Aftermarket Insoles

PutnamEco

The thread on good footwear has gotten me thinking about one of the things that I use to make my feet a lot happier, after market insoles. They can really make a big difference in how tired your feet feel at the end of the day and can extend the life of your shoes, should your stock insole wear out. My current favorites are Spencos Earthbound Although it would seem that a lot of people prefer gel innersoles, I find that gels are really soft and don't really help my feet that as much as these firmer innersoles do.

So, how many of you all use aftermarket innersoles and which ones do you prefer?

I bought some of the run of the mill Dr. Shoals once. They didn't last a real long time but the did make the boots more comfortable. I had to do something to help me suffer through the Chinese Redwings I got that time. Damn things might as well been made of concrete.

You all ought to try some decent ones, the Spencos I posted earlier last ages, I might only go through 2 for the life of a boot if that many. They last as long as my shorter lived boots. Even the stock ones that come in boots tend not to last as long.

• 5 years later...

I work in a restaurant and run around all day. Orthofeet shoes are extremely comfy and help with my lower back pain. Only down side is that I feel like my feet look like "duck feet". I am using those shoes for about three years and i loved them. My feet’s are very happy with those.

I've been using https://www.protalus.com for about 6 months now. My current work shoes are https://www.zappos.com/p/reebok-work-heckler-nano-black/product/8521295/color/3  I find them comfortable but i've worn the front of the toes out down to the composite safety toe pretty quick from kneeling. 

IMO the biggest issue with wearing work boots and stiff shoes is weak feet.  Why do they say you need good supportive shoes? Does that mean we were not meant to walk barefoot?  

On 3/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, AnonymousJoe said:

Superfeet. I actually don’t like insoles that are too soft and cushy

SF are great, I've used them in hockey skates, that's the first time I really bought aftermarket insoles. You can also remove the plastic heel lift if the arch support is too much for you.

Much like hockey skates, soft isn't always beneficial. Stiff but perfectly supportive is much more comfortable. Constant flexing your feet is strenuous on your feet muscles, which causes them to swell and causes pain. Two ways to get around it, build the muscle in your feet by using flexible shoes in workouts or something stiff that puts the strain on your stronger cal muscles.

The other cause of pain is compression. Too skinny of a shoe, too large or misplaced arch support, or a shoe that lacks proper depth (If your tongue budges out from the cut of the boot, laces should be straight across).

I like Sof Soles.

They are quite ridgid and have excellent arch support. I only wear composite/metal free workboots and as an electrician I walk and climb A LOT!

I don't like super soft insoles, they do more damage than good. The Sol have gel absorbing blah blah blah like most, but what I like is that they do the fall apart. They are the best made for the $$$ imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk