Upgrade of Forum - Final

Eric - TIA

We finally upgraded the forum.  You will see some differences.  We have to work on getting things back to normal.  

Step 1

I will be talking the next couple of days getting the new forum up to date on the back end.  All custom fields, settings and more are all set to default.  So I have to figure out what is what.  If you see anything goofy with settings or are missing something, please let me know and I will try to fix it.  If there are things that annoy you or want fixed or changed, also let me know.  I will try to get everything back up and running as soon as possible.  Only thing I know I will overlook stuff, so I just need your help on what needs to be fixed.  I will have to go back and update upload sizes etc, so if you try to upload something and it doesn't work, let me know.

Step 2

Once we get all the settings and code back to the way it was, we will be updating the look and feel of the forum.  We will be taking all your suggesting in consideration and do our best to meet everyone expectations.  If you have any suggestions on things you would like to see in a forum, let me know.  I started a thread here.  Let us now know or forever hold your peace (I think that is the saying)

• Like 1

If you are getting a lot of notifications from post or topics, you can turn them on or off.

Steps

1. Go to the top of this webpage, you will see a symbol that looks like a bell
  2. Click one time on the bell and a box will pop up
  3. On the top right of that box, you will see "Notification Settings" - Here you can change any notification setting you want.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Hello Eric, this is a very good start, but as you already mentioned, there is much to improve. OK, regarding post specific options, I would like the "insert image from link" returned, cause on occasion we have to link to an image elsewhere. I am not sure if "automatic parse links" is available on this forum but that would be nice, that way I don't have to figure out what forum code this uses and actually have to enter code so that youtube vids are displayed.

It would also be nice to have the "signatures" returned at the bottom of our posts, I liked being able to have a quote in there, and most forums have sigs so that would be a nice return.

It would be nice if this forum had a custom theme option. Those like myself get blasted with the bright white background, it be nice to be able to set it to a black background with white text or something. Giving the member the option to change their own theme is a major plus IMO.

I'd also appreciate more flexability in profile editing. I am one of those members who loves to have a profile and customise it how they want it. Cause as we all know, some people checkout our awesome profiles, and the more awesome we can make them, the more awesome we feel about ourselves. :P

I also noticed a lack of emoticons in the posting box. Yes there are a few but not near enough, remember, since its hard to read people's meaning in text, emoticons were made to convey the emotion. I would appreciate more emoticons, even animated ones for that extra bit of awesomeness.

So far that is all I can think of right now. But this is all summed up pretty much with, we need more customization, and then this forum will be badass once again. :)

Awesome list.  Once we get the back end up and running, i will start working on these items.  Right now the server is rebuilding everything.  Since there are a lot of things, it will take a while to rebuild and then I can start working on some of the coding.  We plan to bring all those items back.  In regards to the theme, I really doubt this is the one we will be keeping, it's just the default theme that is with the new software.  We will be having a couple different themes that a user can pick for themselves and set as their default.  I will make sure we have at least a light and a dark theme.  I agree on the profile editing.  A lot of custom fields got reset and need to figure out what the heck they were.  Once done, please let me know if there are certain fields we are missing and that you would like to see..  Our old Emoticons were deleted and I have to reinstall the new one.  Glad you said this because I forget about them.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

The site finished rebuilding images, posts etc, so I am going to work on some of the settings and coding in the back end tonight.  There are a ton of options on the backend.  If you guys see something change, let me know.  I will keep checking also, but not see the small little changes show up.  I have to go into and let the system what type of files can be uploaded, sizes etc.  I just have to make sure I leave enough options for all of us, but not too many for spammers and hackers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Hello Eric, this is a very good start, but as you already mentioned, there is much to improve. OK, regarding post specific options, I would like the "insert image from link" returned, cause on occasion we have to link to an image elsewhere. I am not sure if "automatic parse links" is available on this forum but that would be nice, that way I don't have to figure out what forum code this uses and actually have to enter code so that youtube vids are displayed.

It would also be nice to have the "signatures" returned at the bottom of our posts, I liked being able to have a quote in there, and most forums have sigs so that would be a nice return.

It would be nice if this forum had a custom theme option. Those like myself get blasted with the bright white background, it be nice to be able to set it to a black background with white text or something. Giving the member the option to change their own theme is a major plus IMO.

