Makita DHR242 repair ?

ash

Hi, First post. I salvaged two drills that contractors discarded in the waste pile of a job hired for (must have been loads of profit or  knackered drills :).

1st drill corded Makita HR2470. Did not work so I opened it up and it appeared serviceable and I saw the brushes were floating. I reseated the brushes and the drill now spins up. Not sure what to test now but it maybe useful as maybe a mixer.

2nd drill is a Matika DHR242. Rotary hammer drill. This one looks more difficult to fix. Firstly it's battery powered but I may have a bench supply but not sure how much current it will want to test it.  I opened up the drill and with the brushless motor there wasn't much to service - some electronic gubbins.

I think the gearbox maybe kapput. Even following the guidance on rotating chuck and changing the 3 switch (rotation, hammer, etc) it will not go on rotation and jams.

Are these brushless based tools serviceable or straight to the skip?

• Like 1

Hi, First post. I salvaged two drills that contractors discarded in the waste pile of a job hired for (must have been loads of profit or knackered drills :).

1st drill corded Makita HR2470. Did not work so I opened it up and it appeared serviceable and I saw the brushes were floating. I reseated the brushes and the drill now spins up. Not sure what to test now but it maybe useful as maybe a mixer.

2nd drill is a Matika DHR242. Rotary hammer drill. This one looks more difficult to fix. Firstly it's battery powered but I may have a bench supply but not sure how much current it will want to test it. I opened up the drill and with the brushless motor there wasn't much to service - some electronic gubbins.

I think the gearbox maybe kapput. Even following the guidance on rotating chuck and changing the 3 switch (rotation, hammer, etc) it will not go on rotation and jams.

Are these brushless based tools serviceable or straight to the skip?

Hi new guy!

Your right in your approach to these drills. More then likely both of them are in need of brushes. I have owned Makita my whole life and I can truthfully say the only thing I ever had go south on them was the brushes. They are simple to get and simple to replace, and are fairly cheap. Now with that being said, the hammer drill may have other issues if it was not maintained. Most contractors don't. They treat them as throw aways. With the hammer drill you can try cleaning it out and relubercating it along with new brushes. In both cases you will have very little money involved and just a little of your time. First thing you need to do is find the manuals for them. A good source of knowledge for you to start with. Check out the forum, there is a link to a site that has just about every manual out there. Good luck.

plus it might be in your best interest to find out how old there are the brushless model just might still be under warranty...not sure how Makita handles warranty and receipts but they very well might go by date of tool not sales date.

btw welcome to the forum....

Hey there, I'd be interested to know what you found out about the brushless rotary hammer for sure. Definitely see if you can get a parts list/diagram. They used to come with all my dad's power tools when I was growing up, but I dont think many still do.

Also interesting slang, is that Australian?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I attached spare parts view for both models

HR2470 if brushes was flowing it can be not only that problem because contact with carbon brushes housing and is located in motor housing. Check wires in switch because some times for this model is problem with wire and switch contact. Also you can check gear housing if you not afraid :) You need to check parts 23; 25; 90; if they are worn out hammer will not hold power when drilling. And in motor housing you need to check field contact. To do that you need to remove field by unscrewing screws Number 67 and taking out field. 

BHR242 accepts 18V DC current. You can check if switch is working because with this model is not much problems. This model have big problem with parts 32; 56; if you need to change them (normally they broke apart) please look for changed part number because it`s new parts for this tim of gear from Makita. Old gears not working properly for long time.

If you need spare parts code write me PM and I will send them to you in PDF

• Like 1

Cheers. I have managed to source what appear to be the service manuals (titled Technical Information).

I used the 2470 at the weekend with a sds chuck convertor and a mixing paddle to mix up a batch of plaster. I had to keep switching the drill from reverse to forward to get it started again. Eventually drill gave up but one time it went full on :) so I'll open it up again at some point. Still though I'll look to the contacts and cables because maybe it's the movement causing the intermittent fault.

• 2 months later...

I re-seated the 2470 brushes, and re-seated the power cord, and that seems to have resolved the intermittent working. We'll see if it holds. I'll check out the holder.

I don't have a SDS bit yet so I'm using a chuck converter in rotary mode. Getting alot of chuck wobble but assume that's the cheapie converter. The guidance says not to use the converter in hammer which I imagine it would shatter the chuck throwing shrapnel everywhere!

Just need to fix the cordless dhr242 

• Like 1