Irwin Bolt Out Video

JimboS1ice

• 2 months later...

I was debating on buy this set at advance auto today. I was helping my uncle replace a stuck thermostat but he managed to strip a bolt before I got there. Ended up taking the whole thermostat manifold off to remove the stripped blot off using a snap-on flank drive wrench but I think this Irwin kit would have been easier to use. Plus I could have used the M12 ratchet. 

• Like 3

I was debating on buy this set at advance auto today. I was helping my uncle replace a stuck thermostat but he managed to strip a bolt before I got there. Ended up taking the whole thermostat manifold off to remove the stripped blot off using a snap-on flank drive wrench but I think this Irwin kit would have been easier to use. Plus I could have used the M12 ratchet. 

You can usual get the set and expansion set fairly cheap on Amazon and it's great to have, you may not use it a lot but it's invaluable when you need it.

I've used the Irwins on impacts, if you do it right you won't hurt them. I have a few sets at home, also the Irwin 1/4" shank ones and the spline ones. I use them quit a bit, at home and at work. We have a ton of the Irwin bolt-out sets in the shop. Customers return them thinking they suck, but the truth is that they typically use the wrong size for the bolt and it slips. When they come into the returns dept I snag them and toss them in the shop.

I also have a set of Grab-Its, those "seen-on-tv" extractors, and they work great.

4 minutes ago, Kato said:

I've used the Irwins on impacts, if you do it right you won't hurt them. I have a few sets at home, also the Irwin 1/4" shank ones and the spline ones. I use them quit a bit, at home and at work. We have a ton of the Irwin bolt-out sets in the shop. Customers return them thinking they suck, but the truth is that they typically use the wrong size for the bolt and it slips. When they come into the returns dept I snag them and toss them in the shop.

I also have a set of Grab-Its, those "seen-on-tv" extractors, and they work great.

I had speed outs that didn't work our so well, never had good luck, the irwins with the shank are nice too I've seen those.

Like I said, we get these returned far too often, and most of the time it's because they didn't know how to use it. With any of the Irwin extractors you have to use the right one for the application. I've been using them all for a long time and haven't had any issues with any of them.