TV wall mount & cool in-the-wall-wiring kit.

JerryNY

I'm getting a new TV delivered Monday and just got finished getting the new pan-tilt mount installed. The kit called for spanning two studs but that threw off the proportions by not centering it on the wall so I lagged it to a dead-center stud with 2x4" Spax super lags and a couple of 3" Spax cab screws and did all four corners with Hilti toggles for good measure. The drywall is 2x1/2" for some reason in this crazy old house too ;) The 65" I'm getting is only 46 lbs so I think all that should be more than enough for 4 of these panels.

post-50770-0-36992800-1455926348_thumb.j

post-50770-0-59587500-1455926385_thumb.j

I'm also doing a floating TV console below the TV and don't want any visible cords so I put in an in-the-wall wiring kit that runs what's essentially a romex extension cord and conduit for the AV cables to go through

the the wall:

post-50770-0-27492900-1455926587_thumb.j

It's a pretty cool kit, it even includes a hole saw, fish rod and templates to make it super simple. I scoffed at the cheapo hole saw but turns out with my vast collection of hole saws I didn't happen to have the 3" size needed so it saved some $ and a trip to HD.

post-50770-0-32650000-1455926733_thumb.j

post-50770-0-74486500-1455926787_thumb.j

post-50770-0-34691400-1455926834_thumb.j

post-50770-0-77798800-1455926868_thumb.j

All in all I'm pretty happy with the kit. Super easy to install and it solves the wire and power problem pretty painlessly. It'll be much nicer once the TV goes up but it's nice to have it good to go.

• Like 4

Nice job, I do a lot of installed similar to that, brackets I use though you can center the tv on the wall regardless of stud spacing since they are nearly never perfect. After you mount the baseplate the tv can slide left or right on the mount and still be fully secure, with a large 46" tv a large bracket behind the tv is hidden anyways. Love the look of hidden lines!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, while the LG bracket looks super high quality and engineered better than most mounts I've seen there wasn't much choice because LG used non-VESA spacing on their OLED's for the screw holes so I decided to just stick with the OEM instead of having to deal with adapters etc. I was going to just add a piece of plywood secured to the studs and lag the mount to the plywood but the stud being dead center seemed to just call for lagging it directly to that. It's not going anywhere.

I did the same thing for my TV wall, didn't want any wires on the wall itself so I ran HDMI cables into up and over ceiling so cable box and HTPC was on same side a sofa, ran wiring for speakers as well...this is a pic before flooring and trim was installed .....fire place glass front acts as a remote deflector for cable box and HTPC is wireless so everything works as if it was under TV ....

20150512_212237.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good Jerry. Didn't take long, right?

No not long. The hardest part of the mount was just getting the stud mapped out. I test drilled with tiny bits to get the dead center of the stud so the lags would be driven right in the middle. Once one lag was put in the top center which I initially left loose so I could mark the four corners for the snap toggles and swing the mount out of the way to drill the 1/2" holes and put the toggles in. Then I swung the mount back in place and tighten up all he toggle screws and lags.

The wall wiring kit was pretty simple and took maybe 20 minutes, half that entire time was just putting plastic down to capture drywall dust and clean up... I hate drywall dust almost as much as brick dust lol. The kit having everything included is kinda nice and the template made it super easy, especially because they stressed in the directions to not drill the hole all the way through until you started the second adjoining hole to make the oval opening, each hole on either side of the in-the-wall conduit requires two overlapping holes making essential a big oval. It's nice too that in the future I can just drop cables down the conduit in the wall.

Looks good Jerry, what you've done should be more then adequate for a 46 lbs. tv. Good luck with the new tv. Can you get Periscope on it? Lol. Enjoy.

It's a smart tv so it has built in Internet and YouTube so I can watch TIA in 4K OLED splendor, well if Dan actually shoots in 4K :P I could watch Periscope from the Web browser too :P

• Like 2

I did the same thing for my TV wall, didn't want any wires on the wall itself so I ran HDMI cables into up and over ceiling so cable box and HTPC was on same side a sofa, ran wiring for speakers as well...this is a pic before flooring and trim was installed .....fire place glass front acts as a remote deflector for cable box and HTPC is wireless so everything works as if it was under TV ....

20150512_212237.jpg

Looks really nice. I decided to go with an IKEA besta unit as a wall mounted console below the tv. The power and AV cables are going to be hidden In the central compartment which will have a smoked glass door.

post-50770-0-66154500-1456029163_thumb.j

This is the kit I used, one our crew helped me choose this kit just can't remember at the moment who it was.... Brain fart.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GWGZGQ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are nice kits. The reason I went with my kit is it has a corrugated tube with soft seal and trim plates with seals as well which is nice to keep it tight on an outside wall and let's the wires easily navigate the tube from one end of the other. Insulation in the wall would have made fishing wires a pain in the future if I wanted to add some other cables.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, if you wall mount your TV you should keep the TV stand or look online to see how much it sells for...you may be surprised, I've seen some TV stands that sell for nearly $200.

Most are nearer to $50, but higher end TV stands are closer to $100 and up

3 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Id hang on to it, you never know if you go t o upgrade and want that tv for something or to sell, kind of pointless without the stand.

That is the exact reason why they're priced soo high, people throw them away and they don't sell the part separate. You have to buy universal stands, which pretty much suck. Resale value drops without the stand, I buy some broken TVs to fix and use or sell and I literally knock their price in half for no stand.

• Like 1