How sensitive to voltage increase are cordless tools?

Toto

I had a number of dead battery packs on a couple of cordless drills that were going to cost £300 to replace so I bought a load of cells to rebuild them myself. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H2GQFOA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 

These are listed as 1.2v, the same as the originals but when I built the 14.4 volt pack up and checked the voltage it was 17.5v.   I built a second pack to make sure I hadn't damaged the first but again, 17.5v.  When I checked the individual cells they were showing 1.45v instead of 1.2v.

I don't know whether or not I should drain these packs and put them through a couple of charge cycle to see if that makes a difference because I don't want to risk burning the drill out.  Does anyone know how tolerant a cordless drill is to voltage increases?  

I could take a couple of cells out and drop the voltage to 14.5 ish but obviously I'll lose storage capacity and if the voltage drops naturally with time I'll lose power too.

Any help would be appreciated.

14.4v ... does that make it the old dewalt drills or what brand are we talking here?

Usually the voltage is off by a little bit and out doesn't make a big difference, if you ran the drill with your rebuilt batteries, I imagine the voltage would drop to nominal levels and will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

14.4v ... does that make it the old dewalt drills or what brand are we talking here?

Usually the voltage is off by a little bit and out doesn't make a big difference, if you ran the drill with your rebuilt batteries, I imagine the voltage would drop to nominal levels and will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I agree most of the times the voltage is a bit off

That 3 volts is gonna go away as soon as you pull the trigger most likely. 14.4 is pretty old school. You might wanna look into upgrading someday,not always worth it to rebuild the batts.

Draper isnt a name you here much aboout,but they have good stuff. I have a Japanese made Draper ID micrometer set.

• 5 years later...

Great insights guys. I'm glad I found this post as I was about to do something dumb! I never thought that in my area with a such a diminishing quality of power. I thought that the governors are taking care of the power grid in the area a long time ago, but unfortunately that's not the case. Pretty much I'm trying to open my store and the power grid in the area doesn't support all the devices and machinery that I need to have. Just like enough to talk with one of the guys from https://www.ashleyedisonuk.com/world-voltages/ They were really helpful in assessing the situation and providing valuable guidance to what I can do.