Jump to content

Went to do an insulation job....


Stercorarius

Recommended Posts

Seen a lot of posts about people's screw ups and hack jobs lately. Let's just say I've seen some pretty sketchy stuff from working on old farm buildings. I'll try and contain the carnage to this thread and I'm not sure I'll post everything because some stuff is too sketchy and you never know who's watching.

Did this insulation job last summer. Talk about Frankenstein framing. Not a single stud was spaced the same. No two pieces of insulation could be cut the same. I wish I had a few better pictures because this wall was one of the better ones.

d03bb16626ee69299a6fba5dabb16ec5.jpg

This was how the building was wired (not by me)

5fedaa7adec4896c1701f2ecc31ff384.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another hack job, thus one I respect though. This was the button for the brake lights on my brother's car that he made using the trunk release button. I went through that car and made some hard core custom wiring. Apparently windshield wiper circuits are really confusing but I managed to get 2 switches in there to control that one and put in a real light switch to the brake pedal. We had that car with a hacked together 16 gauge switch panel to where you flipped two switches and then had a push button start because the ignition switch had burnt up for the PO.

9deeff7e2c46a1357890a8967825f8a3.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flooded/water damage?

From what I can gather the old nylon sprocket ford put in these things for the timing slipped (pretty common) and the valve made a little contact with the piston along with it running too rich (way oversized jets) and penzoil (lots of graphite) and somehow the cylinder had coolant leaking into it, probably from a head gasket failure and not a cracked head.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like they closed in some old doors and windows and didn't bother with putting studs nice and even

Yeah it was a booth for an old toll bridge that became a freeway. The building was pulled apart and moved to my boss' property in the eighties and closed up. The whole thing was a mess. The roof was flat and chamfered about a foot around the edge but then had a 2x12 that was proud by about 3 inches up from the edge making troughs that I would assume were intended to be some sort of integrated gutter but the tar cracked leaving just a really leaky roof that didn't let water run off. Re roofing that one was fun.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Working on this beauty currently. Someone thought a 2x6 could hold the whole thing.

e60d9fe4c25c88bf1f662c5df1ed80d4.jpg

3856c1c1c737f951e8cee20d33a6cc8a.jpg

that board will have to sit flat for a few days before using it, damn waste of time.....they should never store lumber straight up and down let alone hold building up one board at a time....besides isn't it 2 boards for code?....lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No surprise I guess, time to get out the hydraulic jacks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah a twenty ton bottle jack should do the trick. I've lifted heavier roofs that had sagged a lot more with a loader. I'm talking heavy enough that I had to keep the stick cranked all the way back to keep the bucket stationary and had the rear wheels about off the ground.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
How about people who never change their sparkplugs in the life of the engine? I mean, I've seen worse, but this is pretty bad too, you can tell that the sparkplug was beginning to deteriorate. their ceramic based anyways so there not made to last forever.

 

IMG_1364_zpsghhnzydy.jpg

You can fix almost anything under the sun, but at the end of the day you can't fix stupid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some more carnage for you guys. Apparently bailing twine is an acceptable romex fastening method. c4656aa80320ca1432361dab9dc8c746.jpg80df7d142e7311bae14e87a2962880c4.jpgab4dda786f2d03dca7749d7a8f83b9c0.jpg

Don't worry guys what was the previous owners deal and that whole wiring has been disconnected. He had overhead romex runs going between barns when we got there......

This was the building I posted earlier that was being held up by a 2x6. Turns out that framing nails and drywall screws are how you fasten tin down.

f69d83a8faa263404547ffa64818afe6.jpg

Here is the progress me and one other guy have accomplished so far in between running around working on other time critical fixes. 4c0da90f9711266a3602f96ff01ac6c9.jpgfe5de7a560221aec16dfb0eab08a1f91.jpg

Yes I know that the vertical trim still needs the tail lopped off. The tin will be reattached with tin screws after we put fascia and soffit up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see your pics are getting clearer, more steady!

That's awesome you get an eclectic work day like that, I get that too. Now figure out a game plan and get a raise from ur boss already!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    18,287
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    Nick_T
    Newest Member
    Nick_T
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...