I'd also appreciate more flexability in profile editing. I am one of those members who loves to have a profile and customise it how they want it. Cause as we all know, some people checkout our awesome profiles, and the more awesome we can make them, the more awesome we feel about ourselves. :P

I also noticed a lack of emoticons in the posting box. Yes there are a few but not near enough, remember, since its hard to read people's meaning in text, emoticons were made to convey the emotion. I would appreciate more emoticons, even animated ones for that extra bit of awesomeness.

So far that is all I can think of right now. But this is all summed up pretty much with, we need more customization, and then this forum will be badass once again. :)

Hey Protoolnut,

I just noticed this option is all ready available.  When you create or reply to a post, it should be in the bottom on the box that says "Insert other media".  If you click on this,  there is an option to insert from image from url.  I believe this is what you were talking about, but if not let me know.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Hey Eric, thankyou so much for keeping us updated in your progress. Since I am a tech geek, I actually like to know about this stuff so I appreciate the updates. Regarding spammers, all you have to do is institute the captcha system, thats usually pretty effective at keeping them at bay. As far as image posting sizes are concerned, I think if you limit each image to a max size of 1500 by 1500 that auda be big enough for anyone.

However, it be nice to be able to have a slightly larger avatar, say 200 by 200. Oh and that reminds me, if you get the signature system back, it be nice if we could post thumbnail size pictures in our sigs, again a limit of 200 by 200 should suffice. Your pretty smart with this stuff Eric, I don't care what Dan says, you know your shit lol

Sweet, thanks for the settings.  I will use those dimensions for pictures.  It would be cool if I can add a picture to your signature.  Hopefully that will work.  Thanks again

48 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

So is there something I am missing when I hit unread content, and I go to the thread, is there a way to go to the first unread post? I know this was available before, not sure if its there and I'm missing it or something...

I noticed that too, it worked nicely before, it's still getting tweaked though it sounds. I too, am tweaking this new setup to suit my needs, really digging it so far!

I like it a lot better than the other system already. Good work. I also agree with slightly larger DP's, even if the extra forum text is smaller to make up for it (location and favorite tool lines, for example, don't need to be so big to conserve scrolling through dead space). 

Eric - Everything looks great. Thanks for all of the hard work.

Only suggestion that I have is kinda the same gripe I had on the other format. Anyway to change the color of the font on the following so there is more of a contrast? Kinda hard too see at times.,

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Hey don't even kid about dead space. Since were now in the future, we must be very careful about reaching towards the past. For if we go back in time, any miner change we make could send the entire universe into chaos. You might even end up in a time where you meet your mother in the past, the results of that happening could be disastrous. Stay away from dead space, because once your there, there's no flux capacitor to get you back to 2016.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Yes, we must keep the government from controlling our minds with the geosynchronous satellites. And don't drink the water either, they put something in it to make you forget.

I used to work with a guy that believed that everything was a government conspiracy, everything to the water being filled with fluoride to brain wash us and control us all the way to that every president is a cousin of each other.. yea, so we used to tease him that when he went home he sat in a corner with a  tin foil hat on.

56 minutes ago, 99_XC600 said:

Eric - Everything looks great. Thanks for all of the hard work.

Only suggestion that I have is kinda the same gripe I had on the other format. Anyway to change the color of the font on the following so there is more of a contrast? Kinda hard too see at times.,

Untitled.png

Sounds good.  I am sure there is a way.  Let me see what i can do

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

So is there something I am missing when I hit unread content, and I go to the thread, is there a way to go to the first unread post? I know this was available before, not sure if its there and I'm missing it or something...

I am a little lost.  What do you mean.  When i go to unread post, I see recent stuff.  Have you gone up to the activity tab?  Sorry I just want to make sure it was the way you guys want it.

1 minute ago, Eric - TIA said:

I am a little lost.  What do you mean.  When i go to unread post, I see recent stuff.  Have you gone up to the activity tab?  Sorry I just want to make sure it was the way you guys want it.

When you went on a thread there was a button on the top right that tool you to the first unread post,when i go into unread content it takes me to the first post and you have to click on the last page and scroll down to find the new post