No hot water at restaurant in years!

Health department got call out to this restaurant, found the water heater not working and god knows what else. It probably hasn't been working in years and this little tankless does the whole place, kitchen, bath and other sinks. Not to mention this tankless has a million code violations theres like 30 violations on the electric alone. They were using a 30amp switch with 10 gauge wire pig-tailed off the switch. It all burned up because everything needs to be rated for 60amps. Some nice french fires!! Another problem besides everything, is that code requires 36 inches of copper water lines off the tankless. This is so gross that a restaurant has no hot water to wash dishes and still doesn't because theres low water flow at the kitchen. This is only a point of use water heater. The owner tells me they wash dishes with chemicals so they don't need hot water. So you use soap no $#!t   Disgusting!!!  I guess its a good thing to work in restaurants because you work inside the kitchens and you know what places not to eat at. If you ever been inside a Golden Corral kitchen or any Chinese place you would die. Don't eat there!! 

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0471.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

• Like 1

Soo many places are gross...I never liked Golden Coral but my Mom took my Great Grandmother to eat there once when I was a kid. Apparently my Great Grandmother started acting weird and stopped eating, turned out she had a caterpillar that had crawled under her dentures. Last time anyone in my family went there.

I think there's been four places that I've eaten at (all are popular to eat at in Tampa) that have been shut down because of a health inspection. It's gross but it's pretty much guaranteed to be something gross when someone at a restaurant prepares your food. My Dad worked in the seafood industry and he did private industry plant inspections, his inspections were harsher than what the government considers safe...which is disgusting. Papa Johns passed FDA inspections, my Dad failed them for work with an international firm because they had FDA approved number of bugs in their dough. He also found old ingredients from other companies in their plant.

On 3/14/2016 at 7:36 PM, Kato said:

I've been inside a Golden Corral kitchen, it was a disaster. They were gonna hire me to maintain some of their restaurants...glad it didn't go through to be honest.

Its gross, one of the cooks spilled chicken broth all over me and my boots one time. 

On 3/14/2016 at 7:43 PM, 99_XC600 said:

We have one of them up in my area. I refuse to eat anything that came out of that crapwagon.

Its nasty, they have food all over the kitchen and stuff that needs to be refrigerated just sitting around uncovered.   

23 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

Man! Really guys!! Lol A friend of our just invited out this coming weekend to go eat there wow LOL! Guess we gotta cancel

Just eat before you go there and then just say your not feeling good and don't want to eat..lol 

16 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Yup, and than she wonders why she's not making money like she use too.

9 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Yea they don't really do that good of a job if you ask me. Its like doing something to code that's just the minimum you can do so much better to improve things. 

14 hours ago, DR99 said:

Is it just me or does CPVC look cheap as hell? Evey time its just looks so bad :(

Yes, yes and YES!! Cpvc is cheap to buy and install but that's how its done here even in big commercial buildings its used and of course homes. There is only like ten feet of copper in the houses here sometimes even less. This tankless does require 36" of copper on both hot and cold lines then you can transition to cpvc. 

34 minutes ago, Fletcher94 said:

There was a greek restaurant in my area that just got shutdown cause no hot water heater. 

about a year ago there was a McDonald's with mold in there ice machines. 

I've seen some pretty gross studies about what's inside of ice machines when they do cultures. Just be glad our immune system is pretty stout.

This is the main reason I learned to cook for myself. We rarely go out to eat, we have a nice Mexican Restaurant, that I know is clean, and a local pizza joint,  that's in a house converted in to a small restaurant. Restaurant inspections are public, and you can find them online.  That's how I know the 2 places I do eat are clean. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2016 at 11:22 PM, Fletcher94 said:

There was a greek restaurant in my area that just got shutdown cause no hot water heater. 

about a year ago there was a McDonald's with mold in there ice machines. 

\

On 3/20/2016 at 11:57 PM, BMack37 said:

I've seen some pretty gross studies about what's inside of ice machines when they do cultures. Just be glad our immune system is pretty stout.

Ice machines have tons of mold, carry all kinds of bacteria and diseases. Its hard to get them completely clean and its expensive labor wise and so is the cleaner that is use. So most places don't even bother to clean them its nasty 

On 3/20/2016 at 3:12 AM, PROTOOLNUT said:

I like when you find died dogs inside the wall in freezers, true story. 

9 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

This is the main reason I learned to cook for myself. We rarely go out to eat, we have a nice Mexican Restaurant, that I know is clean, and a local pizza joint,  that's in a house converted in to a small restaurant. Restaurant inspections are public, and you can find them online.  That's how I know the 2 places I do eat are clean. 

I'm the same way, for fast food lunch I always go to a major franchise. You can usually see what the kitchen looks because its right it front of you and they make your food where you can see them. A buddy of mines wife got food poisoning a few weeks ago he said dinner for the two of them was almost a hundred bucks. Talk about getting ripped off  

• Like 1

Darn you guys live in some odd places. Health inspectors go through places here like 2x a year if not more. A health inspector doesn't know electrical code, nor plumbing code. You either have correct temperatures or you don't. As long as they don't see certain things on the floors, can openers, fidges, and the equipment holds food at proper temperatures then you will pass.

FWIW there are a lot of places out there with strict cleaning policies where they move equipment on a nightly basis and wash and scrub down everything. (an Olive Garden for example)

BTW you don't need hot water for anything as there are sanitizing chemicals and bleach which do the job in place of hot water.