Anyone know anything about these up and coming solar companies??

DamianD

I just had a door to door salesman talk to me about switching to solar energy.  The company is Vivint Solar.  As usual with any door to door I let him talk then told him to leave a card and Ill think about it, usually with no intent to ever get back to them.  But this is the second company in our area that has become sort of a 'thing'.  The second company I have noticed is Solar City.  Basically what they do is evaluate your home's roof to see if your capable to produce enough energy through their installed panels to cover the energy usage in your home and charge you a specific rate lower than the power company you use currently.  At first I thought this was a scam when Solar City came up, but now it seems to be getting more popular and I see a few houses in the neighborhood getting panels installed.  Do any of you have experience with these companies?  Im not a 'go green nerd' but if these companies are legit and can save me some money while going green too, I may be interested. Just not a fan of signing something I have no freaking clue about.

Thoughts??

have you ever heard of a pyramid scheme, were 1 guy gets a bunch of people to pay and the top guy gets most of the money........well this is no different, in order to get your money's worth you would have to have about 50 homes with panels on them and you get a pay off from each one but to be the guy that just adds it to your house you will most likely not see a return so ya I'd stay away......

you will never own the panels and neither will the next owner.  you're paying for the energy the panels produce. The only obvious upside is that you're using green energy, and the rate you get (usually a 20 year contract!) could be better or worse  usually worse than what you're getting from your current provider.

I just had a door to door salesman talk to me about switching to solar energy. The company is Vivint Solar. As usual with any door to door I let him talk then told him to leave a card and Ill think about it, usually with no intent to ever get back to them. But this is the second company in our area that has become sort of a 'thing'. The second company I have noticed is Solar City. Basically what they do is evaluate your home's roof to see if your capable to produce enough energy through their installed panels to cover the energy usage in your home and charge you a specific rate lower than the power company you use currently. At first I thought this was a scam when Solar City came up, but now it seems to be getting more popular and I see a few houses in the neighborhood getting panels installed. Do any of you have experience with these companies? Im not a 'go green nerd' but if these companies are legit and can save me some money while going green too, I may be interested. Just not a fan of signing something I have no freaking clue about.

Thoughts??

I heard that they are expensive and most people pay for them through a payment plan that's high interest rates. Just what I heard though. We are slow getting stuff like that here. And most of the time you don't own them. Its weird stuff. I've done some work for a guy that installed them. I wasn't very interested in what he was saying about it. I think he said they do like a rent all store. You rent them kinda I guess

Millerz