M12 Fuel vs M18 Brushed Impacts

Dano123

How do you guys think these two compare? I have the M12 and M18 brushed impacts and I would like to upgrade one or the other to Fuel. The power of my M18 is fine and really the M12 is decent for what I do. I mainly use my tools to build patio furniture and other misc projects as well as home maintenance. I don't use my tools daily, but I would say I use them more than the average DIY guy. I am mainly wanting the Fuel for battery life and I plan to give whichever I replace to my step dad. I just bought him the M12 drill/hackzall kit so I could get the bare tool in the M12 and he would still have 2 batteries from that kit. If I go the M18 route I would need to give him a battery and charger as well so I would need to buy the kit. My main question is, does the M12 Fuel live up to the hype of it hanging with the 18v impacts or should I spend the extra money and get the M18?   I appreciate any input. Thanks

m12 is a little beast, I want to say it has around 1200 inch pounds of torque, which is huge for a 12v, rivals many 18v models, the m18 gen 2 fuel has 1800 inch pounds of torque, you might be able to pick up a straggler gen 1 kit with 1600 inch pounds cheaper...

Thanks for the input. I will still have my brushed m18 for bigger screws and lags. HD has a sale going on for the Fuel M12 impact 2 battery kit plus a free tool or 4.0 battery for $169.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You won't be disappointed with the m12 probably has the same power as your m18 brushed

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For another $30 I could get a second 4.0 battery. How well does the drill drive screws? I have been using impacts for so long I don't think I ever tried to drive a screw with either of my drills.

I have always been scared to buy a 12v set since 18v seemed to be the standard. I had the full line of Black and Decker 18v for years with surprisingly good luck. I know they are "junk", but for the DIY guy on a budget they worked well for me. My best friend is a union carpenter and a huge Dewalt guy and has made fun of them for years, but I don't use my tools like he does so they held up well. I finally broke down and upgraded my line last year and, just to keep up our tool arguments, I went with the Milwaukee M18. I recently ended up buying the M12 drill/hackzall combo because I liked the smaller hackzall and I only use it to cut pvc, copper, emt and other misc light duty jobs (I have the super sawzall for bigger jobs). I was very impressed with the M12 drill which led me to buy the M12 brushed impact.  My step dad is a corded guy all the way and with a metal roof project coming up I decided to buy him a cordless set. Hopefully the Fuel drill/brushed impact will work for him.  Thanks again for the input.

• Like 1

Well said. I am like you were, the 12v tools are new to me and I didn't want to waste money on them if they have inferior power. Driving deck screws is most of what I do and I don't need 1800 in lbs to do that.

I gifted my M12 Fuel drill and impact driver to my parents. The impact does not offer significant size reduction compared to my 2753. In fact, it is longer, and I prefer slide packs to stem packs. If I was budget conscious and looking for versatility I would get an M18. That said, I do have M12 in my collection, and there are some real gems in that line. I'm hoping this year's tool symposium will show off gen 2 M12 that has the Fuel drills go on a big diet. 

That 5.0 battery is awesome for sure. I am looking for a set for my step dad who is a die hard corded tool guy. I bought him the m12 drill/hackzall kit last week, but I ended up returning it. I ordered the m12 fuel hammer drill and impact kit with the free right angle drill from HD. My plan was to give him the fuel drill and my brushed m12 impact plus a 2.0 and 1.5 battery and I will keep the rest. Now I am considering keeping the fuel kit and giving him the brushed drill and impact with two 1.5 batts. He has a metal roof project coming up so that set should work fine for him plus I am going to bring my tools when we do it.

I do like my shelf/tool box I made. I normally use my tools in my garage/shop so the shelf keeps them accessible, but it's a pain to load everything up when I work on a project elsewhere. I made this box that hangs on a french cleat or it closes up to become portable. This is just a prototype out of scrape. The front cover slides under the bottom when it's on the wall.

5d2d8f4b30153c147c40cd5aa3f02160.jpg

e23227a075d4cdfdb644a2d4a1df217a.jpg