Craftsman Nextec 12v jigsaw

ooooooooooooooooooooooooogh what an awful woeful hateful little thing!!!!!

I had one turn up in a kit and it is honestly currently the worst power tool I have ever had the misfortune to lay a hand on.

Waiting for this thing to cut was like watching a rock face erode in the wind.

The first cut the blade stayed in the wood and pulled out of the damn thing and when I finally found a blade that would stay in it, there was more power in a butterflies wing beat. LOL An absolute joke of a tool.

:angry:

Craftsman may make some very good tools but this is not one of them.

:(

To balance this out, the auto hammer from the same kit which knocks in nails has been a very handy tool I use it for nail on clips on pipes and wiring and it gets in places where you could never swing a hammer.the torch is a belter and the small drill is great for small pilot holes.

:)

My advice folks is if you buy the kit leave the jigsaw on the counter and maybe the manufacturer will take the hint and bin this horrible little toy and make something that is more useful, and much better built.

:rolleyes:

Craftsman doesn't really make any tools, they rebrands other manufacturers tools as Craftsman. The Nextec line reminds me of another home owner orientated line that has since went down the tubes, the Black & Decker VPX line. I can’t really see taking these tools seriously for anything other than extreme light duty tasks.

Re:

To balance this out, the auto hammer from the same kit which knocks in nails has been a very handy tool I use it for nail on clips on pipes and wiring and it gets in places where you could never swing a hammer.

I use a Grip-Rite mini palm nailer for close quarters nailing, and find this tool absolutely amazing. At first I thought it was some kind of gimmicky little goofball tool, but after the first couple of times I used it, my mind quickly changed. It has held up remarkably well, the only maintenance, beside keeping it oiled, has been tightening a body screw that vibrated loose. For the price they charge for this tool, there is no reason not to have one in your arsenal.

My buddy bought a 19.2V Craftsman drill a couple years back. It had a very B&D feel to it. It creaked and popped when you used it and wouldn't hold a spade bit to save it's life. I was much less than impressed. I never understood homeowner grade tools. Why buy something designed to be inferior? I'd rather save up a few extra bucks and get a pro quality tool, but I guess they sell $50 drills every day.

Air power tools are rare outside a mechanics garage over here Pal.

Battery is king over here on power tools and corded if we have to.

It is the rare jobsite here in the U.S. that does not use air. Cordless nailers are painfully slow and unreliable in comparison to pneumatic, not to mention the expense of fuel for the cordless. It is only in repair, small punch list or finish type jobs that cordless is common(outside of drills+impacts), most new construction is done with corded tools.

Historically air tools have never taken off in a massive way over here,that and our health and safety people would have kittens with all the hoses and compressors for them to worry about.( It is mad the lengths we have to go to to try and eliminate risk in the workplace).

Its bad enough trying to use our trade 110v tools on site because the supply they lay on is never big enough, running cables to where you are working is a nightmare, someone is always unplugging you somewhere along the way so they can plug in, and the lights dim when I use one of my big boys toys. LOL. :)

LOL classic. :D

You guys must admit the safety guys and girls have gone a bit too far.

If you saw the questions for our safety cards to go on site I guarantee you would laugh your sides sore.Some of the questions are so stupidly easy they insult anyone with the remotest trace of intelligence.

You guys must admit the safety guys and girls have gone a bit too far.

If you saw the questions for our safety cards to go on site I guarantee you would laugh your sides sore.Some of the questions are so stupidly easy they insult anyone with the remotest trace of intelligence.

Safety card questions to go on site??? Is that law, or is that management covering their butts. We are required to have somethings posted at job sites (mostly labor laws and MSDS for any hazardous chemicals), but never have to submit to a quiz as a prerequisite to entering a site.

With some of the stuff I have seen on jobsites an intelligence test might have been more appropriate. But you know what they say, "make things idiot proof, and they'll send a bigger idiot"

It gets worse Pal not only do we have to do an exam on safety every 5 years and get charged a fee then apply and get the card for which you pay a fee , and do one on site the day you start.But as a plumber and Heating engineer we have to sit the same exams every 5 years and each part of the job is an element and each element has a fee you have to pay.It costs thousands of pounds.Then get Gas Safe registration for which there is a fee.And it is illegal to do any work without all of the above.

It gets worse Pal not only do we have to do an exam on safety every 5 years and get charged a fee then apply and get the card for which you pay a fee , and do one on site the day you start.But as a plumber and Heating engineer we have to sit the same exams every 5 years and each part of the job is an element and each element has a fee you have to pay.It costs thousands of pounds.Then get Gas Safe registration for which there is a fee.And it is illegal to do any work without all of the above.

Well, at least the bureaucrats have job security.... :angry:

Sounds similar to the LEED program here in the states. Certain jobs you can't get on without a current LEED card.

LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) builds are not mandated by law, they are green building certification program.

We do have contractors licenses here in the states, plumbing being its own category, these requirements are managed by each individual state. Some states do require certifications to do certain types of work as well. We do have some national standards that are upheld. One of our equivalents would be all the recent RRP laws they have put in place. There are very few places left where you can escape this kind of bureaucracy especial in the first world countries. Luckily I don't think we have it as bad as Wayne does in his country. Some states contractors license tests are merely to insure that you know you have to pay taxes and buy workers comp. insurance and obey building codes.

I don't know much about it other than I had to sit through 2 days of hibernation inducing, safety oriented, bullshit before the power company would let me work on their boiler chambers. Now I have overly obsessive safety shoved up my 2 hole abrasivly and often by the railroad in order to maintain my certifications. I liked it better when safety training consisted of "don't get ran over by a train because it will likely hurt".

• 2 weeks later...

This might be out there,and a bit radical, but pain and suffering were mother natures way of saying DON'T DO THAT AGAIN and the harder we try beyond a reasonable point to make the world (and power tools and work sites in particular) safer, then the MORE people will get hurt.

This is not Moderator Wayne going srark raving mad,this is me making the case for COMMON SENSE.

Years ago our young folks would be grazing knees, breaking bones and generally enjoying being an absolute lunatic IT WAS KNOWN AS CHILDHOOD.This taught us what hurt and what didn't, that no you do not become Batman by just watching Batman on t.v and that adverts on t.v were a pain in the arse.LOL.

But since the world went mad and it became possible for someone to claim a fortune from being a complete moron and since children now play sports and find all pleasure and adventure sat in front of a computer,then we now have a situation where a growing number of the worlds window lickers are finding themselves on job sites.This means the rest of the sane, intelligent, CAN find own backside without a map or a pack of hounds types, get insulted, patronised and generally very angry at the ridiculous lengths we have to go to to keep the afore mentioned endangered, shallow end of the gene pool members of the I'M TOO STUPID TO LIVE CLUB alive and maybe not kicking because they may stub a toe. LOL but around long enough to find they can't do the job anyway and then spend a fortune on lawyers and several months trying to get rid of them and wishing we still had a moat, a draw bridge and could pour boiling oil on them from the ramparts.

If you too think mother nature knows best and natural selection dictates we should let morons hurt themselves for the greater good of mankind then like this. LOL. :D

And remember folks a good laugh makes it worth chewing through the restraints in a morning. :D

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile back at the pile of steaming poo that is the craftsman 12v cordless Jigsaw.

My advice is very very simple if you want a 12v jigsaw that will actually cut something buy a Milwaukee because the Craftsman is without doubt the biggest pile of crap I have ever bought. :(

• Like 1

• 9 months later...