cordless in the cold

mohawkdec

we are in a record cold weekend here in the northeast. sat the temp never got above 5 degrees, with 30 mph winds. i had to finish a set of stairs for a deck we were working on. i had my newly acquired m12 system that is still growing, and i had my dewalt 18 volt system. all tools were outside for about 5 hrs, laying on the ground, in the snow, only thing that was babied was me, i kept running in to warm my hands. only trouble i had was the m12 xc3.0 batteries i just bought at home depot, they worked fine in the drill, impact driver, on and off in the m12 cir saw, and not at all in the hacksaw. 4.0 batteries worked fine in everything. 2.0 batteries worked fine in all but hacksaw. all four dewalt 18v were fine. when i got home i brought all the tools in to fully charge all batteries, we were goint to have record cold temps sat night. when i woke up sun at 5.30 am it was -18.. i put all tools out on deck for 3 hours, completely exposed. i know bit extreme but i was curious. at 8.30 this morn i went outside to test. all dewalt tools fired up no problem. in the m12 system, two 4.0 worked in everything but hacksaw, one 3.0 worked in everything but hacksaw, one 3.0 only worked in drill, impact, and all three lights. the two 2.0 worked in everything but hacksaw. all tools are the fuel version. after just a few minutes of warming up, everything worked. the hacksaw seems to need more push than a cold battery can give it. all in all i was really impressed with the performance of both systems, more so with the little m12 system.

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this test and letting the crew know the results! I don't think I have to worry about that though I don't think we will ever be in the those temps out here in southern Cali though it's supposed to be cold right now but the news is reporting high 80's lower 90's :/

Thanks for doing this test and letting the crew know the results! I don't think I have to worry about that though I don't think we will ever be in the those temps out here in southern Cali though it's supposed to be cold right now but the news is reporting high 80's lower 90's :/

oh my drink some water....lol

as far as tools in the cold, I have a rule if I don't want to be out in the cold my tools don't have to be either.......I know I know, some people have no choice.......but on the other hand everyone's cold is different....where we live -15 is chilly other parts of the world -15 is dangerously cold....

none of my tools ever come in for the night, no matter how cold or hot it gets, i have 8 toughsystem boxes, 4 of which are loaded with dewalt battery tools, for me i have no choice, and now that i know that this m12 system is one tough beast, its going to have the fate as all of my dewalts. lol

My m12 stuff was working in my unheated garage when I got up this morning. Not sure how cold it was in there but it was -52 deg Celsius with the wind chill out side and my hands were sure cold.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Damn dude you live on the North Pole!?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk