Laguna 1412 Bandsaw

WigWagWorkshop

Good Day Crew!

Anyone have experience with the Laguna 1412 Bandsaw? I am looking into getting a new bandsaw, and I am leaning tward this one http://www.rockler.com/laguna-1412-14-bandsaw

I am also looking at one from Grizzly, http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

Thank You in Advance,

Steven

• Like 1

Don't know much about the Luguna, but it looks really cool. The grizzly is pretty good quality. A lot of guys I know swear by them. Only thing I have of grizzly in a 6" jointer. And I love it. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I too need to upgrade my band saw. If I had the money, it be the grizzly, or delta, or powermatic. But so expensive.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with some on this one. Laguna arguably makes the best band saws on the planet. Woodcraft has a 14" model that routinely goes on sale for around $950ish? Phenomenal saw. I went with the Rikon 10-325 as its an awesome saw but the real game changer was the price. Both were on sale when I bought the Rikon but I spent about $300 less with the sale. Very very very happy with my Rikon bandsaw and my Lathe but knowing I was saving for a Sawstop the difference in money was what swayed me. I will say Laguna is known for being a premier bandsaw (actually table saws too) manufacturer out of Italy.

Laguna makes great awesome saws,ive used them in the past. Only ones ive used that were near as good was a Delta.  Rikon like ChrisK said is good too.  If you have the dough to spend get the Laguna,you'll never need another saw.

Im not that familiar with Grizzly other than what ive read of all the mixed reviews,for the most part they seem good.

Awesome guys, thank you for the replies.  I do have a Grizzly table saw, and I am completely happy with it, also they do have great customer service.  However, the Laguna is on sale, and with low shipping price and the fact that it's tax free, I am thinking it would be the better option.

Well, I have narrowed it down to the Grizzly G0457 vs the Laguna 1412 with the slight edge to the Laguna.  I do have a couple of Grizzly tools, and I have been pretty happy, with the exception of my table saw being recalled 2 weeks after I ordered it which leaves me to believe the knew about the issue when the sold it to me. The issue is with one of the pulleys, the bore was to big for the shaft. They sent out the repayment part, but it took over 4 hours to fix. 

Well, I have narrowed it down to the Grizzly G0457 vs the Laguna 1412 with the slight edge to the Laguna.  I do have a couple of Grizzly tools, and I have been pretty happy, with the exception of my table saw being recalled 2 weeks after I ordered it which leaves me to believe the knew about the issue when the sold it to me. The issue is with one of the pulleys, the bore was to big for the shaft. They sent out the repayment part, but it took over 4 hours to fix.

wigwag, I know I might have sounded like I was in the grizzly corner in my response, not really. After going back and forth on the specs. I'm really starting to like the Laguna a lot. You lose a 1/4" on blade max width, but I have seen people do mods to accommodate a larger width blade. And this is only a concern if you plan Doing a lot of resawing. In my case I would. It's a tough choice. Some people say go used and get a big old saw. I don't know if I could make that choice spending that kind of money on possible someone else's trouble. Hard for me to write this with the game on. Sorry.....I apologize for any mistakes. Hehe. I do wish you the best, and I wish I was in a similar situation. I would love a good band saw.

wigwag, I know I might have sounded like I was in the grizzly corner in my response, not really. After going back and forth on the specs. I'm really starting to like the Laguna a lot. You lose a 1/4" on blade max width, but I have seen people do mods to accommodate a larger width blade. And this is only a concern if you plan Doing a lot of resawing. In my case I would. It's a tough choice. Some people say go used and get a big old saw. I don't know if I could make that choice spending that kind of money on possible someone else's trouble. Hard for me to write this with the game on. Sorry.....I apologize for any mistakes. Hehe. I do wish you the best, and I wish I was in a similar situation. I would love a good band saw.

No No, you provided awesome advice, I do like Grizzly products, I own a few of them, and their customer service is 2nd to none, you actually get a real on-shore person with strong knowledge of the products. I do plan on doing a lot of resawing, in fact that is a big reason for wanting to get something bigger then a bench top model. 

Yes as I found out the hard way, killed my bench top bandsaw trying to resaw red oak for a large project. Wound up using the table saw. Jointer, thickness planner. I gave up and just bought what I needed, just not as much fun lol.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see what you end up with Wigwag. I listen to wood talk via iPod and Marc was saying that Laguna's customer service is atrocious. I want to counter that by saying it was 2007 episode (I just started listening to them and have started at episode 1, I'm at 44 now) anyways Laguna, regardless is a top of the line saw regardless of CS!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day Crew!

Anyone have experience with the Laguna 1412 Bandsaw? I am looking into getting a new bandsaw, and I am leaning tward this one http://www.rockler.com/laguna-1412-14-bandsaw

I am also looking at one from Grizzly, http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

Thank You in Advance,

Steven

Hello Steven,

Sorry I am too late to comment on this.  I have a Grizzly 14" xtreme model and I love it.  If I were to ever get a bigger bandsaw, it would be the 17" Grizzly and if they had an xtreme model, I would pay up for it.

Let us know how you like your Laguna.

Thanks,

John