Dewalt 20v 10 Inch miter saw

npcnj8

I watched Dan's video on the 7 1/4 miter saw when he was in Charlotte at the Dewalt event and the product manager Jeff said no comment when Dan asked him if a 10 inch 20v saw was coming! Do you guys think there is any truth to this?

I think it's only a matter of time before one of the big brands comes out with a 10" cordless miter. My money was on either Milwaukee or Bosch. Think Makita missed the mark with the 2-18v lxt 71/4 saw, but don't count them out. I would love to see Dewalt have a 20v 10" miter. But I think they go 40v. My two cents.

I think it's only a matter of time before one of the big brands comes out with a 10" cordless miter. My money was on either Milwaukee or Bosch. Think Makita missed the mark with the 2-18v lxt 71/4 saw, but don't count them out. I would love to see Dewalt have a 20v 10" miter. But I think they go 40v. My two cents.

Agreed!

I know I would love to see it. I almost bought the Dewalt 7-1/4 but I would like to get that extra capacity of a 10" blade. Honestly I will probably buy which ever brand comes out with it first. I'm thinking it might be Milwaukee, I think 2016 could be interesting with them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think most of the brands want people to think its just over the horizon to encourage brand loyalty. After all the future of a battery platform means as much if not more than its current status. Milwaukee was proud of their 3/4 inch jump in blade size to a 7 1/4 circ saw and now we want a 2 3/4 inch jump in blade size?  Sure a miter requires a bit less power but I think a 10 inch cordless is farther off than people think and one with decent power is even farther. Hopefully someone proves me wrong though. I want one as much as anyone else.

To me the success or failure is in engineering the motor to be behind the blade, which means gearing and a belt. The reason being is having a 10in blade without double bevel is rather worthless, and the current design with the direct to motor housing isn't going to cut it. It's kind of like having 3 arms and 1 leg. 

Unfortunately gears and belts cause parasitic loss which means less power or RPM, compensated by larger motor and more weight and reduced battery life.

That's a lot to overcome in a cordless platform. 

20 years ago we could only dream of the cordless tools we have at our finger tips today.....as it is they will overcome obstacles they always do eventually......

I would have never dreamed there would be battery powered lawn mowers that could actually do a good job cutting grass and not run out of juice in thirty seconds. It's just a matter of time before there is a 10" cordless miter saw.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the High Capacity 9.0ah battery from Milwaukee is what will make a 10 inch sliding miter a possibility.

Total amp Capacity isn't really what we need.  We need a battery that can provide a higher total current without overheating or building up internal resistance because of too high current draw.

Milwaukee's 9.0 Amp battery has 3 rows of cells to provide current so it's a good step up from our normal 4 / 5 / 6 amp packs ( which can only provide current from 2 rows of cells ).

Makita's dual 18V system ramps it up easily by providing 4 Rows of cells to draw current from.

• Like 1

Total amp Capacity isn't really what we need.  We need a battery that can provide a higher total current without overheating or building up internal resistance because of too high current draw.

Milwaukee's 9.0 Amp battery has 3 rows of cells to provide current so it's a good step up from our normal 4 / 5 / 6 amp packs ( which can only provide current from 2 rows of cells ).

Makita's dual 18V system ramps it up easily by providing 4 Rows of cells to draw current from.

i always wondered if Dewalts 40v packs would make its way over from OPE... This would be a great task for one

• Like 1

My first cordless miter saw was a ryobi. It was so underpowered, I swore I would never buy another one. But now as more and more tools become cordless, we r getting far more superior tools. Hell I had a ryobi cordless chainsaw and felt the same way, but now I would like to get my hands on dewalts chainsaw.

My first cordless miter saw was a ryobi. It was so underpowered, I swore I would never buy another one. But now as more and more tools become cordless, we r getting far more superior tools. Hell I had a ryobi cordless chainsaw and felt the same way, but now I would like to get my hands on dewalts chainsaw.

All true but then again Milwaukee could go 2xbattery on a miter and even allow 2x9Ah giving 6 rows of cells. There is nothing stopping them from doing it but might be bulky, then again a miter is probably the most sensical of tools to double up on batteries because of its static nature...

• Like 1