New tool sightings

jevink

By type you mean their changing to an alternate battery technology, or just playing catch-up on amp wars? I mean we saw the batteries in the picture but...seemed like an amp deal to me given how colossal the size of the batteries were. 

Rumors are some new battery that can give more power to tools but will be backwards compatible with existing 20v Max tools. Some tumors where voltage switching packs where they are either 4ah 18/20v and 2ah 36v. Just some rumors I heard

Dewalt are late to most party's so I'm not expecting a huge step in tech from them tbh. A higher torque 18v drill would be them catching up, a battery that switches between 18v and 36 is pointless unless they make some good 36v tools. There 12v line is dead which is why many have switched away from it. 

15 minutes ago, itchyspanner said:

Dewalt are late to most party's so I'm not expecting a huge step in tech from them tbh. A higher torque 18v drill would be them catching up, a battery that switches between 18v and 36 is pointless unless they make some good 36v tools. There 12v line is dead which is why many have switched away from it. 

Unfortunately true. Dewalts innovation department is lacking to say the least, they always take the path of least resistance and walk roads already paved. Evolutionary vs Revolutionary seems to be their motto at internal affairs. Still love their products but I wish they'd be first more than once a lifetime. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately true. Dewalts innovation department is lacking to say the least, they always take the path of least resistance and walk roads already paved. Evolutionary vs Revolutionary seems to be their motto at internal affairs. Still love their products but I wish they'd be first more than once a lifetime. 

Which if they wait for someone eles to work on the engineering and technology of a new type of tool it would cost the less money to make the tool in the long run. And keep from paying that big enginers payment. Making them able to keep jobs in America. And help the price for consumers.... Maybe. Just guessing and trying to look at it from a big competitive market. I could be off by a million miles.

Millerz

1 minute ago, Millerzconstruction said:

Which if they wait for someone eles to work on the engineering and technology of a new type of tool it would cost the less money to make the tool in the long run. And keep from paying that big enginers payment. Making them able to keep jobs in America. And help the price for consumers.... Maybe. Just guessing and trying to look at it from a big competitive market. I could be off by a million miles.

Millerz

Oh no I'm sure you've nailed it, that's my opinion anyway...but if you're following, you're never leading. Long term prognosis is stagnation. 

Perfect example is the historical cat and mouse Apple and Samsung. I don't like either much but there's no denying why the secret sauce Apple make tastes so good, they don't move fast but they innovate and polish well while supplying superior product. Samsung plays copycat and pumps out tit for tat the same features in a rewrapped package. 

Which one is worth a half a trillion dollars? It's not Samsung.

nokia-vs-apple-vs-sony-vs-samsung.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh no I'm sure you've nailed it, that's my opinion anyway...but if you're following, you're never leading. Long term prognosis is stagnation. 

Perfect example is the historical cat and mouse Apple and Samsung. I don't like either much but there's no denying why the secret sauce Apple make tastes so good, they don't move fast but they innovate and polish well while supplying superior product. Samsung plays copycat and pumps out tit for tat the same features in a rewrapped package. 

Which one is worth a half a trillion dollars? It's not Samsung.

nokia-vs-apple-vs-sony-vs-samsung.jpeg

Exactly. I'm glad you think so too hugh.

Millerz

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Agree with what you are saying to an extent.

I think my feelings are in terms of wanting Dewalt to be 'World Leaders' of innovation and first to market with everything, where they seem (in recent years) to have been playing follow my leader..

However, I think I'm correct in saying that they were first to Market with the 'Charger' Site radio, and the Gas-less Second Fix Nail gun (10+ yrs ago), also the Gas-less First Fix Framing Nailer (only one on the market), the soon to be released 'Brushless' Cordless planer, and the ...!!!!  (oh yes, I can't mention that yet...Lol..).. :D

I think them playing 'second fiddle' for a while, is due to their R&D into the switching of Battery packs from 'Stem Packs' to 'Slide packs'..

Some other manufacturers were not so diligent with this, and hence they have dropped a clanger and frustrated their own end users when it comes to compatibility between their own 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 amp/hr battery packs.. Something you have no issue with when it comes to Dewalt..

Now the Foundations are sorted, I think that the confidence in the Product is reflected in Sales, hence profitability and potential greater funding for their engineering teams to slowly become the 'Innovative' Brand we once knew... 

Well, thats my 2 Cents worth anyway... ;D

Dewalt tends to just sit back and wait for Milwaukee to do something, then they make there move, sometimes better, sometimes not. They really hit a home run with the nailers and their gen 2 drills, except for the 996. Now we can't really judge it until we get some run time but it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against red. Their impact does for sure.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rossi7x said:

However, I think I'm correct in saying that they were first to Market with the 'Charger' Site radio, and the Gas-less Second Fix Nail gun (10+ yrs ago), also the Gas-less First Fix Framing Nailer (only one on the market), the soon to be released 'Brushless' Cordless planer, and the ...!!!!  (oh yes, I can't mention that yet...Lol..).. :D

...just for perspective, you've listed 5 items. And I'd hardly list a tool that's out there that dewalt releases as brushless as first to market (the Planer) when the design is copied from everyone who's been to market for a while, such as Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi, TCH, Ridgid, AEG, Ryobi, Pro Lead, etc.... BUT, let's say for poops and funnies that it's twice that much at 10 original ideas in the last decade from Dewalt. 

There's probably around 500 cordless tools that are available on the market today, Makita alone has nearly 100 so I'm being conservative here. Take it out over the last decade and it's probably around 2,000-3,000ish across all brands and years. 

See how that's a joke in the grand scheme of things?