Framing gun ? Ridgid or Dewalt ?

SevenOddosFence

Im looking into getting a framing gun for an up coming shed project and I can get the Ridgid 3.5" nailer for $229 Lifetime warranty or Dewalt for $179 with a 1 yr warranty to me it seams like a no brainer to go with lifetime warranty but does anyone else have pros or cons to share that might send me another way ?

When I was in a vocational program for construction we used hitatchi an bostich framers. We had a ridgid model but we all hated it. The thing jammed more often. For me the balance wasn't the best either. 

Keep in in mind that was back a few years. Things may have changed by now. 

• Like 1

Hitachi is expensive and the only thing you see on jobsites. I grew up using Hitachi's and won't touch anything else, except if I get the opportunity to grab a Bosch, I will. If you are just doing the shed hand nail it or use screws if you already have a drill. Of you are committed to getting a nailer go with the DeWalt. I have heard nice things about them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Logan p said:

I aways use bostitch and have had a really good experience with them bostitch is owned by Dewalt and I've never had a bad Dewalt tool

i agree, all my air guns are bostitch, no problems, recently picked up the 21 degree framing nailer, not to popular here, plastic collated, but i wanted full round head nail with shank in middle, only gun i think that will handle the hurriquake nail bostitich has. i could be wrong on that though

The only issue with bostich is that you might as well throw away the gun if you need a new part. The whole stanley black and Decker parts and service department is a real cluster I'm not going to finish that one. I had to go through a third party aftermarket part manufacturer to be able to repair a $300+ siding gun. When I worked with my dad he refused to touch anything Bostitch or DeWalt because of it. Hitachi is really the way to go.

• Like 1

Grew up using paslode air framers, then started using bostitch coil framing nail gun, which I really liked. But I wouldn't recommend it because coil framing nails are hard to come by last I checked

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, DR99 said:

A good magnetic bit holder and using torx or star drive screws will make quick work of it. Nails will always be faster, but how fast do you want to go.

Yeah I agree , Your right. Im leaning towards this now. HD sells the torx srews in 5lb boxes. Plus I think screws will be much stronger.

Yeah I agree , Your right. Im leaning towards this now. HD sells the torx srews in 5lb boxes. Plus I think screws will be much stronger.

I could be wrong but generally speaking nails have far greater shear strength compared to screws. There are special load rated screws but general screws are crap when it comes to shearing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noops said:

I could be wrong but generally speaking nails have far greater shear strength compared to screws. There are special load rated screws but general screws are crap when it comes to shearing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This is because there's more variance in screw types than framing nails.  Some people frame decks with drywall screws and wonder why they fall apart.

These are pretty good form experience. http://www.homedepot.com/s/deckmate

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

This is because there's more variance in screw types than framing nails.  Some people frame decks with drywall screws and wonder why they fall apart.

These are pretty good form experience. http://www.homedepot.com/s/deckmate

My pet peeve bro, dry wall screws are for DRYWALL!!! Not installing headers, not assembling things, you drywall!!!! Thats why they have different types of screws... you don't put roofing nails when your installing crown molding.

• Like 1

Sorry, the formatting is all goofy on Tapatalk app.

Nails have a greater sheer strength. Screws are for pull out force.

I like to think of it this way, if you take a deck screw, drive it in half way, then hit it back and forth with a hammer, they tend to snap fairly quickly compared to a framing nail which often takes many many more bends before it brakes off. They are designed completely different. Nail the frame.

Most building codes don't allow for screws in sheer applications. Joist hangers for instance. Always use nails.

• Like 1

I have used Bostitch for ever and have had very little problems with them. When they passed the code here saying you could no longer used clipped head nails I picked up the Dewalt. I picked up the newer DeWalt this past summer when we did the addition and it worked great.

• Like 2