Klein MM200 Auto Ranging Multimeter

Conductor562

The other day I found myself suddenly in the market for a multimeter. When I say suddenly I mean suddenly, but that's a whole other story. I had a $5 Cen-Tech meter that I got as a gift about 10 years ago that died awhile back but I wanted something a little nicer this time around. HD is the closest place around so I naturally went there. I had hoped to run across one of the new Milwaukee meters but no such luck. My urgent need had limited me to 2 Greenlee models, 2 Klein models, and 1 Ideal model. After a few minutes I settled on the Klein MM200 ($48.99) and away I went. Out of the package the first thing I noticed was the hefty, quality, feel of the tool, especially the test leads which came with protective caps for both ends when detaching the leads for storage. The meter is auto ranging  and features all the typical functions of a meter of it's type such as current, voltage, continuity, capacitance, etc. with an AC/DC voltage testing range of up to 600 volts and an AC/DC current range of up to 10 Amps. The additional feature that really sold me on this particular meter was the temperature function. Via a supplied thermocouple this meter has the ability to take temperatures ranging from -4 to 1,832 degrees. I may not use this function regularly, but it's very nice to have the capability. Beyond what I consider standard features this meter features a very easy to read back lit display which I was happy to know does not time out after a short while though the tool itself times out after 15 minutes of non-use. The meter is very easy to use. Klein presents a lot of functionality in a simple, uncluttered way. On the back of the tool there are built in holders to store the test leads and a till bail with which to prop the tool up when needed. This wasn't the meter I wanted, but I can't imagine being any happier with it. This is an awesome meter for the price. I could certainly see professional users dealing in industrial or other high voltage applications wanting more than this meter has to offer. These users would require more than 600V capability and I assume would prefer CAT IV leads rather than the CAT III 's offered with this unit. However, for DIY'rs, hobbiest, or anyone who deals in applications under 600V, this meter is certainly worth considering. 

• Like 1

I also bought a carry case for it ($11 @ HD). It's a universal type case and lists about 10 different products as being compatible. It's a little big for my meter but that allows plenty of storage room for the thermocouple, clip leads, etc.