Snap-On 80 compared to GearWrench 80 ratchet

Mondo1310

I've been wanting to try GearWrench ratchets for awhile now and found a great deal on this one thanks BMack37. When I received the GearWrench it felt great in my hands and had some decent weight to it. It's has a single paw mechanism which is smooth but a bit on the noisy side for me. Compared to the Snap-On is a dual paw just glides and very quite mechanism. The chrome finish on the GearWrench is nice but around the selector mechanism and GearWrench logo needed a little more attention. Snap-On was nearly flawless but could have been better on the stamped Snap-On logo. But these are purely cosmetic net picking on my part. As for  serviceability and parts Snap-Ons are a tool truck or phone call away, but the Snap-On has a few more moving parts that might be tricky to replace. The GearWrench is very simple due to the single paw mechanism, but not sure how easily warranty replacement or parts are to get. But I'm very impressed with the GearWrench 80 mechanism for the money. If you want the Rolls-Royce of ratchets Snap-on is the one to get. Made in USA and all customer service centers in USA with no questions asked replacements, you get what you pay for. That's my two cents. #TIACREW

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

03F1F48B-7B56-4527-AFC4-15F93BCDF15E.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Mondo1310 said:

I've been wanting to try GearWrench ratchets for awhile now and found a great deal on this one thanks BMack37. When I received the GearWrench it felt great in my hands and had some decent weight to it. It's has a single paw mechanism which is smooth but a bit on the noisy side for me. Compared to the Snap-On is a dual paw just glides and very quite mechanism. The chrome finish on the GearWrench is nice but around the selector mechanism and GearWrench logo needed a little more attention. Snap-On was nearly flawless but could have been better on the stamped Snap-On logo. But these are purely cosmetic net picking on my part. As for  serviceability and parts Snap-Ons are a tool truck or phone call away, but the Snap-On has a few more moving parts that might be tricky to replace. The GearWrench is very simple due to the single paw mechanism, but not sure how easily warranty replacement or parts are to get. But I'm very impressed with the GearWrench 80 mechanism for the money. If you want the Rolls-Royce of ratchets Snap-on is the one to get. Made in USA and all customer service centers in USA with no questions asked replacements, you get what you pay for. That's my two cents. #TIACREW

image.jpeg

i totaly agree

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in the stubby. I expected a nicer ratchet and I'm sorry that this is yours and Jimbo's first experiences in Gearwrench ratchets. I still think it's worth more than we paid but it just doesn't have the smoothness I was expecting.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in the stubby. I expected a nicer ratchet and I'm sorry that this is yours and Jimbo's first experiences in Gearwrench ratchets. I still think it's worth more than we paid but it just doesn't have the smoothness I was expecting.

Better than what i had before proto entered my life!

• Like 2

Just watch out for the spring in the pawl. If your pawl flips out like mine did when I pulled the gear, the notch goes up and you have to push it down(towards the lever) to get the gear in. Not the most difficult but odd how it popped out like that.

It's not a bad ratchet, in fact it reminds me of my old Kobalt Williams ratchets...but those are also about 16 years old. Things have changed since then! Man...thinking that I bought my first ratchet set and started driving 15 years ago gives me a bit of a mid life crisis. :(

• Like 2

Doesn't quite come across in the video but the 120XP is a little less than half as quiet. It's twice as smooth as the stubby.

Here is a video of the sound comparison between the 3/8" 120xp(left) and 3/8" Stubby(right):

Yea man you could hear a big difference in the video.

Millerz

• Like 2