New Kobalt Tools Discussion

Stercorarius

I have a 24v drill and driver at home and the company I work for gave me a m18 drill and driver to use there. The M18 works well, but the motor gets hot and the chuck doesn't grip that well. I would say the kobalt drill performs better then the m18. A coworker has the m18 fuel kit and it performs fantastically. My opinion it feels more professional grade then the kobalt, but it is a $500 set so it should out perform it. I think the kobalt is hard to beat for the money, but I do not expect it to hold up as well as the fuel. Yet again I don't think it was designed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 24v drill and driver at home and the company I work for gave me a m18 drill and driver to use there. The M18 works well, but the motor gets hot and the chuck doesn't grip that well. I would say the kobalt drill performs better then the m18. A coworker has the m18 fuel kit and it performs fantastically. My opinion it feels more professional grade then the kobalt, but it is a $500 set so it should out perform it. I think the kobalt is hard to beat for the money, but I do not expect it to hold up as well as the fuel. Yet again I don't think it was designed to.

Now the drill is the nicest tool in that line, impact isn't terrible but that's about it, the recip saw just feels terribly cheap, could they use as shittier rubber molding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Now the drill is the nicest tool in that line, impact isn't terrible but that's about it, the recip saw just feels terribly cheap, could they use as shittier rubber molding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree completely about the recip saw. I haven't used one but did play with it in the store and wasn't impressed with the feel. I know the kobalt would out perform it, but my old 18v skill recip saw has a better feel in the hand.

Does anyone know if the company making tools for Kobalt is still the same. I think they seem to be pretty hit or miss in my experience. My first miter saw I bought was a Kobalt. You could get about 3/8" deflection out of that thing when fully extended. However I have a Kobalt tile saw, and I think that is great for the money. They were bought about 10 years apart though. 

TIA doesn't have any dedicated reviews of the 24v line. They had a behind-the-scenes special with the Kobalt team at NASCAR but never went anywhere else with reviewing their products.

The workshop addict reviews only covered the impact and drill about 7 or 8 months after release; not exactly when the products came out. And I don't know who the reviewer is by name that did them, but he was awful and came off as not knowing what he was talking about or nervous (probably both). Among other things, he included the battery as the drill's total weight.

Would the last reviewer you mentioned happen to be Real Tool Reviews? He just did one on the drill IIRC.

Do you want a review of something after only a few days or with hours upon hours of run time?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Do you want a review of something after only a few days or with hours upon hours of run time?

I don't know what the heck you're going on about. All I've been saying is that it's nice to have a review within a few MONTHS of release. Ever notice how the Milwaukee Surge had several reviews right around the time of release? And no, I don't want "a review or something after only a few days or hours upon run time." I expect it within a few thousandths of a second, of course.

I don't know what the heck you're going on about. All I've been saying is that it's nice to have a review within a few MONTHS of release. Ever notice how the Milwaukee Surge had several reviews right around the time of release? And no, I don't want "a review or something after only a few days or hours upon run time." I expect it within a few thousandths of a second, of course.

Well in your post that I quoted you specifically said when a product is released. To me Dan and Eric fit that bill of giving you a look at the products to come with the media event. That put them on the radar and YouTube searches. Then other reviewers gave them several months run time testing because that is the one thing that people are worried about is longevity of these house brand tools. I don't see what the issue is with a possible 7-8 month review of a brand new product line that is trying to cater to possible pros.

About the surge it hasn't even been out 2 months. At that point it is basically giving you a technical break down of the product and initial thoughts. Not a longevity review. No different than a media event.

• Like 1

Hogwash!

Please explain how you arrived at this statement? Is "3 to 1" used simply as an expression, or is there some mathematical substance to it?

What Milwaukee models are you comparing them to? To say these Kobalt tools are 3 times the tools the very solid Milwaukee offerings are is quite a bold statement. 

I haven't used the new Kobalt stuff, but I put as much stock in this statement as I would a headline in the National Inquirer that Kim Jong Un and Kate Upton have a baby together. Then again, I haven't seen Ms. Upton's lady parts lately either [emoji848]

As an expression

M18fuel impact to Kobalt 24v Brushless and the the Circular saw.

I use to sell Milwaukee and know the tools inside and out. Once you use the Kobalt you will understand how much more comfortable and actually a solid power tool. Must have gone back to the drawing board when they designed these.

9 hours ago, KobaltFan1 said:

As an expression

I use to sell Milwaukee and know the tools inside and out. Once you use the Kobalt you will understand how much more comfortable and actually a solid power tool. Must have gone back to the drawing board when they designed these.

Uh huh sure

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KobaltFan1 said:

As an expression

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ;D

Milwaukee tools are awesome. 

Kobalt tools are OK I've used them and have utterly failed at times.

Sorry man but KOBALT  VS MILWAUKEE Seriously? :huh:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ;D

Milwaukee tools are awesome. 

Kobalt tools are OK I've used them and have utterly failed at times.

Sorry man but KOBALT  VS MILWAUKEE Seriously? :huh:

Hey just because their hand tools are nice paper weights doesn't mean the power tools haven't come a long ways :D

• Like 1

Hey just because their hand tools are nice paper weights doesn't mean the power tools haven't come a long ways [emoji3]

Lets see how a kobalt holds up day in and day out work, or how the batteries hold up in diving rain or sub zero temps

I just don't see Kobalt as a professional option their take on the reciprocating saw is just terrible that grip I couldn't use everyday

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Hilti or makita man myself more so Hilti and my 1/2 impact is Matco and I got snap on 1/2 and 7.2v screw guns I love the expensive tools i guess but they are usually the weaker tools in power but are built very well. Hilti makes very good drills and impact drivers I love mine but they are heavy but mainly steel internals like gears and such but for the price you can buy more tools in say the big box stores.  Just 1 of my snap on screw guns were like $350 and it's the size of a small pistol lol and I got 3 of them. I don't use those much as I like to use my Hilti impact. I'd be willing to try kobalt but don't have many kobalt tools and all mine are williams era kobalt hand tools.

I'm a Hilti or makita man myself more so Hilti and my 1/2 impact is Matco and I got snap on 1/2 and 7.2v screw guns I love the expensive tools i guess but they are usually the weaker tools in power but are built very well. Hilti makes very good drills and impact drivers I love mine but they are heavy but mainly steel internals like gears and such but for the price you can buy more tools in say the big box stores.  Just 1 of my snap on screw guns were like $350 and it's the size of a small pistol lol and I got 3 of them. I don't use those much as I like to use my Hilti impact. I'd be willing to try kobalt but don't have many kobalt tools and all mine are williams era kobalt hand tools.

I have 3/8 impact. It's the bomb, from what I hear Kobalt use to shitty on power tools but they have definitely overhauled and made them a great tool. I'm excited to see what they will continue to make next as far as power tools and if they can keep up with Milwaukee, Bosch, Portacable, and Dewalt.

• Like 1