4cyl. or V6 Truck

taylorv1

I am a intermediate woodworker. I looking to get my first truck. I have borrowed my neighbors truck in the past, but realize I need to get a truck. I mostly build furniture and basic cabinetry. I am trying to debate weather I should get a 4 cylinder or V6 truck. I want a access cab, and 4x2. I am looking at tacoma's, around 2009. Please help me decide.. Is a V6 necessary? Gas mileage is somewhat of a concern.

How about an inline 5 instead? Just throwing that out there instead of a truck, a diesel sprinter? You'll get better fuel economy with '04-'06 sprinter than a gas truck, as I've experienced.

However, since you asked, in my opinion a 4 cylinder in your situation would work best

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You say you are looking at a Tacoma, if that is the case, I would say the 6cly. Over the 4. 159 vs 236 hp, 180 fpt vs 236. Gas mpg 20-26 vs 14-19 mpg. The truck is I think a little heavy for the 4cyl. I would go,with the 6cyl. But you will give up mpg. You will only notice if you drove 200-300 miles a day. If it's less then 100, then you will not save that much by going with the 4cyl. What can you afford is the bottom line. The 6 is going to cost you more to buy.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ya I think 4cyl with heavy truck is kinda defeating the purpose as it is gonna work harder to move it where as the 6cyl won't I was always a over power is better than not enough power. as for gas mileage it also has a lot to do with how you drive, if you get accustom to the 4cyl you might start putting your foot in it more often to find the power it is lacking and there goes your mileage and more wear and tare on the truck so my opinion is go with the 6cyl.

Honestly if your in bussniess go with at least a f150 or comproable. Maybe even look at a cargo van. I would go bigger then that even.

The ability to haul materials an tools is a must if you want to be serious in bussniess. I don't see the ability to haul fruniture/cabinets in a Tacoma an still have room to grow.

Your going to pay big dollars for a Taco. The used market on them is insane I know they are known for reliability but the prices on them have gotten insane for what they are. I would seriously consider a basic full sized from any of the big3 over a compact pickup.

I've got a Toyota Taylor and love it. I'm actually a Mopar guy but my truck is the bees knees. The Tacoma is a small truck b put very capable. If your looking for a basic truck with the ability to haul projects and wood around in the bed and don't need to tow I'm sure the 4cyl would be fine but, a 6 is going to give you more power and less strain on the motor if your driving up large hills and such and when you look over the full MPG thing, if your a local driver it real doesn't add up to much, kind of like getting more expensive gas on your side of town as opposed to saving 10-20 cents on the other....seriously, if your truck takes 20 gallons to fill, you may have saved a couple of bucks but you have to drive all the way to the other side of rain and back! If you are going to the mill to get some 8/4 or 6/4 oak or maple having the extra two cylinders means less work on the engine. Plus if you ever decided to get a single trailer to haul to the dump etc. you've got some extra power. I would recommend thinking about what you want to do with your truck. Sounds like this'll be a second vehicle? If so figure that into the equation too. I will say, back in 2008ish I test drove an extended cab Tacoma, 2 wheel drive 6cyl. It was really small but really nimble. My Tundra....well that eats Tacomas and spits out Prius'. I get 15MPG consistently whether I'm loaded with lumber or my CanAm 2Up Outlander Max XT. Having a larger motor gives you more options. Going with the 6cyl would too!

I know this doesnt really answer your original question, but Im a huge believer in a full size trucks.  I have myself an 06 f150, which you can pick up a lesser model for around your price range and they are known to last 200-300k easily also..  The full size truck is just so much more capable than any mid size.  And if you do end up going with the 6cyl mid size, the difference in fuel mileage in a full size with a v8 is slim.  Somebody mentioned the taco with a 6 gets 14-19?  The 5.4 f150 I average 15 city and can see 20 highway.  With that said, I really dont see the point in mid sized trucks unless you live or work in an area where parking is very tight, like a city environment.  

BUT if you insist on the taco, MY .02 would be go with the 6cyl. Not only will you have more power but Id imagine youll get other luxuries like bigger brakes, maybe a trans cooler if they are even offered in the toyota. If your business gets bigger than your truck can handle, that motor will give you the option to tow a trailer.  I wouldnt trust towing anything with a 4 banger.

Im in Atlanta and I just bought a 07 Tacoma Access Cab V6 4x2 in Sept. I got a good deal at $14000 w/ tax. I get 15mpg in the city and 20mpg at 70mph, I towed the girlfriends 2000 Corolla back from Durham NC and going 60mph I was getting about 13mpg. I wouldn't want to tow cars with it much and defiantly not up big hills but it pulled through like a champ. That is with the tow package to be clear.

For Tacoma's I understand they added another leaf to the rear suspension in 09.

Best of luck.

post-54336-0-43661200-1453854136_thumb.j