Bathroom Remodel

kruton

Finally making some progress on our bathroom remodel. Picked out the new floor color.d5d9d13b104ae2c50b7353218bcc9590.jpg Just kidding. That's just the first coat of Redgard getting ready for tile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Finally making some progress on our bathroom remodel. Picked out the new floor color.d5d9d13b104ae2c50b7353218bcc9590.jpg Just kidding. That's just the first coat of Redgard getting ready for tile.

What? I like the red lol!

Finally making some progress is a common phrase around my house as well ha, I'm constantly interrupted by other things that come up, like the yard work I was doing this weekend instead of trim work or whatever else I let go

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly making a little more headway. Got the doors installed, countertop and drawer fronts installed. Now starting on the tiles. Next up is to cement board the tub surround, tile it and then wrap up that backwall. Drop in the toilet and then the kids will have a fully functioning bathroom once again!571ff9531e03f942cfa68f83191787eb.jpg

• Like 3

Take your time, do it right the first time, slowly making a little more headway is good! Have you done much tile install?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nothing with tiles this big. The bathroom is so small that it made it hard to lay out with the cuts where I wanted to hide them. It's been a learning process to say the least. Any pointers or anything you see I'm screwing up? I have no problems with constructive criticism.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Getting there Kruton, before you know it will be done and you'll be on to the next project. ?

Hopefully! When I did my sisters house remodel, the bathroom was a freakin' nightmare. Just one problem after another!

• Like 3

Hopefully! When I did my sisters house remodel, the bathroom was a freakin' nightmare. Just one problem after another!

I'm hoping I am past the major problems...but I'm not holding my breath!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kruton said:

I'm hoping I am past the major problems...but I'm not holding my breath!

Do you have any idea how many times I said that to myself. It did not end until the whole house was finished. The reason I had so many problems is because originally we weren't even going to touch the bathroom. Then when they went to pick out tiles for the kitchen floor.....they said "Why not redo the bathroom?" And by that they meant a total gut!  

• Like 4

Do you have any idea how many times I said that to myself. It did not end until the whole house was finished. The reason I had so many problems is because originally we weren't even going to touch the bathroom. Then when they went to pick out tiles for the kitchen floor.....they said "Why not redo the bathroom?" And by that they meant a total gut!  

I know man, famous last words I guess!

• Like 3

Your doing Kruton, just relax take your time. It will look as good as everything else you've done so far. 

I took another vacation day tomorrow. I'm going to knock out the tile work on the floor so I can get the bathroom up and running while I work on the small trim work that takes for what seems like forever.

• Like 2

Tile looks great. Everything is in the layout which you spent some time doing before committing to it. Much easier to adjust loose tiles on the floor versus than fighting when the thinset is already down.

What did you use for thinset? I've always used Laticrete which is latex fortified. I've had great success with it.

• Like 1

Tile looks great. Everything is in the layout which you spent some time doing before committing to it. Much easier to adjust loose tiles on the floor versus than fighting when the thinset is already down.

What did you use for thinset? I've always used Laticrete which is latex fortified. I've had great success with it.

Yeah trying to decide how to lay everything out to hide my cuts was a pain. The larger 12 x 24 tiles were a bit of a pain since this is a pretty small bathroom.

I used Customs large tile mortar. Not sure how good it is or not. I went with their Redgard membrane on top of the cement board so I figured I would try their mortar as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Making a little more progress lately. With the exception of the shower head the bathroom is back in working order. Still need to finish tiling the tub surround, finish the backwall by the toilet and then wrap up the trim. Thank God I wasn't trying to do this for a living, it's taking forever only working a day and half a week on it if that much even!dc409eca59660c49d7c79657b019e2da.jpg

• Like 2

Just wanted to slide in here and praise your use of redguard. One of my favorite products, and I put it all over the shower floor to ceiling when I do my renovations. People don't realize that tile and grout is not waterproof, and even shower pans rot and eventually leak. 

• Like 2

This is the first time I have ever tried it. Glad to hear from someone that uses it that it's worthwhile. I've got plenty left so I was planning on using it on the shower surround too. This definitely isn't my day job but I've enjoyed the project. Definitely learned a lot and had fun doing it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kruton said:

This is the first time I have ever tried it. Glad to hear from someone that uses it that it's worthwhile. I've got plenty left so I was planning on using it on the shower surround too. This definitely isn't my day job but I've enjoyed the project. Definitely learned a lot and had fun doing it.

Showers are what that stuff is born to do, the product is amazing. Finish off your cement board, run fiber tape along all of your seams and coat with versabond (screws too) then run 2 coats of redgard over everything, walls, floor, seams, and especially corners (corners against the curb are the most likely location of leaks because of accidental overcutting of the shower pan during installation). It doesn't have the greatest pot life so use it up on whatever you can or at least give it a stir once in awhile. The stuff is A+ quality but it will begin to skin in the bucket over time, especially if not climate controlled. 

Also it's quite strong as you already know, but it gets stronger the more square footage you roll, so if you can open doors and windows and run a fan for fresh air. 

Done this way that bathroom will outlast all of us. 

• Like 3

Showers are what that stuff is born to do, the product is amazing. Finish off your cement board, run fiber tape along all of your seams and coat with versabond (screws too) then run 2 coats of redgard over everything, walls, floor, seams, and especially corners (corners against the curb are the most likely location of leaks because of accidental overcutting of the shower pan during installation). It doesn't have the greatest pot life so use it up on whatever you can or at least give it a stir once in awhile. The stuff is A+ quality but it will begin to skin in the bucket over time, especially if not climate controlled. 

Also it's quite strong as you already know, but it gets stronger the more square footage you roll, so if you can open doors and windows and run a fan for fresh air. 

Done this way that bathroom will outlast all of us. 

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what kind of shelf life the stuff had.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:25 PM, kruton said:

Making a little more progress lately. With the exception of the shower head the bathroom is back in working order. Still need to finish tiling the tub surround, finish the backwall by the toilet and then wrap up the trim. Thank God I wasn't trying to do this for a living, it's taking forever only working a day and half a week on it if that much even!dc409eca59660c49d7c79657b019e2da.jpg

looking great Brotha!! I love the look of that tile man