Cordless Miter Saw

Marcv76

If anyone is interested, I did some quick math between this saw and the Dewalt dcs361. When Concord Carpenter did the Dewalt review he was able to get 173 cuts out of one 4ah battery, which equals to 43.2 cuts per amp hour.  This Makita saw gets 42.2 cuts per amp hour (x10) because you burn 2 batteries down at the same time. So everything being equal they are virtually even, with the slight edge being given to the Dewalt, being able to cut 432 cuts on two 5ah batteries.

The Makita has a better cross cut capacity and slightly better dust collection, but the Dewalt seems to have better detent operation and the XPS lighting system. So in short I'm still confused on which saw is better. Its nice that there are 2 good cordless saws to picks from now. Soon we will see how Milwaukee responds and I heard that summertime will be the release of Dewalts 10" cordless miter saw.

Runtime isnt the only argument tho.    The Makita vastly outpowers and out -RPM's the Dewalt.  It's a sizeable difference in cross cut capacity. As the reviews have schown the dual rail system is rock on accurate. A brushless motor will also last longer and is maintenance free.

The dewalt seems to be made more as a 'cordless tool' .    Somewhat slower and less powerfull as a corded tool. 

While the Makita is more of a ' Corded power without the cord'.    Thats what the 36V and brushless motor does.

Basically.... stick with the platform you already have.  Like that is always true really :)

• Like 1

Runtime isnt the only argument tho.    The Makita vastly outpowers and out -RPM's the Dewalt.  It's a sizeable difference in cross cut capacity. As the reviews have schown the dual rail system is rock on accurate. A brushless motor will also last longer and is maintenance free.

The dewalt seems to be made more as a 'cordless tool' .    Somewhat slower and less powerfull as a corded tool. 

While the Makita is more of a ' Corded power without the cord'.    Thats what the 36V and brushless motor does.

Basically.... stick with the platform you already have.  Like that is always true really :)

I'll be holding my judgement for the tool fight. While I agree it should (and better be) more powerful with a BL motor, it's all marketing and hearsay until they go head to head. 

• Like 1

Yes I agree, having and expanding your tool platform is the most economical way to go. But if your like me, and I know most of you are, and have multiple tool brands, this makes it so hard to choose a tool based on looks, you need to use it or have someone review it. That is why we joined this forum. Now for you to make that investment.

The Makita Model # XSL01Z, retails at Home Depot for $561.63 bare tool.

Dewalt Model # DCS361M1 is $399.00, 1- 4.0 20v battery and charger.

And let us not forget the Metabo one Model #: KGS18 LTX 216 6.2AH $549.00 6.2 battery and charger included.

So hard, so hard!!!

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don, I was pressing a dewalt rep and they told me that dewalt has designed a 2 battery miter saw that will power a 10 and or 12" sliding and non sliding saw. The batteries will be a little bigger than the current 20v and will supply the saw with 60v x2 for total of 120v. He said that these same batteries will also work in the current 20v tools because the prongs and electronics will tell them how many Volts to discharge. He said they will be tested in the field by selected people and if all goes well we will see them around summer time. That being said I have no way of verifying this and 6 months in tool company time can mean a year or more in real time.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, having and expanding your tool platform is the most economical way to go. But if your like me, and I know most of you are, and have multiple tool brands, this makes it so hard to choose a tool based on looks, you need to use it or have someone review it. That is why we joined this forum. Now for you to make that investment.

And let us not forget the Metabo one Model #: KGS18 LTX 216 6.2AH $549.00 6.2 battery and charger included.

So hard, so hard!!!

Proved my point I was trying to make just didn't have all be numbers lol.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So hard, so hard!!!

Yeah the Metabo looks nice like all their tools. It's a bigger blade size too right 8" right? Lots of nice cordless miters out there now...

• Like 1

Don, I was pressing a dewalt rep and they told me that dewalt has designed a 2 battery miter saw that will power a 10 and or 12" sliding and non sliding saw. The batteries will be a little bigger than the current 20v and will supply the saw with 60v x2 for total of 120v. He said that these same batteries will also work in the current 20v tools because the prongs and electronics will tell them how many Volts to discharge. He said they will be tested in the field by selected people and if all goes well we will see them around summer time. That being said I have no way of verifying this and 6 months in tool company time can mean a year or more in real time.

Wow that'd be cool if true. It would make sense they'd really take the cordless miter market seriously considering they practically own the wired market. Still though that's an awful lot of info from a rep about unreleased product. Seems like they'd go big on announcing stuff so important to them...

Made this overview if anyone is interested. Correct me on any mistakes !!

cordlessmitres.png

Kornomaniac, great chart. I saw on a vlog (who will go nameless) that he got 247 2/4 cuts on a 6.2 battery also. That comes out to close to 40 cuts per amp hour. Also just double checking! Are you saying, The Makita comes with 2-5.0 batteries and a dual fast charger as a kit? I just see bare a tool out there. Thanks for that post. More information, the better informed.

I'll be the first to bite my lip if wrong, but I doubt this pretty much 100%. 

Just passing on what was told to me. and I heard similar stuff on two different occasions from two different sources. I guess we will find out in the next year. At the rate Millwaukee is moving I'm pretty confident we will se a cordless dewalt 10" first.

Remember guys, that higher Amp-hour batteries have a bit higher internal resistance (if we are to belive battery manufacturers and other posts in this forum), which would means they in theory would loose a tad more juice, thats converted into more heat in the battery. So if you are doing a tools comparison, it is recommended to use the same sized batteries, and not converting into cuts per ah-hour, since it will favorise  the lower 3ah and 4ah batteries (to a small extent). 

Not a huge deal, but if we are to use the comb, we got to take this factor into consideration. :)

• Like 1

Remember guys, that higher Amp-hour batteries have a bit higher internal resistance (if we are to belive battery manufacturers and other posts in this forum), which would means they in theory would loose a tad more juice, thats converted into more heat in the battery. So if you are doing a tools comparison, it is recommended to use the same sized batteries, and not converting into cuts per ah-hour, since it will favorise  the lower 3ah and 4ah batteries (to a small extent). 

Not a huge deal, but if we are to use the comb, we got to take this factor into consideration. :)

While that's the general trend, battery technology is advancing fast enough that I believe newer 2.5Ah and 3Ah cells actually have higher discharge rates than the older 1.5Ah and some older 2Ah cells.  It's all complicated enough you can really only know things by reading the cell datasheet.

• Like 1

Kornomaniac, great chart. I saw on a vlog (who will go nameless) that he got 247 2/4 cuts on a 6.2 battery also. That comes out to close to 40 cuts per amp hour. Also just double checking! Are you saying, The Makita comes with 2-5.0 batteries and a dual fast charger as a kit? I just see bare a tool out there. Thanks for that post. More information, the better informed.

Ah ! No that is what the reviewers on AConcordCarpenter and He-who-shall-not-be-named  used in their test. So thats what i based my chart on :) 

In belgium it's gonna come out as a kit with 5.0 amps and a dual charger tho :D