have resisted.

I've heard nothing but good from everything socket at HF, including their ratchets. The professional line is specifically commonly used with good results(I hear).

I have some of their pliers and they're great for the price. You can tell they're cheap because of the finishing but the teeth are fine, they close properly...the cutters on them suck but there are better tools to use than needle nose pliers to cut a wire. Their micro flush cutter is the only cutting item from HF I'd recommend, it's extremely sharp. It's even sharper than my replacement(after someone tried to cut what I assume was a small nail, UGH) that are made in Italy.

Their screwdrivers are also hard to beat for the price, they're cheap enough it doesn't matter if they get lost or damaged.

I've also heard their drill bits are pretty good but I only have experience with their left handed drill bits and I've only used those once.

I've had very good luck with their hand tools (Sockets, Ratchets, Gear Wrench) I've purchased some of their power tools as well. Just set your expectations accordingly. If it's something I'm not going to use that often, I don't see a reason too spend a ton of money on something that may just sit in the box for years on end.

Their screwdrivers are also hard to beat for the price, they're cheap enough it doesn't matter if they get lost or damaged.

I agree and disagree.  I bought a set of screwdrivers from them and while most of them have sort of held up ok, alot of the philips have been stripped from the screw heads haha.  Literally turned a screw and twisted the philips head like play dough.  I think the whole set of i think 10 drivers was maybe $8 tho so yeah its so cheap you dont really care if they get damaged. But at the same time, I still feel like I wasted money even if it wasnt much.

for me over years I have grown to want good quality tools, I figure if I am doing the job at hand I want something that is not going to give out at 12:30 AM and I want to finish. I went down that cheap road years ago and it is really not worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

I agree and disagree.  I bought a set of screwdrivers from them and while most of them have sort of held up ok, alot of the philips have been stripped from the screw heads haha.  Literally turned a screw and twisted the philips head like play dough.  I think the whole set of i think 10 drivers was maybe $8 tho so yeah its so cheap you dont really care if they get damaged. But at the same time, I still feel like I wasted money even if it wasnt much.

The tips are definitely softer than a good quality screwdriver but no questions asked lifetime warranty for such a cheap screwdriver is another bonus. My favorite part of having a set of these is I don't mind loaning them out, I don't look like an a-hole saying "no" and I don't care when they abuse it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a decent set of leather gloves there once. recently purchased a blowtorch to start my smoker with, it's been really good and only $19. Haven't had much luck beyond that.

I have a tool belt from them it's not bad I don't use it much I bought a husky that is much nicer

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the new Milwaukee tool belt with suspenders. I have had them for about a year and still havnt broke it in completely. I had a craftsman before and it was almost wore in two years. Milwaukee has made the best tool belt on the market right now.

4e85d9f155946726bc8fa2acf09d05a0.jpg

Sent from my LGAS995 using Tapatalk