Tool Rants (What is Wrong with todays tools?)

PutnamEco

All this talk of angle grinders reminds me that I have a problem with this new generation of angle grinders. What is with these accessory handles being at an odd angle (not 90 degrees) to the tools body. Obviously the designers have never had to grind close to a corner which is near about impossible with this new angle. Both my new Bosch and Makita have this "feature". I'm glad I still have my normal old grinders. I won't be buying any more of these new grinders as they just don't work for me.. Luckily a lot of the older grinders seem to last quite a long time. I've been caught out a couple times and have had to resort to using these tools bare, without any handles, and this does not strike me as being particularly safe, as I don't feel I have the same control over the tools without the added leverage of the side handle.

So, what is it that drives you nuts about todays tools?

I haven't been in the market for a grinder so I can't attest to the funny angle of the handles. I really didn't like the fad with putting lasers on cutting tools. I guess they had their use, I just didn't care for them personally. I suppose my biggest complaint is that the all say MADE IN CHINA! I really like the move toward tool-less blade, bit, and accessory changes though.

Touching on something you said in an earlier post, I don't like the multi purpose tools, none of them! I prefer to have a dedicated tool for each task. This isn't a big issue and seems to be more common in homeowner grade tools, but I hate it none the less. Maybe I'm strange, I just don't care for it. There are many new tool trends I do like though. I like the longer cords that my newer tools have. LED lights are nice though they really aren't needed on some tools. The ratcheting feature combined with the carbide teeth on most pro grade keyless chucks has made keyed chucks damn near obsolete. The run time offered by today's batteries was unthinkable a few years ago, though that more innovation and really not a trend. The bare tool option has made it much more feasible for a DIY'er/hobbiest/mentally addicted junky like myself to own a broad range of pro grade stuff where as before it was just not economically possible, but again, that's really not a trend in the context of which you speak. I'm not always crazy about rubber overmold though. Some tools it's nice, other it's somewhat un-nessecary. It looks nice, but if your're like me and clean your tools after every job, it's the stuff compulsive disorders are made of.

I haven't been in the market for a grinder so I can't attest to the funny angle of the handles. I really didn't like the fad with putting lasers on cutting tools. I guess they had their use, I just didn't care for them personally. I suppose my biggest complaint is that the all say MADE IN CHINA! I really like the move toward tool-less blade, bit, and accessory changes though.

Laser on drills was one of my favorites, what were they thinking?

Re:China

I don't really mind China making tools, What I do mind is them trying to imply that our once iconic American brands are still the same once they get a hold of them. Why don't they build their own brands instead of trying to ride on the reputations of once great American tool brands.

There are many new tool trends I do like though. I like the longer cords that my newer tools have

Not all of them, I just had a chance to use Boschs new tablesaw the 4100, my older 4000 model has a much longer cord. I will say they have improved the saw in a number of ways besides the shorter cord though.

The bare tool option has made it much more feasible for a DIY'er/hobbiest/mentally addicted junky like myself to own a broad range of pro grade stuff where as before it was just not economically possible, but again, that's really not a trend in the context of which you speak.

I have noticed a steadily declining quality of most "pro" grade tools over the years, at one time it was not unusual to expect to get 10 or more years of daily work out of your tools, now it would seem they are all disposable after a couple years. They keep the price of the parts up so it is not really worth it to repair them. What bothers me about this, is there are hardly any tool manufacturers who actually make a tool that is meant to be anything more than just another consumable. While we have brands like Hilti, and Festool, they are 10% - 20% better but they are 50% more expensive. Granted they do support their tools better which is hard to put a price on. I wouldn't mind paying 100% more if I was getting a carbon fiber and titanium tool that was durable enough to last ten years and had ease of repair as a design criteria.

They definitely don't build em like they used to. The same is true with pretty much everything though. When I moved to the new house I gave away the old Gibson freezer I had from the mid 60's. The door seal was bad but other than that it still ran like a Swiss watch. Now days you feel good with getting 10 years out of any appliance.